Finishing the Triangle Choke: Mixing Oldschool and Newschool and Beating Resistances

Invisible Jiu Jitsu

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Do we always have to angle off to finish a triangle? What if they try to stack or pick me up? 1st Degree Black Belt David Morcegao gives his take on the subject.

I have a 27 inch inseam, my preferred triangle finish is to do it on juveniles

I basically ALWAYS angle. The choke is so much tighter and powerful, plus the stack is much harder to achieve.

When doing it straight on, I feel like I really need to use the muscles in my legs to squeeze the choke. When angled, I feel like the choke "slots in" a lot tighter and just locks, without me having to muscle it anywhere near as much.

I basically ALWAYS angle. The choke is so much tighter and powerful, plus the stack is much harder to achieve.

When doing it straight on, I feel like I really need to use the muscles in my legs to squeeze the choke. When angled, I feel like the choke "slots in" a lot tighter and just locks, without me having to muscle it anywhere near as much.

I pretty much always angle too, unless the guy is really really broad

my legs are relative short, I am short, and if I dont angle off, I have a pretty hard time locking up the triangle on guys with a broad back, not to mention, like ryan said, I could squeeze for ever, while staying square drains your legs. Also getting picked up it is a very real thing if your staying square. If your are on an angle, that is just not possible, no matter how much bigger stronger the person is.

for me is a no brainer, as you said, both systems work, I find angling just to be more efficient.

I pretty much always angle too, unless the guy is really really broad

Same. Although, to be honest, despite my length (I'm 6'4"), I'm still at the point where my triangles generally fail against big, broad guys, so I just go for something else (sweep and/or arm drag to the back).

Rolled with a MASSIVE guy a few weeks back who could feel I was setting up a triangle. He just looked up at me and said "You know that's not going to work on me, right?". Of course, that just made me more determined to lock it up... It didn't work. He pressured through it and proceeded to smash me in side control. Good times haha.

Same. Although, to be honest, despite my length (I'm 6'4"), I'm still at the point where my triangles generally fail against big, broad guys, so I just go for something else (sweep and/or arm drag to the back).

Rolled with a MASSIVE guy a few weeks back who could feel I was setting up a triangle. He just looked up at me and said "You know that's not going to work on me, right?". Of course, that just made me more determined to lock it up... It didn't work. He pressured through it and proceeded to smash me in side control. Good times haha.

haha! it will work, don't let him bluff you, you just need to find how hehe

your legs are long as fuck, theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to lock up a triangle on any human being.... of course is going to work, you need to time it right, it aitn going to work if your oppenent sees you coming from a mile away, he doesnt even need to be that big if he sees it coming.

haha! it will work, don't let him bluff you, you just need to find how hehe

your legs are long as fuck, theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to lock up a triangle on any human being.... of course is going to work, you need to time it right, it aitn going to work if your oppenent sees you coming from a mile away, he doesnt even need to be that big if he sees it coming.

Yeah, I know it CAN work, but like I say, my game just isn't there yet. The massive guy also had about a decade of experience on me, to add to the 50 odd kg.

I'm never gonna stop going for triangle, but for the meantime, the big, higher belts are going to give me hell... as they should haha.

Yeah I always angle off. If I can’t get the angle I’ll work the teepee finish

Love, love, love your videos but this is what I see when you wear the Pink Gi.

I'm incompetent at walking back on my shoulders. Once I start getting stacked, I'm typically screwed.

I'm incompetent at walking back on my shoulders. Once I start getting stacked, I'm typically screwed.

your problem is most likely related to your lack of frame rather than your ability to shoulder walk backwards.

I gotta work on keeping tighter when I walk back. Been trying this for months now and they always somehow free the arm.

Back