First time agreeing with Cody

Sano

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
About the Joe Daddy situation.

Concussions are no jokes, the brain needs time to heal. He took a hell of beating, he has incredible heart and chin, but fighting 6 days after that is not good for anyones health. I'd go as far as to say it's irresponsible.

He did look like he was alright, but true symptoms often happen in a few days and he's most like the kind of guy to keep quiet about it.

Coaches have the responsibility to protect fighters from themselves sometimes, no one wants to back down from a fight. Don't know man. Hope he can take Hassan down and not take too much damage, otherwise it doesn't bode well.

You'd hope/assume that a doctor's given him a check over and some sort of concussion test before clearing him to fight? It's common in a lot of sports now so I just assume the UFC do them after fights.

I can see the logic behind the wildcard picks as Dana like fighters who stand and bang but I can only see one winner. Having either of them back and in the 1/4 final draw is pointless as they'll just lose again.

This season has been very disappointing so far.

The thing is the athletic comision forces you to take a break if you are concused since that is a TKO. Joe Daddy took a beating but was not wobbly in the fight so nothing points to him having a concussion. Using that logic none of the fighters on TUF who were in Wars win or loose should be allowed to fight. Cody simply assumed both wildcards will be his

I get the 30/60/90 day automatic suspensions for a TKO/KO's but in other sports where players take a big hit like in the NFL, NBA or in rugby, the player goes for a concussion test during the match before being able to play again. If a player fails the test they're suspended from the game and there are are further tests later on that they need to pass before they can play again next week.

So I assumed that the UFC would do the same sort of thing for all fighters after their fights. It's possible that I'm wrong and they don't but with how litigious people are in the US it's the sort of thing they should do to avoid possible huge lawsuits in the future.

He didnt get TKOd or KOd

Yeah he ate some strikes but I think Cody just wanted to get more of his guys back in the show.

The thing is the athletic comision forces you to take a break if you are concused since that is a TKO. Joe Daddy took a beating but was not wobbly in the fight so nothing points to him having a concussion. Using that logic none of the fighters on TUF who were in Wars win or loose should be allowed to fight. Cody simply assumed both wildcards will be his
He didnt get TKOd or KOd

Yeah he ate some strikes but I think Cody just wanted to get more of his guys back in the show.
You don't have to be TKO'd or KO'd to sustain a concussion. Actually it's more often than not the case, as loss of consciousness is only thought to occur in 10% of all concussion cases*.

It's all about the symptoms. The headache usually sneaks up on you in a few days and then there's the more serious symptoms. I know, I've had a few.

Now, I don't know if Cody was playing the game or whatever, but I believe him when he said that he's dealt with it and that it's a bitch. I also don't know if Joe Daddy has sustained a concussion. He might not have, but with the accumulative damage it's still not smart. Either way, I hope that the doctors do infact clear the fighters even if they are not TKO'd or KO'd on the show, especially after a war like that. And yes, he did get wobbled a few times and rocked, but he also seemed relatively fine afterwards.

*https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-facts-about-concussions

You don't have to be TKO'd or KO'd to sustain a concussion. Actually it's more often than not the case, as loss of consciousness is only thought to occur in 10% of all concussion cases*.

It's all about the symptoms. The headache usually sneaks up on you in a few days and then there's the more serious symptoms. I know, I've had a few.

Now, I don't know if Cody was playing the game or whatever, but I believe him when he said that he's dealt with it and that it's a bitch. I also don't know if Joe Daddy has sustained a concussion. He might not have, but with the accumulative damage it's still not smart. Either way, I hope that the doctors do infact clear the fighters even if they are not TKO'd or KO'd on the show, especially after a war like that. And yes, he did get wobbled a few times and rocked, but he also seemed relatively fine afterwards.

If there were serious health concerns, I doubt they'd even consider letting him fight again.

Cody was playing the game trying to get more of his guys back into the competition.

I agree you don't have to be TKO'd I oversimplyfied but the athletic comission still has to clear you. That is why Justin wasn't picked.

And yeah I know a concussion is a bitch. Different sport but I've been concussed a few times.

If there were serious health concerns, I doubt they'd even consider letting him fight again.

Cody was playing the game trying to get more of his guys back into the competition.
Let's hope so. Just saying that 6 days after a fight like that is not a reasonable time to recover in. You can hardly decipher how he's doing in that time, even with a doctors assessment.

Not saying he'll keel over or anything, just agree with Cody here, which is a first for me.

Let's hope so. Just saying that 6 days after a fight like that is not a reasonable time to recover in. You can hardly decipher how he's doing in that time, even with a doctors assessment.

Not saying he'll keel over or anything, just agree with Cody here, which is a first for me.

Yeah I am sure Cody knows more than trained health professionals and the commission over watching the competition. Cody knows more about Joe's body than Joe, apparently.

The guy has torn pecs and still wants to fight in the UFC. C'mon dude. Who will feed your family if you get concussed and have CTE?

Yeah I am sure Cody knows more than trained health professionals and the commission over watching the competition. Cody knows more about Joe's body than Joe, apparently.
I don't know exactly what you're arguing against here.

Countless of fighters have fought with undisclosed head trauma and concussions. The athletic commission can only do so much. Joe is a fighter through and through, I'm sure he would fight no matter what. Again, I'm not saying that he necessarily has a concussion, I'm saying that 1) even if he didn't. the head trauma he received he will not recover from in 6 days and 2) if he did, 6 days is a very short time frame to decipher the severity of it. Ask any MD, neurologist or anyone who deals with concussions and they would tell you the same. There's only so much you can do, and a CT scan wont even show anything unless there's internal hemorrhage.

Cody knows, because Cody has been through it. Everyone responds differently to brain trauma and the long term repercussions can be very tricky. The one rule though, is time. The brain needs time to recover.

To reiterate; I don't know if he had a concussion, he took a beating, fighting again in 6 days is not smart. I'd put faith in the medical staff, but there's only so much you can do.

As someone who has been sparring, fighting and training for a long time, received two pretty serious concussions from blows to the head, dealt with post concussive symptom, is a physiotherapist and worked with neurological patients, been to several neurologists for screenings and have an interest in brain trauma I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Cody is full of shit with his explanation to the team, but yeah, Joe Daddy is done. Looking forward to next week.

I'm not too concerned with the timeline...it's a part of the show, but Joe Daddy has zero chance against Hassan. He gets the shot bc he lost a decision?! Seth B or Gordon seem so obvious?! It is bc Joe is the old boy (in terms of TUF/experience)?

Bush!

I don't watch this shit, but could the possible reason of him not wanting Joe Stevenson be his nickname? No Love meets Daddy.

Cody just wants his losers to have another shot after almost getting white washed.
eddie gordon.just go home.
TJ said his piece and dana made the wild card picks, end of story.

If joe had a concussion the doc's would call it, simple.

And his constant going on and on and on about hayder's power, running it up against joe, just not letting it go was a proper shady move imo.

cody is a really great fighter, but i sooooo hope he loses just to learn some humility..

About the Joe Daddy situation.

Concussions are no jokes, the brain needs time to heal. He took a hell of beating, he has incredible heart and chin, but fighting 6 days after that is not good for anyones health. I'd go as far as to say it's irresponsible.

He did look like he was alright, but true symptoms often happen in a few days and he's most like the kind of guy to keep quiet about it.

Coaches have the responsibility to protect fighters from themselves sometimes, no one wants to back down from a fight. Don't know man. Hope he can take Hassan down and not take too much damage, otherwise it doesn't bode well.

Silly post. You don't think the UFC has highly trained medical staff to ascertain whether or not a fighter is healthy enough to fight? The UFC has never had a death for a reason.

Cody has shown himself to be the snake. He was just salty cause the only guy his team managed to beat is now back in the competition haha! How dare he tell a veteran like Joe Daddy "he hits really hard dude...I'm scared for you". Piece of shit!

The thing is the athletic comision forces you to take a break if you are concused since that is a TKO. Joe Daddy took a beating but was not wobbly in the fight so nothing points to him having a concussion.
Ah yes, the naked eye test, best way to assess brain damage, thank you for sharing your insight dr. Norbar. :D

Last edited:
I really don't think he took that much damage. He ate a few shots from a guy who hasn't finished anyone with strikes since 2008, that's about it. People were really hyping up the whole war thing but it looked like a competitive sparring session between grapplers to me.

Cody was right to want one of his fighters back though. Joe is shot and he moved exactly the way I would expect him to, considering how Dillashaw and he talked about his training in the episode beforehand. He's an old, injured veteran who can't handle putting the live rounds in so he just focuses on S&C and his skills have deteriorated because of it. He has no business being in the cage with any younger WWs who are in anything close to their prime. Maybe he figures out a way to get it done against Hayder but I don't see it ending well for him. Dude could get hurt in there and he has no chance at ever going on another UFC run. A few of those other guys might be able to though. Bringing Joe back was just stupid.

I think Cody was more concerned with how hard Hassan hits in general

Would love Joe to get a slick guillotine for old times sake

Back