firas zahabi

Yeah, and I’m sure he would still straight up wreck 90% of black belt competitors in the gi.

Not going to medal at Mundials, but still a force.

Guys with elite competence at sub grappling don’t become incompetent just by putting on or taking off a gi.

jake gets swept alot due to his base he wasnt use to guys pulling him around by his gi u develop an amazing wide base in bjj when you play guys with good spider de la riva guards he does his passing on the knees alot like pablo popovitch

He is an elite coach because he knows and acknowledges his limitations. That's why he brought in John danaher.

He produces nice mma grapplers, like Rory, GSP, OAM etc. Nice for mma, not usually for pure grappling.

I don't think you can give Firas credit for GSP's grappling. Georges was always a more advanced grappler than Firas. Sure Firas contributed to his ground game but I highly doubt he would say he "produced" St-Pierre's ground game.

GSP has literally had dozens of trainers/coaches in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and wrestling over the years.

A lot of the ground-n-pound aspect of Georges' game came from Greg Jackson.

In BJJ, GSP was promoted to blue belt by Wagney Fabiano, Nova Uniao, purple belt Fabio Holander, BTT, brown belt by Renzo Gracie, and 1st degree black belt by Bruno Fernandes. His main grappling coach for the majority of his championship reign in the UFC was John Danaher who awarded Firas his black belt.

Georges was trained in Freestyle wrestling by numerous members of the Canadian National wrestling team including Cleo NCube, Gia Sissaouri, David and Victor Zilberman.

John Danaher has said publicly on numerous occasions that Georges is mostly responsible for putting together all of his knowledge from wrestling and BJJ. Firas was one of many who assisted.

I don't think you can give Firas credit for GSP's grappling. Georges was always a more advanced grappler than Firas. Sure Firas contributed to his ground game but I highly doubt he would say he "produced" St-Pierre's ground game.

GSP has literally had dozens of trainers/coaches in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and wrestling over the years.

In BJJ, GSP was promoted to blue belt by Wagney Fabiano, Nova Uniao, purple belt Fabio Holander, BTT, brown belt by Renzo Gracie, and 1st degree black belt by Bruno Fernandes. His main grappling coach for the majority of his championship reign in the UFC was John Danaher who awarded Firas his black belt.

Georges was trained in Freestyle wrestling by numerous members of the Canadian National wrestling team including Cleo NCube, Gia Sissaouri, David and Victor Zilberman.

John Danaher has said publicly on numerous occasions that Georges is mostly responsible for putting together all of his knowledge from wrestling and BJJ. Firas was one of many who assisted.

That's interesting.

I was casually training Kickboxing at Tri-Star from like 99 to 2004, at the time when a Gi was still unheard of in Tri-Star (they trained only no-gi until like 2005).

Georges was certainly not there all the time. I assume that Tri-Star was just one of the places he frequented.

And on Firas, in my limited and outdated experience (I rather trained under Conrad and just a little bit under Firas for BJJ & MMA) he is a very articulate and cerebral coach, as well as a nice guy. I have alot of respect for him (and so does everybody who ever trained with him).

Lastly, not many people know this but Firas is gifted in striking as well. Very aggressive in sparring and has won some MT competitions. I have seen him woop ass of pretentious visitors at Tri-Star.

This is even more impressive as I am pretty sure that he didn't train striking until what, 2002 ? Don't quote me on that but I don't think he learned striking before he went to Thailand the first time.

how good of a bjj coach do you think he is ? like one of the best in the world or decent black? iveben watching a few of his vids i like some of his ideas on things hes doing

He was my coach just when he was taking over the bjj class at tri star, before he owned it.

He had some rough edges but overall he is super scientific, methodological, and philosophical about his approach to everything in life and MMA.

He has top level competitors in bjj and mma so that should say something. Not sure if I could say one of the top of the world in just bjj but I would say he is in MMA.

This is largely correct, I would add that as GSP moved away from his old main coach (victor) and to Jackson after the first Serra fight, Firas more and more became his head coach, and GSP went there for a reason.

That's interesting.

I was casually training Kickboxing at Tri-Star from like 99 to 2004, at the time when a Gi was still unheard of in Tri-Star (they trained only no-gi until like 2005).

Georges was certainly not there all the time. I assume that Tri-Star was just one of the places he frequented.

And on Firas, in my limited and outdated experience (I rather trained under Conrad and just a little bit under Firas for BJJ & MMA) he is a very articulate and cerebral coach, as well as a nice guy. I have alot of respect for him (and so does everybody who ever trained with him).

Lastly, not many people know this but Firas is gifted in striking as well. Very aggressive in sparring and has won some MT competitions. I have seen him woop ass of pretentious visitors at Tri-Star.

This is even more impressive as I am pretty sure that he didn't train striking until what, 2002 ? Don't quote me on that but I don't think he learned striking before he went to Thailand the first time.

First time I saw Firas, he was in Tri star wearing a GI squaring off against a kick boxer in the ring. He was doing Royce Gracie takedowns and subs in a really old school style. No striking, no real wrestling. That had to be 2000 maybe 2001, like a year later he was getting the better of me in kickboxing, 2 years later he was destroying me. He def learned before he went to Thailand (Conrad / victor).

We have to know each other :)

That's interesting.

Around the time you were there, GSP's MMA coach before Firas was Victor Skargotsky (not sure how his name is spelled), a former russian sniper.

Around the time you were there, GSP's MMA coach before Firas was Victor Skargotsky (not sure how his name is spelled), a former russian sniper.

He was an old school western kickboxer as well.

Vargotsky, think he was ISKA continental champ or something like that.

Yeah it's Vargostky.

I am pretty sure he 's Ukranian and that he was a striking coach (not MMA).

This is largely correct, I would add that as GSP moved away from his old main coach (victor) and to Jackson after the first Serra fight, Firas more and more became his head coach, and GSP went there for a reason.

First time I saw Firas, he was in Tri star wearing a GI squaring off against a kick boxer in the ring. He was doing Royce Gracie takedowns and subs in a really old school style. No striking, no real wrestling. That had to be 2000 maybe 2001, like a year later he was getting the better of me in kickboxing, 2 years later he was destroying me. He def learned before he went to Thailand (Conrad / victor).

We have to know each other :)

Firas in a gi around 2000 ? Ok if you say so but I am very surprised.

For me, 2000 is the time when there they were training in ripped T-shirts and wrestling shoes. :) This must have been the time I think when the first BJJ coach (Angelos Exharakhos or something like that) was there.

I am pretty sure that Firas told the guys to get the Gi around 2005, because it was one of the last times I trained there before moving away and I remember thinking WTF a gi ? It felt somehow completely out of place at the moment.

Yeah dude it's pretty sure that we know eachother :-D

However, I was not hard-core in anything I trained in and was rather low-profile, so maybe you wouldn't remember me.

Firas in a gi around 2000 ? Ok if you say so but I am very surprised.

Yeah to be clear it was not GI as in sports Jiu Jitsu, it was "i wanna be royce graci" Gi. David Guigi used to wear a gi sometime as well. But it went out of fashion quick which is why you may have never seen it (I only saw it once with Firas).

For me, 2000 is the time when there they were training in ripped T-shirts and wrestling shoes. :) This must have been the time I think when the first BJJ coach (Angelos Exharakhos or something like that) was there.

Exactly right Angelos was the top dog, and he was a purple belt that flew to Renzo's every week and then would show us what he had learned. TBF though he was a beast of a purple belt (had wrestling, was super strong, etc.)

I am pretty sure that Firas told the guys to get the Gi around 2005, because it was one of the last times I trained there before moving away and I remember thinking WTF a gi ? It felt somehow completely out of place at the moment.

It was later than that, as I did my last fight for him in 2006 at Fight Quest One and IIRC and I think Bruno was starting to teach at Tri Star at the time (black belt who trained Firas for while). I could be off though.

Yeah dude it's pretty sure that we know eachother :-D

However, I was not hard-core in anything I trained in and was rather low-profile, so maybe you wouldn't remember me.

You mean you did not go around calling all the English scum like you do in the war room? :)

J/K nice to meet a fellow Tri Star guy online!!!!!!!!

Yeah it's Vargostky.

I am pretty sure he 's Ukranian and that he was a striking coach (not MMA).

Correct, 100% striking. Old school north america kickboxing but had trained in MT as well.

Yeah to be clear it was not GI as in sports Jiu Jitsu, it was "i wanna be royce graci" Gi. David Guigi used to wear a gi sometime as well. But it went out of fashion quick which is why you may have never seen it (I only saw it once with Firas).

Exactly right Angelos was the top dog, and he was a purple belt that flew to Renzo's every week and then would show us what he had learned. TBF though he was a beast of a purple belt (had wrestling, was super strong, etc.)

It was later than that, as I did my last fight for him in 2006 at Fight Quest One and IIRC and I think Bruno was starting to teach at Tri Star at the time (black belt who trained Firas for while). I could be off though.

You mean you did not go around calling all the English scum like you do in the war room? :)

J/K nice to meet a fellow Tri Star guy online!!!!!!!!

Ha ha, no I only do that online like a boss :-D

Besides, there were far too many Anglos at Tristar who could kick my ass. ;-)

Fuck. Talking about 2000 Tristar is bringing the feels, bro.

Fuck. Talking about 2000 Tristar is bringing the feels, bro.

Me 2 bro

Dude last week I just found on my wife's computer an old VHS fight converted to digital.

Me fighting at the very first Tri Star in an ammy kickboxing match like the year after it opened.

I was 21

The year was 1991.

The UFC did not even exist yet.

L O L !!!!!!

/ConnorMcGreggorWhoDaFookIsThat.gif

Me 2 bro

Dude last week I just found on my wife's computer an old VHS fight converted to digital.

Me fighting at the very first Tri Star in an ammy kickboxing match like the year after it opened.

I was 21

The year was 1991.

The UFC did not even exist yet.

L O L !!!!!!

Ha ha I think I remember visiting that place. Wasn't it on Jean-Talon or something, not far from the train tracks ?
I don't remember how or why I went there though.

Ha ha I think I remember visiting that place. Wasn't it on Jean-Talon or something, not far from the train tracks ?
I don't remember how or why I went there though.

Jean Talon next to all the car dealerships. First 2 Tristars were there. Then it closed and reopened in the place it now stands.

i dont really believe in how he says u should work bjj and wrestling together just somedays we work takedowns somedays work subs i think you end up being a jack of all trades then since u know you van pull guard guys are gonna drop back if your forced to wrestle in wrestling rules it makes you push forward and not fall back to guard

Back