Floyd doesn't hurt his opponents ...

That, plus "boxing" is actually the name of the sport, while "hurt business" just sounds kinda gay.

No more gay than one fighter holding another for long stretches of a fight, which we've seen often enough from more than one fighter lol

Semantics aside, boxing is thinking and hurting someone.

Take care bud!

Ack phantom edits. I can't say I agree with that, anymore than I'd say calling baseball baseball puts more emphasis on fielding than batting. You say that boxing is vague, but I'd counter and say it's broad. When someone say "it's called boxing, not hurting", they're correctly pointing out that while hurting is a part of it, it's not all of it.

Broad can be vague. Depending on what word you are using at the time and what connotations it carries. In that instance it was heavily implied that hurting did not matter, or at least was being deprioritized. Are they technically wrong? Not necessarily, but it was using the word as a tool to discredit someone's opinion that Mayweather doesn't hurt his opponents, which is also a true and appropriate statement - he doesn't really bust them up. And that's as far as I cared to discuss in that particular post at that time regarding the use of the word because I was offering the other balanced view that was being neglected. You were then resurfacing that point that was already recognized and one that I never disagreed with.

Combative sports can be difficult to compare to other sports because while some sports have judging a competitor that competes alone, other ones have active competition between two sides, where there are clearly defined points (field goalds, home runs, etc.). Boxing though takes two people actively competing against one another and then has ambiguous (inconsistency among judges) scoring criteria, and rules that seem to get flexed a lot (so fighters have to resort to protecting themselves at all times lest they get sucker punched). I'm always reticent to even compare combat sports to one another, so the baseball one becomes a tough to stretch across the squared circle to fully appreciate, especially when some people don't give a damn about baseball so it becomes an erroneous conclusion to them (in my case, I don't hate baseball for the record).

That, plus "boxing" is actually the name of the sport, while "hurt business" just sounds kinda gay.

lmao. I have never even heard it also called the Sweet Science of Bruising, The Hurt Business, and The Manly Art of Self-Defense.

Maybe Sweet Science, or Self-defense, but those other adjectives, no.

It is actually quite weird and irritating someone would even suggest people refer to it as the "manly art" or "of bruising". Sounds gay as FUCK

Broad can be vague. Depending on what word you are using at the time and what connotations it carries. In that instance it was heavily implied that hurting did not matter, or at least was being deprioritized.

The context of the thread is also Floyd Mayweather, right? So assuming it was heavily implied, what's the problem? He's gotten away with not badly hurting his opponents for several years and still won huge fights.

Regardless I disagree that was what was heavily implied. I think what was implied, correctly, was that boxing encompasses more than just hurting the other person. Or at least, I'd use the same words to make the same point myself. You don't score a fight a draw because neither fighter really hurt the other one.

Are they technically wrong? Not necessarily, but it was using the word as a tool to discredit someone's opinion that Mayweather doesn't hurt his opponents, which is also a true and appropriate statement - he doesn't really bust them up. And that's as far as I cared to discuss in that particular post at that time regarding the use of the word because I was offering the other balanced view that was being neglected. You were then resurfacing that point that was already recognized and one that I never disagreed with.

Combative sports can be difficult to compare to other sports because while some sports have judging a competitor that competes alone, other ones have active competition between two sides, where there are clearly defined points (field goalds, home runs, etc.). Boxing though takes two people actively competing against one another and then has ambiguous (inconsistency among judges) scoring criteria, and rules that seem to get flexed a lot (so fighters have to resort to protecting themselves at all times lest they get sucker punched). I'm always reticent to even compare combat sports to one another, so the baseball one becomes a tough to stretch across the squared circle to fully appreciate, especially when some people don't give a damn about baseball so it becomes an erroneous conclusion to them (in my case, I don't hate baseball for the record).

If you were just playing the devils advocate there to make sure the neglected point was covered, then I understand the confusion. But if your concern is the context, then I'd say you're overlooking the entire context of this thread which is Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Where are all those jerks who argued with me that Willy Pep could win a round without throwing a punch? I stubbornly come around to entertaining the idea and you fellas hang me out to dry here.

The context of the thread is also Floyd Mayweather, right? So assuming it was heavily implied, what's the problem? He's gotten away with not badly hurting his opponents for several years and still won huge fights.

Regardless I disagree that was what was heavily implied. I think what was implied, correctly, was that boxing encompasses more than just hurting the other person. Or at least, I'd use the same words to make the same point myself. You don't score a fight a draw because neither fighter really hurt the other one.

If you were just playing the devils advocate there to make sure the neglected point was covered, then I understand the confusion. But if your concern is the context, then I'd say you're overlooking the entire context of this thread which is Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Again, I was never disagreeing with anything that you just addressed in your first paragraph. There was no problem. Because I offered up something as a reminder due to an apparent lopsidedness, doesn't mean I disagree.

Significant edit here due my computer (sorry): regarding context (Mayweather, soft-hitting, not sure what you are getting at), I feel that is going to be a quagmire since you feel that I am arguing a point that I am in fact not arguing.

Another edit: it's a bit suprising that it took this far into our conversation to acknowledge that I was addressing what I perceived to be an overlooked/neglected point.

Last edited:
lmao. I have never even heard it also called the Sweet Science of Bruising, The Hurt Business, and The Manly Art of Self-Defense.

Maybe Sweet Science, or Self-defense, but those other adjectives, no.

It is actually quite weird and irritating someone would even suggest people refer to it as the "manly art" or "of bruising". Sounds gay as FUCK

No one's suggesting that you should do so today, but I am probably given some people on here a fair amount of undue credit regarding their understanding of the sport's entirety. Boxing is old and has a lot of literature on it. There is a lot that goes into what you see today. How much have you tried to appreciate anything about it's rich history? Because you label something "gay as fuck", I would say, says a lot about your level of ignorance. Something that could be avoided by either not speaking at all, or by picking up a book. Either way, think before you speak (or, in this case, write).

im sure that if floyd wanted to go for kos he may hae gotten them

i dont think that he wouldve gotten paid anymore so maybe that was his reasoning

im sure that if floyd wanted to go for kos he may hae gotten them

i dont think that he wouldve gotten paid anymore so maybe that was his reasoning
I think he just had soft hands. The only KD of his career was because his hand was fucked.

Has there ever been a master boxer who just couldn't punch enough to keep guys off of him?

You always hear that as a defense of guys like Ward and Mayweather's punching power, but I've never heard of a fighter who was a great boxer but just couldn't punch enough. Paulie? Mora? Those guys still didn't get walked through.

So then who are these fighters who are super skilled but just can't punch enough to be good?

Last edited:
oc78Zqj.gif

Has there ever been a master boxer who just couldn't punch enough to keep guys off of him?

You always hear that as a defense of guys like Ward and Mayweather's punching power, but I've never heard of a fighter who was a great boxer but just couldn't punch enough. Paulie? Mora? Those guys still didn't get walked through.

So then who are these fighters who are super skilled but just can't punch enough to be good?
well, Ivan Calderon was as feather fisted as they come, but he was still an exceptional fighter, so IDK if that applies.

Nicolino Locche was good, and for a guy with 117 wins and only 14 KOs, I think its safe to say he didn't have much power in those sluggers.
Defensive wizard though.
(117-4-14) 14KOs

What's this showing? That Guerrero is a punching bag? Lol Look at him just stand there with his gloves down...

Edit: there are better gifs of Mayweather hitting guys with good shots - pac even, Hatton, etc, unless you weren't looking for that.

It is an area which leaves him trailing in the ATG argument. SRL closed the show in his superfight with Hearns.

What's this showing? That Guerrero is a punching bag? Lol Look at him just stand there with his gloves down...

Edit: there are better gifs of Mayweather hitting guys with good shots - pac even, Hatton, etc, unless you weren't looking for that.

It's a gif of Mayweather using Guerrero as punching bag doing damage - and it's a cool gif.

You're uptight for a canadian.

It's a gif of Mayweather using Guerrero as punching bag doing damage - and it's a cool gif.

You're uptight for a canadian.

Did I say it wasn't a cool gif? That sounds decidedly uptight of you, especially for someone from MA :)

Back