First Trans woman elected to state office, defeats bathroom bill writer

Not always, sometimes treatment is used to reduce the severity of symptoms and allow for better functioning as is the case with gender dysphoria.

In the case of depression. you may still have depression after getting treatment but the treatment would be a success if it helps you deal with it and helps you function in your daily existence more effectively.

okay, let's use your example, with depression you are receiving psychiatric medications, and psychological therapy, and your treatment is administered by psychologists and psychiatrists (sometimes by PCP's if you live in the sticks), and you don't go outside of those areas of practice. With gender identity, when psychological and psychiatric treatments "fail," you leave those areas of practice and undergo a surgical procedure and/or are treated by a urologist and/or endocrinologist for hormone therapy. So, therefore you are no longer being treated for a mental disorder anymore than a man who is taking TRT is being treated for a mental disorder when he is undergoing hormone therapy.

okay, let's use your example, with depression you are receiving psychiatric medications, and psychological therapy, and your treatment is administered by psychologists and psychiatrists (sometimes by PCP's if you live in the sticks), and you don't go outside of those areas of practice. With gender identity, when psychological and psychiatric treatments "fail," you leave those areas of practice and undergo a surgical procedure and/or are treated by a urologist and/or endocrinologist for hormone therapy. So, therefore you are no longer being treated for a mental disorder anymore than a man who is taking TRT is being treated for a mental disorder when he is undergoing hormone therapy.
If you're not being treated for a mental disorder with gender reassignment surgery then what are you being treated for? These people often have perfectly functioning bodies so its not as if they have a physical condition. Even many trans-activist disagree with you here as removing the label of "mental illness" would reduce access to such procedures because otherwise they're elective and cosmetic procedures, not treatment. The activist who disagree do so mainly on the basis that the label has a negative stigma associated with it, or in other words it hurts their feelings.

If you're not being treated for a mental disorder with gender reassignment surgery then what are you being treated for? These people often have perfectly functioning bodies so its not as if they have a physical condition. Even many trans-activist disagree with you here as removing the label of "mental illness" would reduce access to such procedures because otherwise they're elective and cosmetic procedures, not treatment. The activist who disagree do so mainly on the basis that the label has a negative stigma associated with it, or in other words it hurts their feelings.

you are being treated for a congenital abnormality, e.g., people born with cleft palates have perfectly functioning bodies, and will survive without surgery to repair the cleft, but will have a much better quality of life (they are a population that experiences higher rates of mental health issues than the general population) if they undergo surgery.

and come on, are you seriously suggesting that the term "mental disorder" isn't used to try to slough these people off as crazy? That was what I was responding to originally.

and right, the DSM mostly exists at this point so that mental health professionals can bill insurance companies, and I don't blame activists for saying that the end of insurance companies paying for treatment justify the means of it being classified as a mental disorder.

you are being treated for a congenital abnormality, e.g., people born with cleft palates have perfectly functioning bodies, and will survive without surgery to repair the cleft, but will have a much better quality of life (they are a population that experiences higher rates of mental health issues than the general population) if they undergo surgery.

and come on, are you seriously suggesting that the term "mental disorder" isn't used to try to slough these people off as crazy? That was what I was responding to originally.

and right, the DSM mostly exists at this point so that mental health professionals can bill insurance companies, and I don't blame activists for saying that the end of insurance companies paying for treatment justify the means of it being classified as a mental disorder.
I didn't suggest that at all, I was just correcting you when you said that the people who study and treat gender dysphoria don't consider it a mental disorder. Its an ongoing debate but as of now its still considered a mental disorder by some authoritative sources and institutions so your assertion was incorrect. If you have a problem with people using that label to disparage them, don't spread falsehoods but simply call them an asshole for shaming someone for having a mental illness.

I didn't suggest that at all, I was just correcting you when you said that the people who study and treat gender dysphoria don't consider it a mental disorder. Its an ongoing debate but as of now its still considered a mental disorder by some authoritative sources and institutions so your assertion was incorrect. If you have a problem with people using that label to disparage them, don't spread falsehoods but simply call them an asshole for shaming someone for having a mental illness.

Yeah, if you are coming solely from a place of medical classification, which is sure as shit a more nuanced debate (full of many historical, cultural, philosophical, and pragmatic underpinnings) than your average sherdogger is capable of, then yeah, that is what bucket you put it in to start. But, it certainly isn't a "mental illness" in the way that trans haters try to say it is, like they are suffering from disorganized schizophrenia or something and the gender identity issue is a symptom of that, as opposed to it being a complicated disorder that involves many systems of the body.

Yeah, if you are coming solely from a place of medical classification, which is sure as shit a more nuanced debate (full of many historical, cultural, philosophical, and pragmatic underpinnings) than your average sherdogger is capable of, then yeah, that is what bucket you put it in to start. But, it certainly isn't a "mental illness" in the way that trans haters try to say it is, like they are suffering from disorganized schizophrenia or something and the gender identity issue is a symptom of that, as opposed to it being a complicated disorder that involves many systems of the body.
Sure the way some Sherdoggers talk about it is silly but that doesn't change the basic fact that its categorized as a mental disorder by relevant authoritative institutions and thus your earlier statement was false.But I suppose we can agree that the conversation around the issue in the WR lacks the necessary nuance to take that basic fact into a meaningful direction and not just partisan virtue signaling.

Sure the way some Sherdoggers talk about it is silly but that doesn't change the basic fact that its categorized as a mental disorder by relevant authoritative institutions and thus your earlier statement was false.But I suppose we can agree that the conversation around the issue in the WR lacks the necessary nuance to take that basic fact into a meaningful direction and not just partisan virtue signaling.

agreed, and the original post that I responded to said that Danica Roem was suffering from a "mental illness" not a "mental disorder," which is different, as having a disorder that has been treated into remission, and being ill, are different.

agreed, and the original post that I responded to said that Danica Roem was suffering from a "mental illness" not a "mental disorder," which is different, as having a disorder that has been treated into remission, and being ill, are different.
Now that just sounds like a distinction without a difference.

I think the OP meant "first man who dresses like a woman".

Then again, who fucking knows..

she is no longer suffering gender dysphoria now that she is no longer a dude. so put that in your pipe and smoke it sweetheart. and pass the pipe to @ShinkanPo when you are done.
th
Did her chromosome levels change?

FACT: if you have sex with a transexual as a man, you're at least bisexual.

The line is drawn. The 1st amendment allows free speech and you can use the labels you want for other people, they just don't need to accept them.

Trans exist so your kids will probably learn it does. You can teach them whatever you want about the subject but it's not society's job to hide the topic from them for you or address it the way you wish.

No one has ever been labeled a bigot by society for not sleeping with someone. That's an irrational fear and if you want to the right to label people what you want then you should accept some people have the right to label you a bigot and the world won't end and everyone moves on with their lives.

Oh boy, you are naive.

No one has ever been labeled a bigot by society for not sleeping with someone. That's an irrational fear and if you want to the right to label people what you want then you should accept some people have the right to label you a bigot and the world won't end and everyone moves on with their lives.
maybe "society" hasn't, but transactivists have. a lot of lesbians have been called bigots for not being attracted to trans women and their male body(parts). it's an ongoing discussion, and lesbians are absolutely being pressured into having sex with trans women.

Back