First fight nerves

Mani

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Got my first ever Muay Thai fight this Sunday. I've been pretty relaxed so far and excited but the excitement is slowly creeping into nervousness.

I know it's a bit of a noob question but what can I do to ease back on the nerves a bit?

Thanks.

Keep telling yourself its excitment. Nervousness and excitment are super similar its essentially the same feeling just depends on your feeling of the situation. You're probably just getting excited and need to calm down. Try breathing work or meditating IMHO

A couple shots will take the edge off, also I find it allows you to naturally put more into your shots. You hit harder as some inhibitions of hurting your opponent goes away.

Got my first ever Muay Thai fight this Sunday. I've been pretty relaxed so far and excited but the excitement is slowly creeping into nervousness.

I know it's a bit of a noob question but what can I do to ease back on the nerves a bit?

Thanks.
embrace the rush. it's why we fight. when it comes to fight night try not to start jumping around or warming up too much early on, you will just wear yourself out. just chill as long as possible and when the nerves get too much do a bit of shadowboxing until you start feeling a bit more relaxed. then you can chill until it's time to warm up before your fight.

Everyone gets nervous even the people who love to fight

Difference is some fight with that type of a mindset more a thinking fighter while others go into a zone and more or less dont think at all and let it flow. Awesome reupload of a Mindsmash video

You're not normal if you don't feel nerves. It's not just the first time either. Work on containment and channeling it into something positive.

I used to spent the last 30-60 mins a day (throughout the day) 10 days before thinking. It's not meditation as such (don't know how to do that). But run through the scenarios and learn to accept the outcomes.

Good skill on the day

embrace the rush. it's why we fight. when it comes to fight night try not to start jumping around or warming up too much early on, you will just wear yourself out. just chill as long as possible and when the nerves get too much do a bit of shadowboxing until you start feeling a bit more relaxed. then you can chill until it's time to warm up before your fight.

This is very correct. I do not wind my fighters up or even warm them up before competitions anymore. They either shadowbox, or skip rope. I keep them calm, stay calm myself, make them laugh.

Performance went up.

I used to spent the last 30-60 mins a day (throughout the day) 10 days before thinking. It's not meditation as such (don't know how to do that). But run through the scenarios and learn to accept the outcomes.

Good skill on the day
Visualisation i think is what you're talking about. very positive tool to learn a lot of pros use it

This is very correct. I do not wind my fighters up or even warm them up before competitions anymore. They either shadowbox, or skip rope. I keep them calm, stay calm myself, make them laugh.

Performance went up.
tension is the enemy of performance. i learn this from race horses. a lot of race horses blown out before they even run their races from hypertension. this is a factor in a horses ability to travel and perform away from home. i have seen the same thing happen with fighters. that is one of the advantages of fighting out of somewhere like vegas. it makes it easier for the fighters to get used to the bright lights and pressure earlier in their careers.

I need to go to my next fight either drunk or baked. I perform better actually.

And there's no USADA on the ammy scene

Iv heard the new levels make it pretty lax on THC and CBD isnt even banned anymore. Id say baked unless you wanna be puking everywhere but then again its Diaz vs Abbott if ya know what i mean

Iv heard the new levels make it pretty lax on THC and CBD isnt even banned anymore. Id say baked unless you wanna be puking everywhere but then again its Diaz vs Abbott if ya know what i mean
I haven't showed up to training baked, but I have showed up drunk. While drunk my body kicks are vicious, I can get full torque on the swing and even if I get hit with bombs I don't feel it. I think I might do it at my next fight.

I actually do drink on cut week. Whisky and Vodka has no sodium and barely any carbs, so I use it as empty calories to help with the cut. Not to mention being dehydrated is part of the procedure so its great. Day 1+2 out of the fight, I chug down 12-16oz as part of the meal.

Thanks.
Shit, I've been boxing and wrestling since I was a kid, do grappling tournaments to keep my grappling on another level, and I still get those "pre fight jitters"

It's normal to have them. just don't let it overtake your mind. every time before I have grappling tournaments or something, I'll always have my beats on jamming to some music, always takes my mind off of everything. then when I get out there on the mat, my mind is totally cleared and I'm ready to go to work. also, meditating and clearing your mind in deep thought before the fight helps too.

Read a book the night before and finished it the day of before leaving for the fight. That's what I did and my coach said I was the most relaxed fighter he's ever seen.

Back