First BJJ tournament

NativeAmericana

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have my first BJJ tournament coming up next weekend. I've only trained about a month now, but I wrestled a bit in high school. That was a few years ago but it still helps me out.
Do you guys have any pointers for this week leading up to the tournament? I'm pretty much already on weight, I'm only one pound over the limit right now. I'm not planning on training hard this week but I'm still going to class every day but the day before.

Any pointers or constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

Spazz out > burn all your energy in the first minute with a sloppy takedown > lay n pray whilst ignoring your coach's instruction > get caught in a sub in the last 20 seconds.

Seriously though, try to stay calm and relaxed, eat a snack after weigh ins, get some advice from your coach or an experienced teammate. Stay hydrated but most importantly have fun.

Your bit of wrestling comp experience is huge in the novice divisions.

Own that: you've competed before, you know how winning and losing feel, some of these other guys are terrified of competing...

Pick the right training partners - make sure you end up training with guys that won't injure you!
Listen to your body - only you know what intensity your body can handle. Some like to train hard until a couple of days out, others take the week easy. I like to roll as much as I can, but keeping it relatively light.
Make sure you eat properly (weight allowing) - need to energy to make it happen.
Have a game plan - go in there knowing where you want to work and forcing your opponent to play your game.
Have a good warm up - its easy to get distracted by whats happening in the comp and not get warmed up properly.
Enjoy the comp.

The worst case scenario: you lose a grappling match or two. Don’t forget to breath. I like pulling in huge slow deep breaths as I step on the mat. All thoughts are erased. Just feel the energy flow through your body.

Pick the right training partners - make sure you end up training with guys that won't injure you!
Listen to your body - only you know what intensity your body can handle. Some like to train hard until a couple of days out, others take the week easy. I like to roll as much as I can, but keeping it relatively light.
Make sure you eat properly (weight allowing) - need to energy to make it happen.
Have a game plan - go in there knowing where you want to work and forcing your opponent to play your game.
Have a good warm up - its easy to get distracted by whats happening in the comp and not get warmed up properly.
Enjoy the comp.
Thanks man, I'm excited. That's good advice, I will definitely think of this all week and come up with a game plan.

The worst case scenario: you lose a grappling match or two. Don’t forget to breath. I like pulling in huge slow deep breaths as I step on the mat. All thoughts are erased. Just feel the energy flow through your body.
Breathing is important, I'll try and focus on controlling my breathing more this week. Thanks man

Your bit of wrestling comp experience is huge in the novice divisions.

Own that: you've competed before, you know how winning and losing feel, some of these other guys are terrified of competing...
I have good TDs, and a good base. I'm also a decent scrambler, I've competed quite a bit as wrestler in school but never won first in a tournament. I know that losing sucks but it happens. I'll be okay in that regard. I know it's just me and opponent and nothing else will really get through. But that also makes me not so great at listening to my coach. It's hard to be locked in but still be able to listen to instructions from a cupped hand. Thanks Bro Montana

I have good TDs, and a good base. I'm also a decent scrambler, I've competed quite a bit as wrestler in school but never won first in a tournament. I know that losing sucks but it happens. I'll be okay in that regard. I know it's just me and opponent and nothing else will really get through. But that also makes me not so great at listening to my coach. It's hard to be locked in but still be able to listen to instructions from a cupped hand. Thanks Bro Montana

You're over thinking things.

Just go out there, you should have instincts most other noobs don't.

It's useful to have your coach or a teammate around when your matches start. Not just for the encouragement but also to tell you the score and the time left (you might be in a position where you can't see).

Give your phone to someone to record your fights. You can watch them later to learn from the mistakes.

Tap early if you get caught.

Good luck!

It's been stated already but get someone to coach you through it, it will make a huge difference. I had my first one last month and I'll say this; you can go in there with a gameplan and what not but a lot of those thoughts and strategies will go out the window once that match starts. Adrenaline kicks in a bit but you should be familiar with this kind of thing since you wrestled. DON'T BE AFRAID OF LOSING. I learned more about my game in my losses than my wins. Have fun out there!

Last edited:
Make sure you tap if something is locked in. Nobody remembers the person that taps. Nobody forgets the guy that passes out and starts shaking, or has a limb snap. Also, it isn't worth injuring yourself and missing training time.

If there are free t-shirts at the competition make sure you get your free t-shirt. This is the most important thing.

Try to have some fun and see it as a learning experience.

Try not to let them pull guard. If they pull guard and you are stuck in their guard for the whole 5 minutes, they will likely get the decision if there is no points scored and if they are attacking for submissions.

Try to take them down before they pull guard.

Whether you take them down or they pull guard, if you end up inside their guard, make sure you posture up. Don't lean forward and into them too much or else you might be giving them something. I have been submitted from leaning forward when I should have postured up.

Especially if you get the 2 points off the takedown they are now playing from behind. Be patient and wait for your opportunity to open their guard and pass.

Now if they pull guard then that basically means you are playing from behind. At that point you have to try to pass their guard. I have won a match while being stuck in someone's guard the whole time because i was constantly trying to pass, and i wasn't allowing the guy on bottom time to do anything, but i have also lost a few from being stuck in a good guard player's guard. Work on your guard breaks and passes this week. Work on getting that first takedown and then posturing up and being patient from there.

Hopefully your wrestling will help you take everyone down. If you do come across someone you cannot take down, well, it might be your day to pull guard and work your sweeps and subs from there. Just don't let them pass. I was a wrestler and I was usually able to take everyone down in BJJ tournaments. My last tournament i finally faced a better wrestler. After he sprawled on me twice, I pulled guard, swept him and won the match on points. It was scary at first but I was happy i grew as a grappler that day and proved to myself I could still win from the bottom.

Eat clean all week. Get a good night of sleep and stretch good every day. Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Is it GI? If so make sure you don't have to weigh-in with the GI on.....
You wrestled before so the competition/Tourny you should be use to

Ankle picks.. work for your favorite half guard pass/move to mount if you're already in side control.

Shoot the double, get side control, crossafce from hell. take the arm he frame with and bitch lock his punk ass. Stand up and wipe abs like ravisihing rick rude. Repeat as needed.

Get the Take down. Get on top. Stay on top. Rinse and repeat.

Hey guys thanks for all the tips and tricks. I finished 3rd. I wasn't disappointed because I've been only been training and going to class for about a month. But I hate losing, I did get a medal though. It was fun, and a great experience. I won't be competing for a while I have so much to learn and I want to train for a long time before I compete again.

Nice work! How did your wins/losses go down? No need to put off competing just because you “have so much to learn.” I know it’s a cliche, but the more I learn, the more I realize what I lack!

Back