First Sub Only Tourny (vid)

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
What’s up guys. Did my first sub only tournament nogi expert and blue belt division.
I’ve been doing bjj for about 5 years but a lot of time is split in between striking and mma so I’m not very familiar as I should be with bjj. This is about my 5th bjj tournament.

Round time is only 4 minutes. I got subbed once in no gi but the rest were draws.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve my passing it would be greatly appreciated. I’m in the grey.

This is the match I got subbed with 1 second left. Any tips welcome

Thanks for watching

Some general things you could do to improve your passing:

The advantage of standing passing is the mobility and speed which allows you to quickly change sides and angles in order to make the bottom player work and force a mistake. When you were standing up you mainly approached your opponent straight forward and did not show him different angles to deal with.

I also felt like you were not able to get close enough to him while standing up. You can either use leg drags to throw him to one side while you get closer to him or you can try to use your front leg more aggressively to really keep your shin connected to his thigh in order to force the knee slide or leg weave position.

You came close passing low and with pressure several times but at some points you gave your opponent too much time and space to get his frames and recompose guard. Focus on keeping your hips lower and move as soon as you have your grips in place.

The one time you got passed his guard in the first video I think that you tried to get to the upper body control too quickly. You could have tried staying low on his hips in order to prevent him from turning to his side. Once he was on his side you maybe could have saved the position by going for the topspin or stepping over his head to attack his arm.

In general I think your base and balance looked good on top but in order to pass and submit in a submission only scenario I think you need to be a little more aggressive and risk a bit more.

Some general things you could do to improve your passing:

The advantage of standing passing is the mobility and speed which allows you to quickly change sides and angles in order to make the bottom player work and force a mistake. When you were standing up you mainly approached your opponent straight forward and did not show him different angles to deal with.

I also felt like you were not able to get close enough to him while standing up. You can either use leg drags to throw him to one side while you get closer to him or you can try to use your front leg more aggressively to really keep your shin connected to his thigh in order to force the knee slide or leg weave position.

You came close passing low and with pressure several times but at some points you gave your opponent too much time and space to get his frames and recompose guard. Focus on keeping your hips lower and move as soon as you have your grips in place.

The one time you got passed his guard in the first video I think that you tried to get to the upper body control too quickly. You could have tried staying low on his hips in order to prevent him from turning to his side. Once he was on his side you maybe could have saved the position by going for the topspin or stepping over his head to attack his arm.

In general I think your base and balance looked good on top but in order to pass and submit in a submission only scenario I think you need to be a little more aggressive and risk a bit more.
Thanks. I think I was worried way too much about control and really didn’t risk much to pass the guard. I also feel like I just didn’t move fast enough side to side in order to pass.

My coach said I just need to commit to my techniques

If you want to win at submission only, you must use the shortest pathways to submissions.

Generally this means, attacking leg entanglements, attacking guillotine chokes, and attacking ezekiel chokes, with honorable mention to attacking the back.

Most forms of passing really are an only tangentially useful skill in sub only, where if most relevant would be in situations like combination sub/pass positions (like front headlocks and double wrist locks), or in rescuing yourself from poor leg entanglement position (like berimbolo-counter rolling back takes off slx or saddle, or crab ride back takes off double outside ashi), or in escaping submissions (like triangle chokes or armbars).

Training time and recovery are limited resources; one must think hard about whether a particular wrinkle is really adding value, and not taking away from essentials that are truly vital to the competition; sub defense and 2 or 3 A-game sub attacks. (There is no shortage of highly talented grapplers, with years of experience, getting heel hooked within minutes in sub only comps).

When approaching a buttflopping opponent in sit-up guard posture, particularly wrt an opponent looking to use leg entanglements, the first option of course is to be even better at leg entanglements than he is.

If your tastes happen to lie more in asymmetry, then, the next primary method of attack is head chanceries. If sat up/hunched, you go to the cow catcher/arm weave, and if he lets you roll him back, you go to the ezekiel.

In any case, one must have a specialized A game with a golden hammer to get stoppages against top competition, but each also of the matters mentioned heretofore are valuable to be at least proficient in as well. Since you also fight mma, head chancery attacks will likely have greater overlap with your expected use-cases.

Para exemple:

Regarding your first match, attacking closed guard is an underserved and valuable strategy in sub only as pinning your opponent in closed denies him access to your legs. In both matches in fact it would've been a low risk strategy simply by going to the ezekiel until it sinks. If for whatever reason you simply must pass (such as escaping the rubber guard), the tozi pass is a preferable option here, as it again maintains the pin.

The guy with the best ezekiels in the game in my opinion is Braulio Estima, so if you happen to have a subscription to estima in action you're in luck (he has good details on tozi passing as well [though he calls it the 'sao paulo stack']).

Excepting that this the closest video i've found so far that resembles to the way he does it (the main difference is that he lifts the head with the head wrapping arm, pushing their neck into your hand, rather than just pushing your hand into their neck alone, which lets you put more weight and torque into it).

Besides the regular no arm attack there are in fact several variations of chokes you can use to attack the guard (or mount); for instance 'arm in ezekiels' (or 'front nelsons' if you will) are also an option for greater control.

(bonus vid just because)

In your second match, your opponent used collar ties often, which gives the opportunity for slide-bys to merkel/seat belt. When you have the underhook you should drive in at a more oblique critical angle, looking to throw him by, making it harder for him to pull you over with the donkey kick. When you were in over/under and he lateral dropped you, you should step to the other side (your overhook side) to hit the knee tap or metzger/ko soto gaki.

The instinct to pull away from the guillotine in guard basically helps him finish it easier. You want to go into him and post on your head, which takes away a lot of his torque, allowing you to survive in the position. See for example Woodley's unsuccessful choke attempt on Thompson. Next, you want to swim your hand over his head while twisting the hips in, transitioning into the tozi break.

As always make sure your balance, posture, and pressure, is on point so he doesn't sweep you over and pin you with a mounted guillotine, which is basically game over and always the ultimate goal when you yourself are attacking with front headlocks.

Last edited:
If you want to win at submission only, you must use the shortest pathways to submissions.

Generally this means, attacking leg entanglements, attacking guillotine chokes, and attacking ezekiel chokes, with honorable mention to attacking the back.

Most forms of passing really are an only tangentially useful skill in sub only, where if most relevant would be in situations like combination sub/pass positions (like front headlocks and double wrist locks), or in rescuing yourself from poor leg entanglement position (like berimbolo-counter rolling back takes off slx or saddle, or crab ride back takes off double outside ashi), or in escaping submissions (like triangle chokes or armbars).

Training time and recovery are limited resources; one must think hard about whether a particular wrinkle is really adding value, and not taking away from essentials that are truly vital to the competition; sub defense and 2 or 3 A-game sub attacks. (There is no shortage of highly talented grapplers, with years of experience, getting heel hooked within minutes in sub only comps).

When approaching a buttflopping opponent in sit-up guard posture, particularly wrt an opponent looking to use leg entanglements, the first option of course is to be even better at leg entanglements than he is.

If your tastes happen to lie more in asymmetry, then, the next primary method of attack is head chanceries. If sat up/hunched, you go to the cow catcher/arm weave, and if he lets you roll him back, you go to the ezekiel.

In any case, one must have a specialized A game with a golden hammer to get stoppages against top competition, but each also of the matters mentioned heretofore are valuable to be at least proficient in as well. Since you also fight mma, head chancery attacks will likely have greater overlap with your expected use-cases.

Para exemple:

Regarding your first match, attacking closed guard is an underserved and valuable strategy in sub only as pinning your opponent in closed denies him access to your legs. In both matches in fact it would've been a low risk strategy simply by going to the ezekiel until it sinks. If for whatever reason you simply must pass (such as escaping the rubber guard), the tozi pass is a preferable option here, as it again maintains the pin.

The guy with the best ezekiels in the game in my opinion is Braulio Estima, so if you happen to have a subscription to estima in action you're in luck (he has good details on tozi passing as well [though he calls it the 'sao paulo stack']).

Excepting that this the closest video i've found so far that resembles to the way he does it (the main difference is that he lifts the head with the head wrapping arm, pushing their neck into your hand, rather than just pushing your hand into their neck alone, which lets you put more weight and torque into it).

Besides the regular no arm attack there are in fact several variations of chokes you can use to attack the guard (or mount); for instance 'arm in ezekiels' (or 'front nelsons' if you will) are also an option for greater control.

(bonus vid just because)

In your second match, your opponent used collar ties often, which gives the opportunity for slide-bys to merkel/seat belt. When you have the underhook you should drive in at a more oblique critical angle, looking to throw him by, making it harder for him to pull you over with the donkey kick. When you were in over/under and he lateral dropped you, you should step to the other side (your overhook side) to hit the knee tap or metzger/ko soto gaki.

The instinct to pull away from the guillotine in guard basically helps him finish it easier. You want to go into him and post on your head, which takes away a lot of his torque, allowing you to survive in the position. See for example Woodley's unsuccessful choke attempt on Thompson. Next, you want to swim your hand over his head while twisting the hips in, transitioning into the tozi break.

As always make sure your balance, posture, and pressure, is on point so he doesn't sweep you over and pin you with a mounted guillotine, which is basically game over and always the ultimate goal when you yourself are attacking with front headlocks.

Thank you for the breakdown on sub only strategies and the simple mistakes i made in guard passing, sub hunting, and even the extra analysis on mistakes on the feet.

I didn’t watch any of the videos yet except the guillotine escape but I have one more question.

I understand what you mean about when he was did the lateral drop I should move towards my underhook side and possible kneetap or switch my hips to an underhook throw. But what is a slide-by to merklel-seat belt. I was running into him with the double unders which made that overhook throw really easy for him to hit on me. If you could explain what you mean that would be great because I couldn’t find it in the Maia thread you linked

Last edited:
Thank you for the breakdown on sub only strategies and the simple mistakes i made in guard passing, sub hunting, and even the extra analysis on mistakes on the feet.

I didn’t watch any of the videos yet except the guillotine escape but I have one more question.

I understand what you mean about when he was did the lateral drop I should move towards my underhook side and possible kneetap or switch my hips to an underhook throw. But what is a slide-by to merklel-seat belt. I was running into him with the double unders which made that overhook throw really easy for him to hit on me. If you could explain what you mean that would be great because I couldn’t find it in the Maia thread you linked

Sure; for the merkle bjj scout made a good video on the subject.

For the slide by, there are basically three kinds of standing go-behinds (four if you count the arm-drag) that all share the same substantial essence/kuzushi, the difference being what formal grips/tie-ups you start with.

The shuck or throw-by comes from, basically, clubbing the arm underneath and, apropos, throwing them by as you go behind, often from already having an underhook. The duck under comes from, apropos, ducking under and pulling them over past you as you go behind, often from an elbow tie. And the slide-by comes from arcing your arm over their arm gripping their tricep inside, and apropos, pulling them across you as you slide-by going behind, often from mirrored collar-ties.

With regards to the over under situation here are a few examples of what i was talking about.

If you mean the link didn't take you to the post i can quote it directly here too.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Last edited:
@biscuitsbrah awesome videos. Congrats on putting yourself out there and thanks for showing us you're a real person.

In the second video when you get thrown after getting your underhooks, I think you needed to step your foot up between his legs to prevent him from being able to turn.

It was dope that you pushed the action and shot from neutral.

@biscuitsbrah awesome videos. Congrats on putting yourself out there and thanks for showing us you're a real person.

In the second video when you get thrown after getting your underhooks, I think you needed to step your foot up between his legs to prevent him from being able to turn.

It was dope that you pushed the action and shot from neutral.
Hey thanks summerstriker. Im glad you noticed I was trying to force the action. I had a feeling he wasnt going to shoot and we probably wouldnt have done any ground work

Back