Five Things about French Wolf Whistles

I don't see being whistled at as any kind of harassment. As several people here already mentioned, the real problem is when things go beyond whistling.

As a social conservative, what do you think of the OP?

Honestly, I have no problem with cracking down on rude and obnoxious behavior in public places. There should be fines, jail time and flogging for things like excessive displays of affection, wolf whistles, loud talking and music, loitering, spitting, littering, sagging pants and so on. I also think there should be curfews for teenagers and a limit to how many can be in a group without adult supervision.

I think wolf whistling is rude and obnoxious. Men should treat women like ladies whether the woman wants to be treated that way or not.

Honestly, I have no problem with cracking down on rude and obnoxious behavior in public places. There should be fines, jail time and flogging for things like excessive displays of affection, wolf whistles, loud talking and music, loitering, spitting, littering, sagging pants and so on. I also think there should be curfews for teenagers and a limit to how many can be in a group without adult supervision.

I think wolf whistling is rude and obnoxious. Men should treat women like ladies whether the woman wants to be treated that way or not.
Pathetic that you want the law to regulate something like rude behavior or people's behavior in genera.

I wonder if you feel that way if voting blocks change and say for example you end up in a Muslim district where they might have different ideas of what is rude or modest. Would you be so willing to have them use law to force you and your family to live to their expectations?

I don't see being whistled at as any kind of harassment. As several people here already mentioned, the real problem is when things go beyond whistling.
I get that there might be days that a woman is simply not in the mood to be flirted with. And there are other days where it might make her day.

But to try and raise something as harmless as being whistled at to an offence level is crazy. Just because something may be annoying on any given day does not mean it should be a crime.

Pathetic that you want the law to regulate something like rude behavior or people's behavior in genera.

I wonder if you feel that way if voting blocks change and say for example you end up in a Muslim district where they might have different ideas of what is rude or modest. Would you be so willing to have them use law to force you and your family to live to their expectations?

I am willing to go to war against Islam.

There is a time and a place for things. Acting rude and obnoxious in public is not the time or place and a strong message should be sent that poor behavior will not be tolerated in public spaces.

To go through life as a beautiful woman is an enormous burden in and of itself. Guys, don't compound a beautiful woman's struggles with your wolf whistles.

But to try and raise something as harmless as being whistled at to an offence level is crazy.

Or maybe it's time we stopped mincing words and called it what it really is: Acoustic rape.

There is a time and a place for things. Acting rude and obnoxious in public is not the time or place and a strong message should be sent that poor behavior will not be tolerated in public spaces.
You're really not making a lot of sense.

Whether its Islam or not you seem to be assuming that whoever makes the rules on what is or is not appropriate behaviour will agree with your view of what is appropriate.

What if whoever is making the rules imposes rules you completely disagree with. Are you still going to be ok with them using the law to force you to comply?

I think many people who answer as you do always assume it will be the rules you support imposed on others and therefore you are ok with it but what about when its rules you do not like or agree with, will you still support that law being made?

You're really not making a lot of sense.

Whether its Islam or not you seem to be assuming that whoever makes the rules on what is or is not appropriate behaviour will agree with your view of what is appropriate.

What if whoever is making the rules imposes rules you completely disagree with. Are you still going to be ok with them using the law to force you to comply?

I think many people who answer as you do always assume it will be the rules you support imposed on others and therefore you are ok with it but what about when its rules you do not like or agree with, will you still support that law being made?

Why do you assume that having certain laws against rude and obnoxious behavior will look Islamic? Where did I ask for women to be beaten because their ankle was kind of showing? Most of the obnoxiousness I am opposed to is already frowned upon or against the law it is just not punished harshly enough. Nobody wants to watch people making out in public or listen to people speak far too loudly using foul language. Nobody wants to listen to someone's loud music blaring, especially if it is rap. Many people want to kick a fool's ass for wearing his pants too low. What business do teenagers have being outside in unsupervised groups after 11pm anyway? They should be at home preparing for the next day of school. I also think parents should be punished in some way for the misbehavior of their children.

If you focus on preventing the little things like obnoxious behavior in public, then you prevent a lot of bigger trouble later.

Why do you assume that having certain laws against rude and obnoxious behavior will look Islamic?...
I don't.

You do not understand how examples work. That is the problem.

My point to you was that YOU seem to assume whoever makes these rules will make rules that you like and that fit within your moral code and will be ones you want to follow and therefore you are willing to impose them on others.

But there is another possibility. What if the rules are not ones you like or feel you can follow morally or in good conscious? are you still ok with others imposing them on by law?

Legalize dueling with blades for matters of public and personal honor. Might be a few nicer people when getting cut, slashed or stabbed is on the line.

I don't.

You do not understand how examples work. That is the problem.

My point to you was that YOU seem to assume whoever makes these rules will make rules that you like and that fit within your moral code and will be ones you want to follow and therefore you are willing to impose them on others.

But there is another possibility. What if the rules are not ones you like or feel you can follow morally or in good conscious? are you still ok with others imposing them on by law?

I understand what you are saying. I agree with the arguments against legislating morality and behavior. I am just stating a piece of my utopian vision that I know will never come to fruition. Reformation of morality and behavior is best done through influential grassroots movements and institutions that hold limited social power. Genuine change in people happens when they change themselves willingly.

wolf-whistle.jpg

Legalize dueling with blades for matters of public and personal honor. Might be a few nicer people when getting cut, slashed or stabbed is on the line.

The lack of shame is a big problem. People act like retards because they know they will not face consequences. In a country like South Korea or Japan groups of people will call you out or you may even receive a smack to the back of your head if you act like an asshole in public.

Though, things may change moving forward with everyone recording each other and then posting it on social media for the outraged twitter mob to deal with.

In a country like South Korea or Japan groups of people will call you out or you may even receive a smack to the back of your head if you act like an asshole in public.

Can't speak to SK but your perspective on Japan is a Western caricature. Japanese school girls getting groped on trains is a massive problem - and made worse by the fact that the culture tends to wink at the behavior.

Can't speak to SK but your perspective on Japan is a Western caricature. Japanese school girls getting groped on trains is a massive problem - and made worse by the fact that the culture tends to wink at the behavior.

You may be able to grope schoolgirls on a train, but you will hear about it if you get too obnoxious in a public place.

From todays National Post Newspaper (can't find the article online).

Five Things about French Wolf Whistles (abridged)

1. They will soon be illegal.

Men who wolf whistle or are aggressively treacherous toward women in French streets face fines under a new law to be passed next year. ...The country's Gender Equality Minister said...

2. The President wouldn't whistle.

Emmanuel Macron, the President, said he wants to tackle male attitudes in public spaces and will send community police to enforce the new law. ...

3. Pigs Whistle

Announcement of the new bill came amid heated debate in France over what constitutes harassment... French women flooded Twitter on the weekend to recount their experiences of being harassed at work. Some 86,000 posted comments under the hashtag #balancetonporc or "squeal on your pig". ...

4. There's a Task Force

A task force composed of 5 MP's has been asked to work with police and magistrates to come up with a definition of harassment that can be enforced by officers on the streets.

There're only 4 things here.

Going mad trying to imagine what the 5th thing about wolf whistles is.

Had this gorgeous girlfriend that got a lot of whistles and she really liked it. We were tied to a fuel dock where a crab boat going by blew its whistle at her several times. Everyone looked over to see what was going on and there she was on deck looking super hot.

It put her in a great mood. Most girls like it don't they?

It’s not the one’s being whistled at who get offended and make these rules. It’s the one eye’d gap toothed near sighted gnarly wool sweater wearing bike riding but still overweight tit sags who aren’t getting any attention that despise it.

Back