First interstellar object (from outside the solar system) spotted with telescope

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On October 19, the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawaii spotted something strange zooming through our solar system. It turned out to be a visitor from beyond our solar system, and it's unlike anything astronomers have seen before.

It is the first observed object from outside our solar system, according to a study published Monday in the journal Nature -- and, as the researchers call it, an "oddball."
It is 124 million miles from Earth -- the distance between Mars and Jupiter -- but its trajectory has taken the object past Mars' orbit, and it will pass Jupiter in May, go beyond Saturn's orbit in January 2019 and then leave our solar system, bound for the Pegasus constellation.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/world/first-interstellar-object-solar-system/index.html

It's a long cylinder/ cigar shaped object made primarily of metal. It's the size of 2 football fields and rotates every 7 hours.

my bad, just hope i dont get in trouble for indecent exposure

Think I saw that in my toilet this morning.
171120150930-interstellar-asteroid-photo-illustration-large-169.jpg

It's the world's largest vape

maxresdefault.jpg

On October 19, the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawaii spotted something strange zooming through our solar system. It turned out to be a visitor from beyond our solar system, and it's unlike anything astronomers have seen before.

It is the first observed object from outside our solar system, according to a study published Monday in the journal Nature -- and, as the researchers call it, an "oddball."
It is 124 million miles from Earth -- the distance between Mars and Jupiter -- but its trajectory has taken the object past Mars' orbit, and it will pass Jupiter in May, go beyond Saturn's orbit in January 2019 and then leave our solar system, bound for the Pegasus constellation.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/world/first-interstellar-object-solar-system/index.html

It's a long cylinder/ cigar shaped object made primarily of metal. It's the size of 2 football fields and rotates every 7 hours.

I smell bullshit.

eddie-bravo.jpg

What a poorly written article. It's the first object we've spotted in our solar system that didn't originate in our solar system. We've seen millions of objects outside our solar system.

What a poorly written article. It's the first object we've spotted in our solar system that didn't originate in our solar system. We've seen millions of objects outside our solar system.

How did that even get past fact checking? There's literally thousands of stars that we are able to see via the naked eye.

Not to mention the magnitude of celestial objects we've classified beyond our solar system -- or even galaxy

This is on Ancient Aliens. Is it rare to have a cigar shaped object flying around and into our solar system? I would have guessed most objects would be round.

First interstellar object (from outside the solar system) spotted with telescope.
Ah, this meteorite, NWA 7325, predates our Sun. Found in Northwest Africa in 2012. Roughly 4.75 billion years old.
25221915368_420d92f7e5_b.jpg

This is on Ancient Aliens. Is it rare to have a cigar shaped object flying around and into our solar system? I would have guessed most objects would be round.

Neil Degrasse Tyson once explained this in regards to the other one that people made a big deal about. Apparently when an object isn't large enough for gravity to push it into a sphere, it will drag like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back