Finland ends experiment with universal basic income

That's why it is difficult to sympathize with American conservatives.
The only experiment they are willing to take is tax cuts for the rich. Which is a tried and failed method already.

Conservatives like myself have been calling for a reduction in spending for years.

Why do you demonize cutting the riches taxes when they pay like close to 40% of their earnings. You sure as hell don't pay that much

Sooo...
Finland does not actually need a UBI, but actively giving money away might make things more efficient?

Oh no, what a well-adjusted nation!

$685 a month?

I make more per check POST taxes/deductions. How do you live on $685 a month unless shit in Finland are super cheap.

i can assure you that shit in finland is not super cheap

$685 a month?

I make more per check POST taxes/deductions. How do you live on $685 a month unless shit in Finland are super cheap.

From what I understand, people were not living off of it. It was meant as a supplement.

I'm sure the half a million people in USA who are homeless would appreciate that $685.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...omeless-population-2017-official-count-crisis

I know Fox news and right wing in general thinks a society of serfs and billionaire overlords is just fine but I believe every soul has value and basic needs should be meet. Gratz for Finland for trying.

I think more countries will have to have basic income as robots replace surplus people and should be on the plate even now.

Last edited:
There may come a time when this is necessary, but it’s not today. There’s plenty of work to be done cleaning, rebuilding, and improving America.

There may come a time when this is necessary, but it’s not today. There’s plenty of work to be done cleaning, rebuilding, and improving America.

Pretty much this. Im curious to see the results of the finnish study, so we cna improve it 50 years from now when needed. A necessary virtue pocketed for later.

Considering that "reality" appears to be the optics associated with free money as opposed to any fiduciary concerns, this amounts to a misfire.

And just to illustrate how shit Fox News is, here's the crux of the NY Times article that it editorializes.

Fox News would have you believe that they ran out of money and freaked out. The reality is that it was an experiment to begin with and that they're using the results to revamp their social services programs.
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. Despite my right leaning stance on many things, UBI is something I strongly believe in.

Give me enough money to live off of and I'll never work another day in my life.

I'll just stay at home drinking Mountain Dew and playing video games.

Really? You'd find that fulfilling?

So, when it comes to money for some, we apply the "they'll use the money to make more money" assumption. When it comes to money for others, we apply the "they'll use the money to take it easy" assumption.

Seems inconsistent to me.
How did you arrive at that odd ball conclusion? He simply stated a truth. Some people will want to use that money to get ahead by what ever means. Some wont and will be comfortable with what ever life they can afford at that basic income level. I personally think that it will be predominantly the first group as most people I have met in real life want to further their interests. Me personally, if I had a UBI that got my bills paid, I would stop working and go back to school full time and get an actual education in a career that will bring me real financial security.

"The Finnish government reportedly announced Tuesday that it will end the country’s universal basic income program by year's end -- and appears to be taking on new measures to cut benefits to those who do not actively seek employment.

Finland was considered the first European country to pay a monthly check of $685 to its unemployed between ages 25 and 58. It was considered a pilot program -- serving 2,000 randomly selected jobless people -- that its founders hoped to expand..."
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/0...versal-basic-income-program-by-years-end.html

Looks like idealism hit the brick wall of reality (again).

Hmmm.....reality!

So, I ask myself, why do people keep posting Fox News reports that are about articles published by other sources, instead of just posting the original source? Hm.

To butthurt you.

...its working

Shit, I'd love to never have to work again. I've been working since I was 12.

Yeah but you're in your 70's. You've done all your living already.

Shit, I'd love to never have to work again. I've been working since I was 12.

To be more serious, I couldn't play video games all day. I've been unemployed before, and the feeling of being useless and unproductive sets in long before financial problems start piling up. I'd have to do something that brought value to other peoples lives.

At this point in time, UBI is liberal's flat tax and poorly thought out policy. We already have a better system in place for redistribution.

I will be quite interested to drill down. 2000 is a decent sample size for a country with a population of 5.5 million.

I am curious as wo why they put no conditions whatsoever on the income. Even is they had simply required that if the recipients we re currently unemployed that they volunteered in certain areas 12-15 hours a week, or something like that.
If I remember it right in Russian news programme it was mentioned that idea of that experiment was like - if we give 600 $ to people without jobs would this money encourage these people to go and take shitty cheap jobs where they will be getting payed much less than 600 $ in a month.

Back