Fixing a pair of headphones? Sony MDR 7506

shonuf

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
The left channel is out again. I've been lucky enough to fix them over the years by just tugging on the wires for long enough of a time that the ear would come back and play. This time i have dead silence. I've opened them and just pulled on the wires trying to get some sound back but i got nothing.

Anyone have any clues on what to do next?

Buy a new pair.

I get through a pair of $100 headphones once a year these days.

I'd make an ad on Craigslist, asking for input from an experienced techie.

im very pro sennhiser, i just want to tell the story.
i had a really decent pair, and was playing (i think) battlefield 2 back in the day.lol
and im sat there, and the left channel keeps dropping out, im in the heat of battle, whacking my ears, trying to stop sound cutting in and out, getting really aggravated..
i look down between my legs, and sat there under the dest is my now 7 year old, but then a 10 month old puppy Siberian husky chewing my lead..

It sounds like something needs to be re-soldered. You can get a soldering Iron and some solder from the hardware store for under $10. It's pretty easy to do. I'm sure there's YouTube videos to help get you started as well.

I got this one from Menard's for like 4 bucks. You only need a cheap 30 watt one for fine wires and electronics.

243-1157_Tool_Shop_Soldering_Iron_Front.jpg

It sounds like something needs to be re-soldered. You can get a soldering Iron and some solder from the hardware store for under $10. It's pretty easy to do. I'm sure there's YouTube videos to help get you started as well.

I got this one from Menard's for like 4 bucks. You only need a cheap 30 watt one for fine wires and electronics.

243-1157_Tool_Shop_Soldering_Iron_Front.jpg

Yeah. I opened it but everything that was soldered (that is visible) is still in place.

Yeah. I opened it but everything that was soldered (that is visible) is still in place.

That's weird. I'm pretty sure there is a wire that travels through the part of your headphones that sits on top of your head. Maybe something got severed in there. It could also be something down by the male end of your input jack, or something in the curly part of the cord from getting stretched out and retracted over the time you've had them.

You could try soldering a new cord into the side of the headphones, or even something like this so you could ad an extension option.

0-3M-font-b-3-5mm-b-font-Stero-Male-to-Female-M-F-Plug-Jack.jpg

Then plug it into a loner one like this.

ABMK_131323065172415312c66v5i5sSq.jpg

You can get cords like this for a couple of dollars online.

If you want to get a new pair for a reasonable price I would recommend these Skull Candy's the bass on them is like nothing I've ever heard on a pair of headphones before. They take a AA battery that powers a little Sub woofer in them that shake your ears (depending on how high you have it set) I use them for my XB1 and they are great for movies and gaming.

I paid $100 for mine but target has them for $70

upload_2017-3-28_16-2-4.png

http://www.target.com/p/skullcandy-crusher-headphones-with-mic-black-s6scdz-003/-/A-14742576

There is also a bluetooth version, but they are $100 more expensive.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-28_16-3-39.png
    upload_2017-3-28_16-3-39.png
    388.8 KB · Views: 1
Back