Fish oil and Lethargy

rookie belt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been taking fish oil for 2 days, 2 tablets (bottle recommends 3) and i've started to feel VERY lethargic and tired and sleepy all the time now. After my first dose in the morning at 11 am, its put me to sleep for about an hour. My second dose caused me to feel tired. This morning after a dose I felt tired and sleepy and was basically zoned out.

I'm getting my hours of sleep and I havnt been working out extra. I'm feeling it harder to focus especially when I lift.

ANyone have the same problem?

No. I take about 5000 mg per day and I have plenty of energy

havent heard of that before. i would assume its just a coincidence. are you taking anything other than the fish oil? how much sleep are you getting? whats your exercise routine consisting of? diet?

wow - that is some strong fish oil

Dude stop taking those now. You may have gotten a bad batch of fish oil tablets containing higher levels of mercury.

Symptoms of Chronic Mercury Poisoning

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM

irritability
anxiety/nervousness, often with difficulty in breathing
restlessness
exaggerated response to stimulation
fearfulness
emotional instability
-lack of self control
-fits of anger, with violent, irrational behavior
loss of self confidence
indecision
shyness or timidity, being easily embarrassed
loss of memory
inability to concentrate
lethargy/drowsiness

insomnia
mental depression, despondency
withdrawal
suicidal tendencies
manic depression

numbness and tingling of hands, feet, fingers, toes, or lips
muscle weakness progressing to paralysis
ataxia
tremors/trembling of hands, feet, lips, eyelids or tongue
incoordination
myoneural transmission failure resembling Myasthenia Gravis

I would stop taking them and contact the manufacturer immediately.

Dude stop taking those now. You may have gotten a bad batch of fish oil tablets containing higher levels of mercury.

jesus...

pretty sure you are not going to get mercury poisoning from taking a couple of pills, it needs to build in your system for a while. But, any quality fish oil should be certified mercury free. I usually use this Nature Made Fish Oil 1200 mg

havent heard of that before. i would assume its just a coincidence. are you taking anything other than the fish oil? how much sleep are you getting? whats your exercise routine consisting of? diet?

Well I'll try to sleep an hour more. I'm gettign about 8 hours of sleep. or so i'm pretty sure I am. I am taking nothing else. except creatine and protein.
Im doing the west side conjugate method currently. I've thought maybe working in my 1 RM too much is an overload on my CNS causing this, but I dont think so.

I've heard of that, but it seems so rare to happen. its a well known brand in the pharmacies we have here. "jamieson"
I'll see if I can return these and get a different batch from the store.

I'm going to stop taking these for a few days and see if anything improves.
Theres no muscle weakness, I can push through, its just mental focus.

OH! and last night I had like 4 or 5 pizza slices lol, so that coudl definately contribute to this mornings laziness. Doesnt explain the lethargy from yesterday though. Will contact manufactuerer, lay off the pills for a few days, and see a doctor if time permits.

I've been taking fish oil for 2 days, 2 tablets (bottle recommends 3) and i've started to feel VERY lethargic and tired and sleepy all the time now.

That is not really enough fish oil to be doing anything, especially if it is the regular stuff you find at the supermarket, which tend to be 30% omega-3. Your basically taking fat pills, and not really that much of the good kind of fat is in them. They really aren't doing anything, at all, more than likely. Your lethargy is due to something else, probably environmental or stress related.

That is not really enough fish oil to be doing anything, especially if it is the regular stuff you find at the supermarket, which tend to be 30% omega-3. Your basically taking fat pills, and not really that much of the good kind of fat is in them. They really aren't doing anything, at all, more than likely. Your lethargy is due to something else, probably environmental or stress related.

dont give out "advice" on the subject when youre making threads regarding the percentage you should be taking per day.

I reckon I will reply to threads where I feel I have something to offer. In my other thread I'm looking for 100% omega-3's, what's the problem PoundUmOut2?

you dont know what youre talking about.

basically.

you arent sure what the proper dosage is to begin with, youre not sure what hes taking, but youre telling him hes not taking enough.

Back on topic.. really though, 2 fish oil pills a day, will not produce the effects you are describing. What will produce those effects are a serious change at work, or something like that, a major-stressor. Do you work full time? I'm in a heavily populated office 40+ hours a week, it's horrible for your health.

but youre telling him hes not taking enough.

Correct. And wow, you edit fast sir!

And if you think there is a "proper dosage" with regard to fish oil, you are mistaken. There are target ratio's, the proper dosage depends on your goals and what the rest of your diet consists of. Thought you knew this PoundEmOut2!

its been aprox 10 hours since my last pill. I feel slightly better. I am constantly stressed with things (I have a lot going on), but I can always tell the difference between stress related / over worked fatigue and whatever im feeling now. Last time i felt like this was because I was over sleeping. I never get this due to under sleep, its a different kind of stress.

I've probably just barely been getting 8 hours. will sleep 8 today w/o pills. if i dont return it means im dead lol

If you suspect you got some bad pills you should toss them and get a new brand immediately. Why keep taking them? Get some other ones and see if you feel the same way. Could be you have some rare-reaction to fish oil? I'm sure PoundEmOut will come back and tell me I'm wrong there too, wow that guy is mad.

oh ya im furious.

no, im not. just saying you should educate yourself before passing on fawlty information like youre doing now. google. use it.

You sir, are just being angry. There is nothing "faulty" about what I am saying. Yo.

Can't we just get along. I don't get it. I like Barack, I'm progressive.

Back