First time training at new school and, it sucked

oldmansmoker

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Holy shit, I'm used to training at a big school with lots of students of various ranks. No matter what class, we always warmup, work on basic stuff like shrimping and other bjj movements, technique then roll. Today, I was in a class full of white belts at a new, super small school. I thought they would follow a similar structure. I felt so bad for the white belts, because they were doing some really hard movements. These were 2nd day white belts and stuff. There was no shrimping or other movements to gradually get you into bjj. The had mid 40s lady drilling front flips and shit, like a vaulted somersault. Ijust feel sorry for the white belts.

At the start of class, she told me she doesn't think she could do it anymore. I told her BJJ is super fun and easy and you just have to have fun and relax. After this shit, I think i know why she may have that perspective. There's hella old ladies at my other school. And any white belt, regardless of age, we always go through basic, slow movements, sorry guys, this is bullshit.

Just had to rant to someone

P.s coach didn't help walk the white belts through the technique like most coaches would. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but dat was some bullshit

that sucks. i've been in that kind of situation before. if this gym is your only option then there's not much you can do but try to help those whitebelts learn the basics and make them better training partners. class might be BS but you can do a lot with sparring time, and you can always set up training sessions outside of class where the more advanced students teach the beginners

what school is this? the coach seems like he doesnt care about the students. Total negligence

I definitely understand your frustration. Poorly run classes drag down participation for the whole area. If that's the impression they get from BJJ, they don't just quit; they spread that perception to others.

what rank was the instructor?? was the school affiliated with a bigger school?? sounds odd

The instructor is not a black belt, just newly promoted to brown. It is an affilated school, sorry guys, just had to rant. I don't want to out anyone atm. I'll let you know how it goes when I go back.

Must.have been a CTC. They all suck and they are only in for the money and marketing. Probably was a 14 year old girl who was wearing a TKD black belt.

Seriously though. Teaching isn't for everyone.

That sucks. Is the instructor fairly young? I had a really young athletic instructor once who wanted us to do all these crazy but legit wrestling moves like suplexes and firemans carry. The problem is we were all in our late 30s and early 40s. We finally had to tell him we weren't going to do it. I mean an older guy tried it and fucked up his shoulder.

He did show us double and single legs but he was determined for us to do these really advanced wrestling moves. It was a little bit frustrating but we were able to talk to him. He still tried and when he did we would say I will never ever do this technique. I mean he was a good guy just was stubborn about those techniques.

That sucks. Is the instructor fairly young? I had a really young athletic instructor once who wanted us to do all these crazy but legit wrestling moves like suplexes and firemans carry. The problem is we were all in our late 30s and early 40s. We finally had to tell him we weren't going to do it. I mean an older guy tried it and fucked up his shoulder.

He did show us double and single legs but he was determined for us to do these really advanced wrestling moves. It was a little bit frustrating but we were able to talk to him. He still tried and when he did we would say I will never ever do this technique. I mean he was a good guy just was stubborn about those techniques.
A suplay requires a fair bit of athleticism, but what version of a fireman's were you doing that's horribly taxing?

A suplay requires a fair bit of athleticism, but what version of a fireman's were you doing that's horribly taxing?
Maybe he was teaching it wrong and I know I was doing it wrong but it just seemed really technical for a us older guys.

When I started at my school, there wasn't a fundamentals class. Regardless of belt color, we were all lumped into one class. Pretty frustrating. Anyway, I knew I wasn't getting what I needed with respect to fundamentals so I reached out to GB school in the next town over for private lessons. The Black Belt turned me on to one of his Purple belts that was going to Worlds and could use the spare change for the trip. Super great guy and he'd bring his younger brother to be my stunt dummy. I learned a lot. I think I leaped frog about a year in about 2 months of weekly privates.
After about 1 year as a Blue, I started teaching Fundamentals on Saturday mornings to brand new White Belts and have been doing it ever since. I wanted to ensure that they didn't feel the frustration I felt. My way of giving back.
You can lose a lot of new comers if you don't give them the basic tools as well as encouragement. Lost of people think that there is something wrong with them because they're not able to "do it" as quickly as they think they should be.

Thats strange, something like this you expect at a bigger place not a smaller one, but I guess its not always black and white.

Back