Firas from tristar talking about fitness in mma.

Holy cliffs? I can barely stand this guy 1:07:00 is gonna be rough.

10 minutes in and ....

I agree gymnastics helps a lot (I use a lot of movements). I don’t view it as superior to BB’s/DB’s but both should be used.

No correlation to running faster via lifting weights? I hope he misspoke… see Ben Johnson and Bolt for details.

McGill is a great tool for back stuff. No issue here really.

BW Squat only?

I agree placing technical aspects > lifting, but he’s bordering on nearly eliminating it because of a small sample size. If we're going to use anecdotes like he did, the last BJJ athlete i put on a program gained 6lbs of muscle, no fat, and everyone said his new strength helped the kid beast mode everyone to a point they couldn't deal with it. That was 1 month.

You can lift heavy without over taxing the CNS, jesus christ...

No correlation to running faster via lifting weights? I hope he misspoke… see Ben Johnson and Bolt for details.
If he really said this he should be outsourcing tristar's s&c coaching

Its worth watching if you got the time.

If he really said this he should be outsourcing tristar's s&c coaching
The guy says a lot more no correlation and "correlated" things. No correlation between lifting and sprinting, so dont do much of it. But, plenty of correlation between flesh protein and yada yada so he follows that. I'm sure he's skilled at jiu jitsu, but he has a lot of things backwards.

Nobody will be 100% right about everything. Not you, not me, not firas...

Still a very watchable video imo

My takeaway from Tristar and Firas is that he got fucking lucky with GSP. GSP is a freak athlete with all the god given tools to be great! He would have succeeded anywhere.

He's evidence of a good technical coach who got lucky being gifted a great athlete or two, much like naudi or ido portal.

My takeaway from Tristar and Firas is that he got fucking lucky with GSP. GSP is a freak athlete with all the god given tools to be great! He would have succeeded anywhere.

You could say that with any gym who got one superstar. But yeah.. Most people like to look at things from a negative pov

You could say that with any gym who got one superstar. But yeah.. Most people like to look at things from a negative pov

This is exactly what a lot of the argument is about when discussing good coaches Vs. great coaches. It's not being negative, it's filtering out garbage statement from people who should know better

GSP who happens to lift weights a ton too.

Its always fun to see people bring up fighters who clearly lift to support their arguments. eg. GSP doesn't lift to better his performance, he does it to look good.
Even if its not his priority, he's still reaping the benefits for sure. Its like saying I got a raise from a 30k job to a 100k job and I didn't take it for the money, I took it to be happy. Don't mean that excess income isn't helping me at all.

Also you can kind of tell who lifts based on their physiques. Yeah.. I'm sure Overeem, Palhares, GSP, etc got their physiques doing BW circuit training along with no form of progressive overload whatsoever, very believable.

Not to mention GSP varies his training based on part of the year, part of his current health, how he has progressed recently, and what he can handle to stay healthy heading in. He rarely does the same things more than twice. Even his diet changes often and is incredibly varied based on the phase he is in.

To be fair, GSP does almost no PLing. Mostly gymnastics, stability work and plyos. He does a lot of odd stuff too.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/train-like-striking-truth-star-georges-st-pierre.html

Also, in regards to the topic. Tristar is a very good gym. Say what you want about Firas, and I personally don't like him, but he knows fighting. GSP, Rory, Florian, Makdessi, Menjivar, Kang, Carmont and Taleb are all out of Tristar. Wonderboy is an affiliate there too. But yes, a lot of what he says is unfounded, and some of the books he recommended, yikes!

He is right that time spent on the mats is better than time spent lifting heavy though, at least for beginners. As he laid out, person A is doing five 1 hour classes a week BJJ, person B is doing three 1 hour classes and two strenght days a week. Both start BJJ at the same time with no experience and both have let's say even barbell strenght. In a year, person A has 240 hours on the mat, person B has 144 hours. Person B has also increased his or her lifts by lets say(let's say they are novice, but past newbie gains) squat by 60lbs, dl by 80lbs, bench by 15lbs and OHP by 12lbs. Obvously when you are doing BJJ and are past the newbie stage, increasing lifts takes time, so I might be generous here.

One has increased Squat from let's say 220 to 280lbs and so forth.
The other has almost a 100 hours more on the mat.

Who would you favour in sparring? Keep in mind, rolling and sparring is not prancing around. You build endurance and strenght, especially grip strenght, and you learn to use your strenght a lot better. Motor patterns are much better, and the guy would know more techniques and have practiced them more.

I think it's a give and take. IMO, a person should start a good all around S&C program for maybe 6-8 months to strenghten ligaments, bones, build muscle, target weaknesses, optimise cardiovascular functions, perhaps lose weight and prevent injuries. Slowly building a base and towards the last few months start doing very heavy lifts and plyos. Then a person should begin their martial art and put strenght training on the back end for a while. Maybe a few maintanence workouts a month, and LEARN their martial arts. Spend time on the mat, spend time on the pads, spend time sparring, spend time rolling, study the moves, practice footwork and so forth ad nauseam! Then, when a person gets comfortable, slowly start introducing strenght training again and periodize it in blocks. When the point of diminishing returns gets too great, just maintain and work on other stuff.

To be clear, what I mean here by strenght training is barbell training/PLing.

That's how I see it anyways.

Last edited:
the last BJJ athlete i put on a program gained 6lbs of muscle, no fat, and everyone said his new strength helped the kid beast mode everyone to a point they couldn't deal with it. That was 1 month.
1 month worth of lifting helped your athlete "beast mode everyone to a point they couldn't deal with it"?

For real, now?

Tristar is not a bad gym at all, but it's clear to me that Firas's main strength is gameplanning/understanding MMA and bringing back the importance of the jab in MMA.

Tristar is not a bad gym at all, but it's clear to me that Firas's main strength is gameplanning/understanding MMA and bringing back the importance of the jab in MMA.

My main concern isn't the gym. I'm sure its a great place to train. However I feel like if you're coaching elite and professional athletes you should at least limit your comments to what you know and leave what you don't know to the people who know, you know?

Back