First time renting a car

I've just rented a car online for my trip to California. It's my first time doing this. I got a Mitsubishi Mirage, which is the smallest and cheapest car available, and I didn't pay for any extra options or coverage. Anything I should be aware of?

I set the pick up time for 30 minutes after my arrival and set the drop off 3 hours before my departure. That should be good right? Since I didn't pay for a navigation system, are there any navigation apps you guys recommend?

They'll try to get extra $ from you by selling you their insurance, but your own insurance might cover it so double check that before you throw away extra $.

The car you rented is not the one you will necessarily get. You might actually get a bigger car.

You should have picked a better car mirage's are garbage

I've just rented a car online for my trip to California. It's my first time doing this. I got a Mitsubishi Mirage, which is the smallest and cheapest car available, and I didn't pay for any extra options or coverage. Anything I should be aware of?

I set the pick up time for 30 minutes after my arrival and set the drop off 3 hours before my departure. That should be good right? Since I didn't pay for a navigation system, are there any navigation apps you guys recommend?
If your a Costco member, they have some really great deals, and you'll get priority service. Always book a rental car with a credit card, not your debit card. They can place large holds on your account, and just in case they try to say you damaged something, they will take the money out right away. Much easier to contest and get back with a credit card. Also many credit cards have a free rental car insurance policy, so double check that. I just rented a brand new fully loaded Yukon, unlimited millage, for 10 days, and it was only $32 a day. Prices also change hourly, so check the prices often.

What part of Cali? If you say LA, there's a few things we should talk about. I won't list everything, but here's the main thing to remember:

1) Driving in LA sucks!!! They are aggressive, arrogant, and will straight up wreck your car in a hot minute. That and traffic.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll definitely take some of the advice here. Waze is good to know about.

You should have picked a better car mirage's are garbage
I was trying to get the cheapest car with the best gas mileage. The next cheapest I found online was an extra 200 bucks so I went with the Mirage. I'm only using it for 2 weeks so should be no problem right? I am poor BTW

What part of Cali? If you say LA, there's a few things we should talk about. I won't list everything, but here's the main thing to remember:

1) Driving in LA sucks!!! They are aggressive, arrogant, and will straight up wreck your car in a hot minute. That and traffic.

What other things to remember? I'm from Seoul so dealing with shitty, aggressive drivers isn't really a new thing for me. My friends tell it won't be as bad as Seoul.

You should be good, just put the rental on your CC and you will have insurance anyway.

Google Maps works fine for navigation as people have stated.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll definitely take some of the advice here. Waze is good to know about.

I was trying to get the cheapest car with the best gas mileage. The next cheapest I found online was an extra 200 bucks so I went with the Mirage. I'm only using it for 2 weeks so should be no problem right? I am poor BTW

What other things to remember? I'm from Seoul so dealing with shitty, aggressive drivers isn't really a new thing for me. My friends tell it won't be as bad as Seoul.

Waze does work well.

The mirage will be perfectly fine.

The driving is just fine.

I like getting ones with the power shifter and pretending im paul walker. I almost fucked up a VW Bug i rented cause i forgot i was in semi auto mode and the car didnt shift for some reason. I was at like 6k RPM in 2nd gear going like 40.

You should be good, just put the rental on your CC and you will have insurance anyway.

Google Maps works fine for navigation as people have stated.
Where are you guys getting the information its covered under the credit card? I always decline the coverage cause Im pretty sure my auto insurance covers rental cars but I always put the cars on credit cards too.

Where are you guys getting the information its covered under the credit card? I always decline the coverage cause Im pretty sure my auto insurance covers rental cars but I always put the cars on credit cards too.
A lot of CC companies will provide coverage. I’m pretty sure Amex does.

Sometimes if you reserve a car they don’t have it and will upgrade u to something better for the same price you agreed to.

Driving in LA is a pain for sure. Be ready to sit in traffic.

Waze is great but in LA it can really lead you through some shitty streets and areas. I actually wouldn’t recommend waze unless ur familiar with LA. But maybe someone who drives in LA more than me can provide more insight.

What are you in LA for ? What kind of places will u be driving to ?

Man one thing I just realized is that it'll be my first time in more than 10 years to drive using miles. I got so used to using km. Not that it would be a huge deal.

I use mainly my Chase Saphire Reserve card which says:

Decline the rental company’s collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to $75,000 for theft and collision damage for rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.2

Waze is great but in LA it can really lead you through some shitty streets and areas. I actually wouldn’t recommend waze unless ur familiar with LA. But maybe someone who drives in LA more than me can provide more insight.
There are shitty areas a quick walk from really wealthy blocks. Either way I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt Waze is going to take him through Nickerson or Imperial Courts for the type of trip he's on. Even then, they'd probably think he owns the liquor store down the street. It's not the 90's anymore, no one is shooting at the guy who sells Henny, Red Bull, and blunt wraps.

I always decline the Insurance since I travel quite often (I made sure my Insurance covers me), one time Enterprise hit me with a $2600 bill for bumper&fender damage that I never caused. My Insurance company worked it out with them but it was total BS. They straight up target people who decline the insurance.

I've always wanted to rent a Mitsubishi but the dream has always been just out of my grasp. Renting a Mitsubishi is definitely up there on my bucket list because lets face it, who here hasn't gotten as hard as a diamond in an ice storm at the thought of renting a Mitsubishi? The 105* California air flowing over your bald head as you ride with the top down. The feel of the steering wheel vibrating in your hands as the rented Mitsubishi power plant works overtime to get you to 55mph. Make sure you carry a stick with you because you're going to need it to beat off all the LA dimes that are surely going to be throwing themselves at the rented Mitsubishi as you cruise by Burger King for a 20pc nugget. Envious is not a strong enough word for the emotions that I feel knowing that it is you and not I that will be rolling deep in a rented Mitsubishi.

There are shitty areas a quick walk from really wealthy blocks. Either way I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt Waze is going to take him through Nickerson or Imperial Courts for the type of trip he's on. Even then, they'd probably think he owns the liquor store down the street. It's not the 90's anymore, no one is shooting at the guy who sells Henny, Red Bull, and blunt wraps.
I miss da 90s man. Are you afraid of the dark, early ufc , Eddie Jones

check with your credit card company, most of them have coverage. As far as your personal car insurance, you need to see what the coverage is. In most cases they only cover the basic requirements which is PIP. So basically they will cover the other guy and his vehicle but not the rental car or certainly not the deductible if you have one on your policy.

Then again it's a Mirage, so if you offer them your pocket change they'll just let you keep it and call it even.

Make sure your phone will work there and check the cost of service.

Maybe get a refurbished Garmin if you know someone there to send it to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back