First boxing lesson on Thursday. What to expect?

Practical Goat

Knowledge Seeker
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just booked in with a 1 2 1 at my local boxing gym. Been told 1 2 1 is the way to go for the first few months until I get my feet.

What sort of things should I be expecting to do on the first day?

Very rudimentary stance stuff and throwing a 1-2 probably.

Boxing is one of those things where you won't really do anything properly for a long time in training, and everything you do can always be improved upon, and you work to get the basic tools and then more developed tools and you continue to just work on everything you've got as you go. So you will continue to suck after your lesson but you won't suck quite as bad. It's just a perpetual journey of sucking less and less and needing to practice all the basics over and over until the more complicated stuff adds onto it and becomes basic too.

Last edited:
Work hard and have fun. It can take a long time to get certain movements and forms down properly, and there's always more to learn and improve upon--but that's why it's so much fun: it never gets boring. Be patient with your fundamentals and it will pay off in the long run.

First time I did a session I made the mistake of having dinner before it. After two rounds of Pads I had to tell the trainer I needed a minute and ran out to throw up lmao

Look forward to not being able to put on your shirt because your arms are sore.

Hi guys,

Just booked in with a 1 2 1 at my local boxing gym. Been told 1 2 1 is the way to go for the first few months until I get my feet.

What sort of things should I be expecting to do on the first day?

Have fun, and welcome to the sweet science TS!

Yeah first lesson is almost always about becoming familiar with the movement of the jab - right cross (or maybe left cross if ur southpaw)

Realizing that punching is not only arms, but practically the feet / hips / core / shoulders / arms. So practically the whole body :)

Good luck. U ever did another combat sport before?

Realizing that punching is not only arms, but practically the feet / hips / core / shoulders / arms. So practically the whole body :)
I remember my first ever boxing lesson and how surprised I was that my legs get so pumped up. Didn't expect that.

Don't worry about looking good, use the techniques they show you, no matter how awkward they feel at first. And they will feel awkward. You'll only ever truly learn why things make sense once you start sparring, so be patient, pay attention, and trust exactly what the instructors and telling you. I guarantee its less painful that eating a straight right to the face.

Good luck dude and stick with it. It takes a while to feel comfortable and master the basics but it's a great sport to compete in. Even if you just train and spar, you'll learn something potentially very useful. Boxing is the only sport i can do at the moment due to a hip injury (and some long standing back injuries), I would be lost without it

pretty cool that it's a 1-2-1 not just a 1-2. mistake that many make is after throwing a 2, not remembering to return your hips and shoulders back to your stance, with your jab hand up front.

I always tried to get kids to end the combination with a jab or lead hook as it returns you back to your stance. Boxing is like writing - learn the rules first, master them, then you can break them.

Getting fucked in the ass by the trainer is a normal ritual in boxing for first timers. Enjoy

unfortunately, that seems to be the case for many. I'm fortunate as to not to have been subjected to as a.f.-ing the first couple of times.

I think maybe that mentality might have worked in thinning the herd when boxing was really popular and kids were signing up in droves, but nowadays... there's not as much interest, and goddammit the kids these days sure are sensitive.

If you never jumped rope, which is an essential part of warmup in every boxing gym, you will feel like an idiot trying it the first times. But one of the most important things imo is to not care about how you look and leave your ego at the entrance. Just focus on yourself and learning and dont try to show off. People will give you respect for sticking to the training and trying even if you look like shit. At least if your gym isnt filled with douchebags.

Hahaha,
Have fun, and welcome to the sweet science TS!

Yeah first lesson is almost always about becoming familiar with the movement of the jab - right cross (or maybe left cross if ur southpaw)

Good luck. U ever did another combat sport before?

I do jiu jitsu as well but the only time I've ever thrown a punch is at my fridge door when I lose on fifa.

Getting fucked in the ass by the trainer is a normal ritual in boxing for first timers. Enjoy

I'll try anything twice.

Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciated as always.

pay as much or more attention to your footwork as you do to your hands
good luck

Start off your session by yelling, 'McGregor is the best boxer ever'.

Expect to make many friends off that single comment.

Back