Fireman Fitness

BigJohn1795

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
(please move to the correct spot if not allowed here)

I've posted on other sections of forms and my local fire department (blocks from the local MMA gym) will be hiring later this year. I've done some volunteer work with other FD's and so forth but I'm not in shape enough to do some of the stuff. What's a fireman fitness plan? I can't seem to find any online.

If you have kettlebells, Anthony DiLuglio has a workout specifically for firefighters. There are probably a few more at Dragondoor because they specialized in military, law enforcement and emergency responders for awhile.

Are you planning to become a paid firefighter or is this to get in shape?

FDNY has a full workout plan to prepare for the academy.

Both cardio and strength are very important, especially if you're going to be a smoke diver, but don't forget mental fortitude. When you're wearing a mask and actually about to go into a fire your heart rate is already spiked. Not to mention the smoke, equipment and heat makes it even worse once you get there. You'll gas immediately if you're not in shape, and that's a very dangerous thing.

It depends on what you will be doing and what position you'll be in. Being a fireman is a lot of carrying, breaking, raising, moving, lifting and climbing stairs. A basic strength program will be good, add in carries and drags, a few LISS sessions a week and a few anaerobic sessions like stairs, hills or rowing machine at a higher pace. Don't get fat. That should be a good base. It would be a good idea to practice a few techniques for lifting and handling a person, and a hose, as well. You will need to take a test and get some kind of certification right?

Your blood pressure and so forth should check out as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If you have kettlebells, Anthony DiLuglio has a workout specifically for firefighters. There are probably a few more at Dragondoor because they specialized in military, law enforcement and emergency responders for awhile.
I only have one set and they're like 10lbs a piece, would that be good enough?

Are you planning to become a paid firefighter or is this to get in shape?

FDNY has a full workout plan to prepare for the academy.
Paid. I'm gonna work full time with the paid department then volunteer still with my local one (paid is an hour away) while I save up money to move off. An academy prep would be great because I'll have to go to Louisiana's academy.

Both cardio and strength are very important, especially if you're going to be a smoke diver, but don't forget mental fortitude. When you're wearing a mask and actually about to go into a fire your heart rate is already spiked. Not to mention the smoke, equipment and heat makes it even worse once you get there. You'll gas immediately if you're not in shape, and that's a very dangerous thing.

It depends on what you will be doing and what position you'll be in. Being a fireman is a lot of carrying, breaking, raising, moving, lifting and climbing stairs. A basic strength program will be good, add in carries and drags, a few LISS sessions a week and a few anaerobic sessions like stairs, hills or rowing machine at a higher pace. Don't get fat. That should be a good base. It would be a good idea to practice a few techniques for lifting and handling a person, and a hose, as well. You will need to take a test and get some kind of certification right?

Your blood pressure and so forth should check out as well.

Good luck!

Thank you. Being the rookie I assume most of my job will be lifting hose, pulling hose, holding ladders, opening hydrants, carrying tools like axes or chain saws, etc. The tallest building in the city is 4 stories. So luckily I won't be climbing huge buildings but stairs will be a apart of the job. Since I'm a volunteer right now I'm gonna use rolls of hose as weights some. I know for sure I need to work on cardio and endurance. No question there. Strength needs some work. I'm strong but if I had to drag my partner or another person I'd struggle for sure. One thing I've been told by current members is if I'm coming in I need to walk a lot with my weighted vest on. They say that the departments first screening isn't horrible but they're gonna weed out the out of shapes candidates and then us left will get sent to academy to learn the book and physical side. Endurance and gas/stamina is my weakest links

Thank you. Being the rookie I assume most of my job will be lifting hose, pulling hose, holding ladders, opening hydrants, carrying tools like axes or chain saws, etc. The tallest building in the city is 4 stories. So luckily I won't be climbing huge buildings but stairs will be a apart of the job. Since I'm a volunteer right now I'm gonna use rolls of hose as weights some. I know for sure I need to work on cardio and endurance. No question there. Strength needs some work. I'm strong but if I had to drag my partner or another person I'd struggle for sure. One thing I've been told by current members is if I'm coming in I need to walk a lot with my weighted vest on. They say that the departments first screening isn't horrible but they're gonna weed out the out of shapes candidates and then us left will get sent to academy to learn the book and physical side. Endurance and gas/stamina is my weakest links
How long do you have? Which workouts are you already doing? Kettlebells are definitely not a bad idea as you'll be manipulating a lot of objects.

I would do something like this:

Strength: A basic squat and deadlift variation that suits you and your body type. Some lunges or walking lunges with weights or a weight west. A horizontal and a vertical pulling variation either with BW or kettebells. Some presses either with BW or kettlebells. A variation of a Turkish getup that you can handle. Then some carries, like walking with a hexbar/trapbar with some weight, or if you have a dummy or heavy bag of sand you can practice firemans carry variations. You can work with different sizes if you have them, or better yet a friend if possible. Some walking prowler pulling with a rope, walking backwards and forwards both, could be a good exercise as well. Add a few accessory/isolation exercises to target some weak points, pain or to strengthen joints. Your shoulders, back and knees will thank you if you take care of them, so practice good technique, especially if you're going to be a firefighter.

Cardio: LISS runs (or cycling, or jumprope, or whichever, although running will have the most carryover if your joints can handle it) 2-3 times a week. Keep HR 120-150, depending on your fitness from 30-60 minutes. HIT or anaerobic work 2 times a week for short to medium durations, like upwards hill sprints (walk down), some running or climbing stairs, and some rowing on the rowing machine (this one is great) at a high pace. You could do these at the end of your strength sessions if they are not too long and you are pressed for time, as anaerobic work synergizes somewhat with strength work.

Work your way up, build up your fitness gradually, control the resistance and be consistent.

Maybe others can chime in!

PS: I grew up near a firestation, my father was a firefighter for 32 years in the capital over here and I'm a physio.

Last edited:
How long do you have? Which workouts are you already doing? Kettlebells are definitely not a bad idea as you'll be manipulating a lot of objects.

I would do something like this:

Strength: A basic squat and deadlift variation that suits you and your body type. Some lunges or walking lunges with weights or a weight west. A horizontal and a vertical pulling variation either with BW or kettebells. Some presses either with BW or kettlebells. A variation of a Turkish getup that you can handle. Then some carries, like walking with a hexbar/trapbar with some weight, or if you have a dummy or heavy bag of sand you can practice firemans carry variations. You can work with different sizes if you have them, or better yet a friend if possible. Some walking prowler pulling with a rope, walking backwards and forwards both, could be a good exercise as well. Add a few accessory/isolation exercises to target some weak points, pain or to strengthen joints. Your shoulders, back and knees will thank you if you take care of them, so practice good technique, especially if you're going to be a firefighter.

Cardio: LISS runs (or cycling, or jumprope, or whichever, although running will have the most carryover if your joints can handle it) 2-3 times a week. Keep HR 120-150, depending on your fitness from 30-60 minutes. HIT or anaerobic work 2 times a week for short to medium durations, like upwards hill sprints (walk down), some running or climbing stairs, and some rowing on the rowing machine (this one is great) at a high pace. You could do these at the end of your strength sessions if they are not too long and you are pressed for time, as anaerobic work synergizes somewhat with strength work.

Work your way up, build up your fitness gradually, control the resistance and be consistent.

Maybe others can chime in!

PS: I grew up near a firestation, my father was a firefighter for 32 years in the capital over here and I'm a physio.

I can't seem to find the schedule again but the next state fire academy I believe is in August. I'm currently just walking and doing body weight like push ups but I knew I needed to do more. So I came here for help. Sooner the better though i guess. I haven't heard a real set date they'll start hiring, just heard it'll be later this year. I want to have my ducks in a row

I can't seem to find the schedule again but the next state fire academy I believe is in August. I'm currently just walking and doing body weight like push ups but I knew I needed to do more. So I came here for help. Sooner the better though i guess. I haven't heard a real set date they'll start hiring, just heard it'll be later this year. I want to have my ducks in a row
Okay that's cool, so you have a few months. It's a pretty heavy workload, so work your way into the training and don't overdo it. Consistency is the most important thing, When you start to recover better you can do a little more. Hope it works out! Have fun and keep us posted!

I will and I appreciate the help from you guys. This will be my first reall career possible job and it will give me a chance to finally move out from parents house.
Okay that's cool, so you have a few months. It's a pretty heavy workload, so work your way into the training and don't overdo it. Consistency is the most important thing, When you start to recover better you can do a little more. Hope it works out! Have fun and keep us posted!

Where can I find the workout? It shouldn't be to hard to find a 36lb kettle bell

Have you ever used a kettlebell before? If you haven't, I would not recommend you jump into AOS Firepower (the name of the workout) because the KB can mess you up if you have imperfect technique. Will return to this thread later for a longer response, but if you're new to kettlebells check out some of the other suggestions.

Have you ever used a kettlebell before? If you haven't, I would not recommend you jump into AOS Firepower (the name of the workout) because the KB can mess you up if you have imperfect technique. Will return to this thread later for a longer response, but if you're new to kettlebells check out some of the other suggestions.

Yeah I've never really used one. Not more than just a little light work

So I just walked a mile and a half and I'm not as in good of shape as I thought. Gotta keep on and walk it again tomorrow

(please move to the correct spot if not allowed here)

I've posted on other sections of forms and my local fire department (blocks from the local MMA gym) will be hiring later this year. I've done some volunteer work with other FD's and so forth but I'm not in shape enough to do some of the stuff. What's a fireman fitness plan? I can't seem to find any online.

Good 4 part article here, written by a firefighter that does s&c programming for Fire academies/recruits:

http://www.tacticalbarbell.com/training-to-be-a-firefighter-part-i/

Back