First competition experience.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by BelugaPower06, May 15, 2017.

1. BelugaPower06 White Belt

BelugaPower06
    I've been training jiu-jitsu twice a week for about 6 months or so now. I really enjoy it (most days). I didn't start training with the idea of competing but after a while I thought it'd be nice to kind of "test" myself through competition. This past Saturday I competed in the NAGA Dallas event.

Leading up to the event I was going back and forth trying to figure out which weight class I would be competing in. I weighed in at 176 lbs two days before the event and decided I would try to "cut" the weight and compete at welterweight. Bad idea. I didn't eat and just sipped water all day Friday. Couldn't sleep the night before due to nerves I think. Got up at 5 a.m. on Saturday, drove two hours to the venue, weighed in, and began to finally eat and drink some shit. Made weight by the way. Afterwards I sat around and watched my 10 year old son compete. Throughout the day I never felt "right", I think it was a combination of things.

Finally around 5 p.m. my division was called to compete. First match was no-gi. My opponent and myself were both very tense, spent the first half of the match pushing and pulling on each other. He eventually shot for the take down, I grabbed a guillotine and pulled guard. He was able to pop his head out but I quickly lock up an arm lock but wasn't able to finish it for some reason. I decided to create space and try to stand but he grabbed me leg and fell back into a straight ankle lock. I defended it, sat up and was able to establish top control and then mount, from mount I locked up an arm triangle and got the finish. After the match I was EXHAUSTED, even had a tough time standing on the podium, lol. I think some of this was due to adrenaline or something.

My second match was in the gi. I was much more relaxed this time around. My opponent was very aggressive, shooting for the take down rather quickly. I defended the take down, lock up the guillotine and pulled guard again. This time around my opponent wasn't getting out and after some minor adjustments I was able to coax the tap, about 30-45 seconds into the match.

In training I am usually the aggressor, I go for takedowns, I end up on top. I hate playing guard, don't know why but I do. Going into the competition my only fears would be that I shoot and get guillotined or that some is much quicker than myself would take my back and choke me, lol. I never thought things would play out like they did. Regardless, I won both matches and got me a couple of shiny gold metals.

I know, long read. Just thought I'd share.

2. Minnja Touch-Butt white belt

Minnja
    Cool. I have trouble sleeping the night before too. I think most people get exhausted during/after the match and I think a major reason is because you don't get to warm up so you go from 0 to 100.

The good thing is that now you know that feeing so when it happens again you won't freak out.

Congrats on the wins and putting yourself out there

BelugaPower06 likes this.
  3. Gandhi Birdie num nums

Gandhi
    Well done

4. ultimateriley-o Lego Maniac

ultimateriley-o
    guillotine supremacy

5. jcandoitbig Green Belt

jcandoitbig
    i gassed super hard and don't remember much, but I did hit a sweet throw...

6. JagRoss Yellow Belt

JagRoss
    I gassed at my first tournament as well.

I remember my matches pretty well - I didn't tunnel vision or anything.
    Felt quite aware of my coaches/points/etc.

Won my first two matches by triangle - and got robbed (imo) in my last match.

7. liuk3 Orange Belt

liuk3
    Congratulations!

8. BelugaPower06 White Belt

BelugaPower06
    I was very aware of my coaches, I could hear their instruction pretty clearly. I would have liked to have pulled the trigger on the take downs myself but just couldn't do it. I'll be working on that aspect more on the future. Also I plan to work more sweeps from guard, my go to move is to create space and stand up to get back to the wrestling. I rarely attack from guard.

9. kjg1672 Purple Belt

kjg1672
    It took me about 5 or 6 tournaments until I was able to calm down and relax a little. Congrats on the wins. Your debut was much better than mine.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  10. closequarters Green Belt

closequarters
    Two very nice submissions for your first tournament. Congrats.

For me, arm triangles took a long time to find that sweet spot. For months I felt like I was in perfect position woth a great squeez but couldn't get the tap.

Also making an opponent pay for shooting by subbing him is an awesome instinct / weapon to have in the tool box. I tend to try and escape or reverse.

11. BelugaPower06 White Belt

BelugaPower06
    Thanks. The arm triangle and pillow choke are my go to chokes in no gi. I'm a relatively strong dude so that helps. I usually look for the guillotine when someone shoots, if it's there I take it, if not then I don't try to force it.

12. closequarters Green Belt

closequarters
    Just saw this a minute ago on IG. Speaking of countering a shot and transitioning to a submission:

13. Marginal Judo White Belt

Marginal Judo
    Nerves are normal; keeps you sharp. Well done!

14. Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

Thrawn33
    Congrats.

Nerves will pass with more competition.

I always said my early tournament success in Judo was because of the 5+ years of wrestling prior, and not for the techniques (well sure a little, but I've never successfully hit a leg shot in Judo when they were still legal), but for the competition mindset and ability to deal with that stress.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  15. loyalyolayal Gold Belt

loyalyolayal
    This. I went full retard on my 1st comp. Double leg within the 1st 5 seconds, thank god I got it. Now it would take a ref's warning before I initiate especially against a cautious, play safe opponent.

16. Gandhi Birdie num nums

Gandhi
    Just did my first as well. I thought of your post.

Just two matches for two wins/golds in a small tourney.

Like you I was nervous for the first one (I could feel the coffee rumbling in my stomach yuck) and less but still a bit nervous for the second. It was amazing how I was rushing moves and fucking them up (like starting the gringo grip with the wrong hand lol).

Won 10-0 for the ibjjf match and won with 2 subs round 1 for the submission only match.

Great experience.