Firas on JRE - GSP Strength and Conditionning

Bodil

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Fairly interesting first part regarding training, shifting his focus from intensity to volume over the years, kinda makes you rethink training. Kinda lost my interest at the philosophy part (I understood it all, just too abstract for me).

Firas did mention that when GSP said he doesn't do ''any strength and conditionning'' there was a huge language barrier there, and that in fact, they did tons of lifting + conditionning. He said he would get back to that, but never did.

Anyone know what he was talking about? I remember seeing GSP training with Chaimberg doing weighted Chin Ups, DB Press, Ball slams, etc. so when GSP says he doesn't lift at all or if he does, it's just for looks, I just can't take it seriously.

Wondering what Firas meant by the ''language barrier'' statement.

He lives in Montreal. French is the main language there.

I know. I live there too and speak French as well.

The question is what was the language barrier. What did GSP mean by ''I don't do Strength and Conditionning'' if is head trainer says he did tons of it and that GSP expressed himself wrongly in his non-native language.

George "The Bodybuilder" St Pierre. Sounds decent.

GSP was never known for his cardio, he was simply efficient with his energy since he would get a takedown and ease his way through a dominant position.

When is the last time you saw a GSP fight that made you go wow how does not get tired?

Last edited:
The guy who routinely went 5 rounds without slowing down wasn't known for his cardio?

<36>
He was known not to get tired in his fights, this is a far cry from someone who is known to have high input relentless pressure but that doesn't fatigue

He was known not to get tired in his fight, this is a far cry from someone who is known to have high input relentless pressure but that doesn't tire out
You're not making sense. GSP has the record for most strikes landed in a single fight. He's got the most time fighting in the octagon. He's set title fight records for takedowns and consecutive rounds won.

How in the flying fuck are you telling me he didn't have good cardio?

{<huh}

GSP was never known for his cardio, he was simply efficient with his energy since he would get a takedown and ease his way through a dominant position.

When is the last time you saw a GSP fight that made you go wow how does not get tired?

I see your point, but you can't say he wasn't known for his cardio. Routinely went 5 rounds = good cardio.

Maybe not Diaz level, but he also beat his ass over 5 rounds so...yeah.

You're not making sense. GSP has the record for most strikes landed in a single fight. He's got the most time fighting in the octagon. He's set title fight records for takedowns and consecutive rounds won.

How in the flying fuck are you telling me he didn't have good cardio?

{<huh}
It sounds like you are new to the sport or have never trained.

Having the most strikes landed has nothing to do with numbers of strikes thrown. First of all doesn't Nate Diaz hold this title? This is the guy known for his great cardio with relentless nonstop pressure.

I will repeat this statement again to help you understand.

When is the last time you watched a GSP fight and you thought to yourself "Wow how does he not get tired after doing all that"?

Having the most strikes landed has nothing to do with numbers of strikes thrown. First of all doesn't Nate Diaz hold this title? This is the guy known for his great cardio with relentless nonstop pressure.

When is the last time you watched a GSP fight and you thought to yourself "Wow how does he not get tired after doing all that"?
You mean aside from literally every time he finished 25 minutes of fighting without looking tired?

When you blatantly ignore facts, you don't get to be condescending, mmkay?

You mean aside from literally every time he finished 25 minutes of fighting without looking tired?

When you blatantly ignore facts, you don't get to be condescending, mmkay?
That is called pacing yourself. He doesn't get tired because he fights smart and effectively, it has nothing to do with whether he can sprint for 25min straight.

Energy control is not the samething as good cardio.

Firas did mention that when GSP said he doesn't do ''any strength and conditionning'' there was a huge language barrier there, and that in fact, they did tons of lifting + conditionning. He said he would get back to that, but never did.

He said they did loads of conditionning

GSP seems to refer to S&C as what he did back in the day, being always in the weight room, doing crossfit like circuits doing hard cardio. Back then he was killing himself in the gym.

Now he does sprint training, pool training, gymnastics... All well paced activities without a guy yelling ''one more rep''

Fairly interesting first part regarding training, shifting his focus from intensity to volume over the years, kinda makes you rethink training.

It really hit something with me also, I think I was naturally going that path, but it just conforted me. I used to do a lot of cross training with my main training being BJJ. I was all about going really hard on my runs and in the weight room, to the point of draining myself, to stop enjoying it and to finally hurt my BJJ.

Now I will be more relax and playful with those workouts, better be in shape to have those 4-5 BJJ trainings a week. If I go 70% or find a way to make them less painful (physically and mentally) I'm sure I can put in 2-3 hours of cross training every week instead of trying to do PRs and only train for an hour, hurting myself in the process and end up doing less BJJ which is what I really like to do.

Nate Diaz is also a Lightweight, if you're going to compare cardio use Nick to make it apples-to-apples.

If you look at five round fights that have gone to decision for Nick Diaz, and compare them with GSP, their cardio isn't all that different (especially when factoring in takedown attempts).

DIAZ | 308.3 total strikes avg, 3.3 takedown attempts avg
Diaz vs. Silva | 226 total strikes attempted, 1 takedown attempted.
Diaz vs. Condit | 258 total strikes attempted, 3 takedowns attempted.
Diaz vs. Noons 2 | 441 total strikes attempted, 6 takedowns attempted.

GSP | 280.0 total strikes avg, 8.0 takedown attempts avg
GSP vs. Fitch | 303 total strikes attempted, 9 takedowns attempted.
GSP vs. Koscheck 2 | 292 total strikes attempted, 9 takedowns attempted.
GSP vs. Hendricks | 245 total strikes attempted, 6 takedowns attempted.

It's easier to have a higher career average striking output when you've competed in less 5-round fights.

GSP also had more output than Diaz when they fought one another:

GSP: 197 total strikes attempted from distance and clinch (285 attempted with ground included).
Diaz: 174 total strikes attempted from distance and clinch (176 attempted with ground included).

GSP: 16 takedown attempts.
Diaz: 0 takedown attempts.

So it would seem GSP shifted his focus from ''weights'' to more sprinting/gymnastic oriented training.

I still think his brute strength came from weight training at an early age. I've trained with weights since I was 16, I'm 28. I'm sure if I stopped and only did BW training and sprints I would still be ''strong'' at 35.

GSP is a freak athlete, he could do anything and still be strong imo, but most of it came from weight training early I think.

As for people saying efficiency vs cardio GSP brushed on that a bit, and he said numerous times that VO2 max is irrelevant vs efficiency.

Like all of his fights except the Bisping fight.

Most guys get exhausted after a couple of level changes.
Most guys get sluggish after a couple of rounds, or their movements get clumsy.
Not GSP. His movement is quick and crisp in the 5th round.

Should've accepted you said something dumb, made a joke about it and retained some dignity. Instead we get the classic sherdog stupid statement double down.

*Popcorn.gif

Back