Fireman Fitness | Page 2

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by BigJohn1795, May 20, 2017.

1. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795
  2. JosephDredd Silver Belt

JosephDredd
    If I were you, I'd get my hands on Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple & Sinister (and get the kettlebell, but get the book first because it'll tell you what weight kettlebell to get) or Ross Enamait's Never Gymless (no equipment required, just work your ass off). Simple & Sinister is a great instruction tool for working with kettlebells.

At this point I think you need a more general strength and conditioning program and these two are two of the best.

3. corpse Yellow Belt

corpse
    i wouldn't overcomplicate this. you are a beginner so do beginner things. join a gym and do starting strength, stronglifts or another basic barbell strength routine for beginners. i would just recommend you to do some specific gpp via loaded carries with plates or a sandbag. the most important thing for you would to ask your experienced colleagues how to become fit for the job. after all the good posts in this thread, this is a martial arts forum, dude.

BigJohn1795 likes this.
  4. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
  5. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795
    I'm definitely not gonna try and over complicate this with a lot of fancy programs. I'm supposed to go by one of the stations later this week and talk to some of the current members and job duties and ask other questions. I don't figure it'll be hell on earth to do it but I also know it won't be easy.

corpse likes this.
  6. Ilk Yellow Belt

Ilk
    I have a very good friend fire fighter. I am not sure how things are in your country but I will explain you how are they in mine.

There is a physical and mental test. You should research and see what their requirments are.

Regarding the physical test in my country:
    1. 1200 meters run for a time. So my friend prepared with running.
    2. Jumping test - you jump for lenght. So my friend prepared for that too.
    3. Agility and strenght test - basically running with obstacles - there was a ladder, there was a wall and running for a time in a special track. So he prepared by jumping over walls and climbing stairs.

The mental test was a mixture between an IQ and seeing if you do not have some serious mental health problems.

Research and prepare.

7. corpse Yellow Belt

corpse
    BigJohn1795 likes this.
  8. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    BigJohn1795 likes this.
  9. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795
    There is a mental test of sorts. All public workers take a Civil Service Test which is believe is just a basic test to make sure you're not an idiot. Then there is an agility test within the department. IF they send me to fire academy then it's the fireman/EMS version of boot camp from what I hear. You don't have to go through the academy because the physical side and book side can be taught in house then you just go test.

10. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795
    So I start my online book work soon and then go from there to a 2 week Fire boot camp in Texas. They say it's an intense training out there but when you graduate your a fireman so now I need to step up my physical fitness.

11. eastNYgoon138 Green Belt

eastNYgoon138
    I'm a park ranger/EMT/wild land firefighter. You need to be strong for these types of jobs. My advice would be to completely ignore this bullshit kettlebell advice and move up the ranks of strength with the most effective programs in this order. Starting Strength >>> Texas Method >>> Starr Model. Sprinkle a couple of days of hill/prowler sprints and yoga a week and you've got all your bases covered. Building your barbell low bar back squat is by far the most important aspect.

Here are videos I agree with.

ASUThermo and BigJohn1795 like this.
  12. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795

Thanks a lot! What state are you in?

13. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795
    Two those who care:

I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago about going to take my civil service test for the local fire department

NurseKnuckles and Sano like this.
  14. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    Nice.
    Any feedback from any of the referrals you had in this thread? Id be interested to know whether you contacted my friend or not.

15. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795
    I did and I typed their contact stuff in wrong and forgot to redo it. Thanks for the reminder. I have watched some videos based off of referrals like those above with the bald guy. That helped me weave through training BS and I've watched other training videos and it's not what I thought. I've learned there's professional fit: inshape for fire, law, EMS, and military; then is the body builder fit along with Athletic Fit. UFC fighters and NFL players are fit but they're not the same kinda fit as a fireman or military. No doubt a lineman is fit and can lift a man and drop him same way no doubt a fighter can take someone down but the difference is service members have to carry or drag that person. I need long term endurance type strength to beable to perform tasks such as carrying hose or a ladder or swinging an axe. I've weeded out the kettle bell system. They're good and can be used but a lot of what I'm seeing is just old school fitness and strength training. I need to do dead lifts for lifting things like hose or people and I need to row for dragging hose or I need cardio endurance to keep me going long after I should have faded out.

NurseKnuckles likes this.
  16. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795
    corpse likes this.
  17. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795
    Oh another thing I learned from here that has proven true is flexiblity is key. Now that I've started stretching more getting in and out of fire trucks is easier and so is climbing onto the top of them for supplies.

NurseKnuckles likes this.
  18. BigJohn1795 White Belt

BigJohn1795
    Another update:

I've been doing more job related stuff. My house sits on top of a hill and in the evenings I walk with a weight vest on up and down our hill. Well the other morning I worked a wreck with my volunteer department and it was a two vehicle crash that happened on a hill top with one being on each side and I had to talk up and down a lot. That hill walking at home had already started helping me there. Other volunteer members were sucking wind but I was just barely breathing harder than normal. I've been doing some farmers carries with weights to simulate hose and other supplies like a saw. I haven't done big body building type stuff but I've used job related materials and basic exercises. One thing I've also done is dead lifting and I enjoy it and see it coming in handy getting strong enough to help pick up people or whatever. This hasn't been terrible.

corpse likes this.
  19. Thorpedo28 White Belt

Thorpedo28
    The gym I train at is ran by 2 ex Fireman and the gym itself is called 'Firehouse Fitness'

They put a lot of emphasis on all round fitness with some of the circuits being quite KB focus'd like has been mentioned previously, along with box jumps, sprints, prowlers etc.

In addition to this the two main guys are also lifting heavy to maintain the strength base as the stronger you are the lighter a fixed weight feels and in turn puts less demand on you.

Couple of runs a week probably wouldn't be a bad thing either to improve your cardio