First Round North South Choke by Michel Prazeres

I do think getting the pressure right on the N/S choke is a bit more difficult than on most chokes. However as someone mentioned if you are heavy/strong you can always just escalate the pressure on chokes
stop blood
stop air
crank neck / crush face

and get the tap somehow or other and again usually having a good weight advantage I can usually finish it if I am reasonably near correct form.

However if it's not happening you can often bait a d'arce, guy has an arm in or you let him get one in then take a little step to the side and you are waiting for him as he comes up to his side. Got to be quick though. Even if you can tell you are not going to finish the choke you can make someone very uncomfortable and they will be eager to come up to their side to get away from the crush/smother.
Yeah the brabo and the north south choke fit well together. Biggest mistake I see with that is when the turn in happens people get over eager and since the choking arm is deep with the north south choke they keep it too deep on the brabo choke and don't get their choking wrist at the proper depth. That and staying north south instead of getting the proper angle. But it's an awesome transition.

Yeah the brabo and the north south choke fit well together. Biggest mistake I see with that is when the turn in happens people get over eager and since the choking arm is deep with the north south choke they keep it too deep on the brabo choke and don't get their choking wrist at the proper depth. That and staying north south instead of getting the proper angle. But it's an awesome transition.

It's one I'll be playing with because I'm starting to work on the N/S with an arm in, but not an arm triangle. Much like the guillotine I imagine the finish will be a little harder arm in but the position should be more controlled and easier to set up. And if you can get good neck exposure it should still work fine, the choke is about positioning more than squeezing strength.

Its one of my main attacks, but there's is this guy who I can't for the love of god get it on him... He's the type of dude who doesn't tap to arm in chokes, to do it, you need to do it perfectly, weird. Anyways, for me, the choke is criminally underrated, specially in this whole new sub only movement where guys just give up sidecontrol, 3/4 ns seems to be the best way to control someone, and the choke is always there...

It's one I'll be playing with because I'm starting to work on the N/S with an arm in, but not an arm triangle. Much like the guillotine I imagine the finish will be a little harder arm in but the position should be more controlled and easier to set up. And if you can get good neck exposure it should still work fine, the choke is about positioning more than squeezing strength.
The arm in ns choke is great. I don't think you'll find the choke much harder. If you can get a one arm ns choke down on a relaxed opponent then the arm-in finish is very similar.

The arm in ns choke is great. I don't think you'll find the choke much harder. If you can get a one arm ns choke down on a relaxed opponent then the arm-in finish is very similar.

Its harder to get it, because the guy defending could be using his trapping arm to stop you going lower... but like most chokes, no arm in are more efficient, this doesnt mean arm in wont work though.

I can make the choke work with just 1 hand on everyone while drilling, the problem in live training is that you dont have much control on your opponent, so if he kind of knows what hes doing, hell find a little space to breath/not go out whatever... I normally set up the choke and try to position my body with just one hand, but when its time to squeeze I try to clasp my hands, normally looking for a no arm in choke...

Its harder to get it, because the guy defending could be using his trapping arm to stop you going lower... but like most chokes, no arm in are more efficient, this doesnt mean arm in wont work though.

We're both talking about the arm-in that Marcelo does right? Not the arm triangle style? If so then that's a good point.

As for the rest we both we could probably spend a long time having a friendly arguing on that. I don't think it's a given at all that arm-out chokes are more efficient.

I think the rear naked choke is probably the most efficient choke there is but besides that I think there are definitely good debates to be had.

I can make the choke work with just 1 hand on everyone while drilling, the problem in live training is that you dont have much control on your opponent, so if he kind of knows what hes doing, hell find a little space to breath/not go out whatever... I normally set up the choke and try to position my body with just one hand, but when its time to squeeze I try to clasp my hands, normally looking for a no arm in choke...

I usually do the same thing. When I teach the choke though I do try to get people able to finish with one arm on a relaxed training partner. I think it helps them get the shoulder pressure down and gives some confidence. Then when the hands connect it's even more powerful.

Back