Fixed fights in MMA (video)

I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next man, but there really isn't much weight behind any allegations of match fixing in the UFC.
You can arguably point at one or two of the very early fights but that's it. Certainly nothing anywhere near as obvious and blantant as the Coleman-Takada finish.

That's not shitting on PRIDE, it's simply what happened.
So, then you agree that none of the great PRIDE fighters were helped by fixed fights? Because there is no proof to the contrary, just conspiracy theory based on fishy fights in the early PRIDE years.

I am just a reflection of you. You are the knowledge ;)

original-7.gif

I want to believe the UFC is still legit but that was one incredibly bad performance that makes you wonder

Which makes no sense when he could make evdn more by winning and holding on to the belt. Between future PPV revenues , endorsements (especially if he'd of beat Conner). Not to mention a rematch it two if he'd of won. Also, Eddie's life long dream was to be and stay UFC champ. It would have been crazy for him to take a dive simply not worth it.

Ishii lost the same way Munoz did against Machida; dropped by a blocked headkick and then follow-up strikes.

Put your hand with an MMA glove up to your temple, then ask a TKD champ or a pro kickboxer/MMA fighter to kick you there as hard as they can.

Let us know how you feel afterwards.

You should be fine since you're "blocking" it, right?

Record and post a video of it too.

So, then you agree that none of the great PRIDE fighters were helped by fixed fights? Because there is no proof to the contrary, just conspiracy theory based on fishy fights in the early PRIDE years.

As far as I'm aware there is no evidence to suggest any of the legendary PRIDE fighters were involved in fixed fight.
The only one that was clearly fixed was the finish of the Coleman-Takada fight.

I know Rampage has made comments about stuff being fixed but you can't take anything that guy says seriously. He's on a wind up 90% of the time.

You realize that the WWF and WCW were never considered fake, or known as fake, until the 1980's. It came about because of the Maryland State Athletic Commission required steroid testing on all fighters. That's when Vince spilled the beans. Fixed sporting events happen from time to time, but it's semi rare. There will never be definitive prof, unless someone comes out and speaks... Like Wanderlei Silva was going to do, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. If boxing did it, MMA can do it.

It really only came out publicly the night Owen Hart died.
That was the first time they ever, on air, stated that it was all scripted and storylined.

I believe that fixed fights still happens today. The UFC does it by, standing only... but it's still fixed. I love the UFC, because It's brought appreciation to the sport. I Feel as though, you can't have a 2 person sport, with money involved. There WILL always be THE FIX, no matter who the promoter is.

Ask me what I would do for $8,000,000.... Then ask a fighter, who normally gets paid $20,000-$80,000, who doesn't have a retirement, healthcare, training camp fees paid for, or a way to support his family after his fighting is over, what he would do?

Are you implying it's the UFC fixing these fights? Or outside influences like book makers approaching the fighters themselves or perhaps fighters Betting against themselves ? Individual fighters doing it once in a while is a completely different things than saying the UFC is involved.

My thinking is unlike boxing where there is so many different parties involved putting on a fight and just one of them can be pressured or have cash issues and can manipulate the outcome. The UFC is basically one big entity that controls everything ( why fighters are paid much less in comparison). Therefore if they were caught by even one loose lipped fighter or manager they could lose their licence and the company ruined. That's a LOT of risk when they're making huge coin. Also if fighters were paid to dive ,what would stop them from coming back to the UFC asking for more and more cash? They'd have to pay otherwise risk being exposed. It's just too damn risky. A fighter doing something on his own is another story.

LOL. Join date. Talks about Pride and Pancrase like he was around back then.

Because, as we all know, join date is synonymous with when you started watching MMA. That must mean your first UFC was UFC 201. I wasn't around back when World War 2 took place. I still magically know about the events that occurred.

Pride and Pancrase both were fraudulent MMA organizations born out of Japanese pro-wrestling.

Which makes no sense when he could make evdn more by winning and holding on to the belt. Between future PPV revenues , endorsements (especially if he'd of beat Conner). Not to mention a rematch it two if he'd of won. Also, Eddie's life long dream was to be and stay UFC champ. It would have been crazy for him to take a dive simply not worth it.

I see your point, but if somebody offered me say, $5 Million under the table to give a lack luster performance, I think I would. Hey, if you're good enough, you can always work your way back up to the top.

The Petruzeli / Slice situation wasn't an example of fixing a fight exactly the promoters just wanted him to stand and bang for an exciting fight - they shouldn't have done that but it's not the same as fixing the outcome. Seth won that fight legit.
Maybe it was because Almeida and Henry, Eddie's coaches, were screaming at the top of their lungs and asking each other why Eddie was doing exactly what he shouldn't be doing from the time the fight started until it was all over.

I see your point, but if somebody offered me say, $5 Million under the table to give a lack luster performance, I think I would. Hey, if you're good enough, you can always work your way back up to the top.

Just think what beating Conner did for Nate, a guy that wasn't a Champ and couldn't get paid much my the UFC at all. That one win over Conner changed Everything for him. Now he's making way more than Five Mil. Got over that in his last fight. Now looking for 20 Mil. That's not even counting sponsors.. In a championship fight against Conner, Eddie would have made more than Nate. I just don't see it. Especially if Eddie truly believed he could win.

Why is there no UFC fights in the video?. Here are some fixed UFC fights that were works...
Anthony Macias vs Oleg Taktarov - UFC 6
Don Frye vs Mark Hall - UFC Ultimate Ultimate 96
Travis Lutter vs Martin Eastman - UFC 50

thats some I know of, but there are probably more..

There is a MMA fighter Tony Bonello who used to fix a lot of his fights, most of his fights were works...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH these are the fights you think we fixed? Get the fuck out of here. LOL. delete ur fucking account. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It really only came out publicly the night Owen Hart died.
That was the first time they ever, on air, stated that it was all scripted and storylined.

Wrong. The internet had made it 'public' before than. That may have been the first time good ole JR said it out loud, but we were all on the internet that night looked at news and rumors. We all knew it was staged.

Nobody mentions it....but I've always suspected GSP vs. Serra as being a little shady, in reality. Think about it, you had your 2 winners from TUF Season 4 getting title shots.......TUF is in a sense, a much bigger hit that most PPV's at that time, would you not want an underdog story winner happening, to further advance the popularity?? Plus, Serra was definitely a stand out figure on the show, due to his personality, coaching ability. Lutter was on the other side of the bracket in the MW title fight, and there was just no personality/marketability there at all.

+GSP is head and shoulders on a different planet at that time, over everybody in the division, including his potential biggest threat, Matt Hughes.

++Hughes and Serra had huge beef on the show. Most casuals would rather see a fight between the 2, from spats on the show, rather than GSP, who wasn't as present as often on the show. Plus....low and behold.....Hughes just had to win 1 fight after losing the belt, later scheduled with Chris Lytle, to get the next title shot. TUF following up just a couple of seasons later then featured Hughes/Serra as coaches, when Serra was still champ, due to the beef. (Much more interesting seeing these 2 verbally spar, than GSP would have been in Hughes place.)

+++If you watch the fight, Joe and Mike kept commenting on how "heavy handed" Matt Serra was, and how much KO power he possessed.....but guess what.....Serra had NEVER KO'd or stopped an opponent due to strikes before this fight, even in the LW Division. (He had a stoppage of Pete Spratt on the TUF exhibition fight due to strikes, no sanctioned fights at all.) Plus, he had just scrapped by Chris Lytle on the TUF final by split decision.

++++Wasn't it easy to think that GSP would easily get his belt back?? He was too young, too good at that time, and actually has no losses on his record since the fight. Dana White repeatedly blamed his loss on "GSP not having his head in the game." We all knew GSP would be a star fighter for years to come, and his overall game at that time kind of changed the game in MMA. Isn't it possible, he might have been given an incentive to "not be on his game" for the evening, knowing that he would rebound, and possibly be admired more for his determination to regain the title he knew was his, and thus receive more sponsors/compensation/star power in the future (which he did)??

Just putting this out there........that fight never set with me as being 100% legit, something just didn't look or seem right to me, but theories abound everywhere. I saw this situation as a rising, young star, complying with the company, for the promise of much more wealth/benefits/recognition in the future for helping the company out this one time....but who is to say????

I think fixed fights happen more often than we care to admit. Most people look for phantom punches as the smoking gun...that's not how fixed fighting works though. There have been fixed fights within the past year for sure. At the end of the day, Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

Back