Finishing the gullotine (Uriah style ) when they roll

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys ,

The gullotine is my favorite submission . I favour the Uriah Faber style finish , one leg across waist and one over the back (open guard style ) . However recently one of my training partners has been rolling forward which leaves us in a weird position with a scramble to get on top . Almost like a North south .

Does anyone have any tips for me in general ? Appreciate the above description is a bit vague but I'm trying to get my chokes tighter and a higher percentage rate as I almost always manage to get my arm under for the choke but he rolls forward and it's lost .

Thank you

Follow through with the roll and end up in full mount with teh guillotine?

Don't pull guard when you go for a guillotine..

Follow through with the roll and end up in full mount with teh guillotine?
If you're doing an arm-in guillotine and you feel like the mount transition isn't an option for whatever reason and end up in that North/South where you're both looking up, use your leg on the non-choking arm side of your body to push down your opponent's trapped arm and switch to an anaconda grip, then tighten that sumbitch up

Rolling out of a guillotine is a very common escape.

Your first priority should be to prevent the roll.
In general your top leg thats across your opponents back should be able to pull you along to end up on top.
Alternatively Marcelo Garcia also teaches to use your bottom leg to lock up half guard in order to prevent him from rolling or at least slow his roll down.

If you can't prevent the roll and your opponents stays on his back after rolling you can try to backwards roll into mount.
The other option would be to go for the anaconda. If you are doing the arm in guillotine you simply need to switch your grip and use your legs to collapse his elbow. For the no arm guillotine you can also try to force the anaconda.

A few videos I would suggest:

Back