Floyd admits: I'm not the same fighter I was 20 years or even 5 years ago. I'm just an old legend

m0cqwwlrrtbuuadnurzu.gif

He is trolling. This accompanied it

It will be interesting if Floyd had a BJ type drop off, as at 40 years of age, he is pushing it. Just a split second lost in timing and he will be KO'd. Also, we dont know about the toll Gym wars have taken. As Floyd has gotten older, he has started to look more and more autistic for some reason, like his brains have been scrambled. BHop managed to stay so fresh because he was in jail for a long time and not taking trauma to the brain pan, whereas Floyd has been sparring since he was in diapers.
You and @Mixedfights are just awful

Video stops loading after few sec for me :/

But, if he said that.....
giphy.gif
I'm really embarrassed to be an MMA fan to read all these idiotic opinions. We have to be better than this. We should be smarter than this.

- Irrelevant.
- Scientifically incorrect.
- Irrelevant.

PHYSICAL prime is 25. Technical prime is mid to late 30's. Real prime is somewhere in the middle. From 18-25, you don't even have to take care of your body, it takes care of itself. Passed 25 years old, your body starts to deteriorate. You run slower, jump less high and don't recover as fast. An increase in technique can compensate for an decrease in physical capabilities, especially if the person starts to train late in his life, and gives the illusion that your ceiling hasn't dropped but, in reality, a 35-year-old person with a certain amount of training would never outperform his 25-year-old self with the exact same amount of training.

This is correct, I believe. Look at tennis players, who may start training at 4-5 years old, almost always peak with their results at around 25. They max out their training capacity long before physical deterioration sets in. Most fighters do not begin training as early or as intensely so there will be more to gain physically, as well as technically and tactically, after 25 or even 30. Therefore they can peak (long) after their physical decline sets in. Perhaps these ages will come down as MMA becomes more professional and young fighters reach their potential earlier and also fade out earlier.

video is a joke, same dumb routine he's been doing the last 30 years who gives a fuck he's old as shit and has a glass jaw. should have stayed retired old man

Floyd is reminding of Malcom Gedo during the weigh in with Ippo....

This is correct, I believe. Look at tennis players, who may start training at 4-5 years old, almost always peak with their results at around 25. They max out their training capacity long before physical deterioration sets in. Most fighters do not begin training as early or as intensely so there will be more to gain physically, as well as technically and tactically, after 25 or even 30. Therefore they can peak (long) after their physical decline sets in. Perhaps these ages will come down as MMA becomes more professional and young fighters reach their potential earlier and also fade out earlier.
Exactly. The same thing goes for muay thai fighters who have been training all their lives. All of them physically peak at around 25 years old and start to fade afterward. You can't seriously believe 35-year-old muay thai fighters are faster, more explosive and more durable than 25-year-old muay thai fighters, no matter how more technical they are. I thought somebody like @Frode Falch would know enough about muay thai to realize this.

Even if you don't watch tennis or muay thai, take a look at mainstream sports like basketball for instance. There is not a single NBA player who was more athletic at 35 than at 25. You can go through the thousands of players in the history of the league and not find a single. A 1993 Michael Jordan had the complete package of technique and athleticism but, in terms of pure atheticism, a 1988 Michael Jordan who dunked from the free-throw line blows him out of the water.

Mayweather is right but he is also trying to make connor look good and competitive for him.

That said, old mayweather can still make it competitive for current top boxers today.

You must have been terrible at taking care of your body

I agree with this

There are exceptions. You can extend "prime" (peaking)

- genetics
- injury prevention/less wear an tear
- Diet
- wellness/overall lifestyle
- PED's
- proper training (periodizing)

As for fighting. I find the ones that are able to go on longer are the ones that have taken less damage during their career, cut down the volume of fights, and keep themselves regularly healthy and in shape all year around.

There are alot of amateur fighters who are doing well for themselves starting out in their late 20's,30''s and going out to challange themselves well beyond into their 40's.

Rock seems to be still in his prime and looks better than he ever did but ofcourse PEDs and genetics also play a role here as I mentioned.

Exactly. The same thing goes for muay thai fighters who have been training all their lives. All of them physically peak at around 25 years old and start to fade afterward. You can't seriously believe 35-year-old muay thai fighters are faster, more explosive and more durable than 25-year-old muay thai fighters, no matter how more technical they are. I thought somebody like @Frode Falch would know enough about muay thai to realize this.

Even if you don't watch tennis or muay thai, take a look at mainstream sports like basketball for instance. There is not a single NBA player who was more athletic at 35 than at 25. You can go through the thousands of players in the history of the league and not find a single. A 1993 Michael Jordan had the complete package of technique and athleticism but, in terms of pure atheticism, a 1988 Michael Jordan who dunked from the free-throw line blows him out of the water.
But the 1992-1993 Michael Jordan (29-30 years old), was better and could still dunk from the free throw line. Why wouldn't he be able to?

Larry Birds best seasons were when he was in his late 20s early 30s.
In his early 20s he averages around 22-23pts per game.
When he was 32 in 1987-1988 he averaged 29.9 pts and shot .527 from the field, which was his best ever for any season.

- Irrelevant.
- Scientifically incorrect.
- Irrelevant.

PHYSICAL prime is 25. Technical prime is mid to late 30's. Real prime is somewhere in the middle. From 18-25, you don't even have to take care of your body, it takes care of itself. Passed 25 years old, your body starts to deteriorate. You run slower, jump less high and don't recover as fast. An increase in technique can compensate for an decrease in physical capabilities, especially if the person starts to train late in his life, and gives the illusion that your ceiling hasn't dropped but, in reality, a 35-year-old person with a certain amount of training would never outperform his 25-year-old self with the exact same amount of training.
Lol at 25 year old.

Muay thai fighters in thailand look like crap at 25 because they have been getting hit in the head since 10.

At 35 yeah, but that's a whole different story.

People have different bodily characteristics, so this depends entirely on the person. It's not an exact science by any means.

but there is a characteristic range for this at least, a certain small range of physical peak on average across the entire male population.

this is of course, can be different from the sports performance, where May's experience is very good and will hold up against a novice like McGregor.

but there is a characteristic range for this at least, a certain small range of physical peak on average across the entire male population.

this is of course, can be different from the sports performance, where May's experience is very good and will hold up against a novice like McGregor.

"On average" being the key words.

Back