Fine Motor Control

UnderRatedGroundGame

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am left handed but I have always trained orthodox. I have trained my right hand to be pretty good, not amazing, but I have confidence in it.

Anyway it still feels slightly clunky and I would like to increase my precision with it. So I have recently started incorporating training and sparring from the southpaw stance in the hope of increasing my precision, pop and fine motor control in my right hand. (also because I want to add switching stances into my arsenal)

So I'm here for advice on any drills and exercises to increase the control of my non-dominate hand. Also if theres anything I can do to get used to southpaw faster that would help too.

Thanks

Double ended bag is probably a good way to start, if you can have one.

You can do a lot of cool drills with a tennis ball as well. Throwing it against the ground and letting it bounce up against a wall and back at you, then throwing your jab or cross and catching it, while keeping a good stance. Another variation of that is having it in your hand, throwing a punch and releasing it against the wall and catch it directly as it recoils back.

You can bounce it around while keeping stance and shadowbox around it or catch it. Or even have someone throw it near you and trying to catch it.

Another pretty cool one is this:

Here's a short little vid on how to make it yourself:

Plenty of options with a tennis ball.

Otherwise just being aware of precision and trying to work it into your other drills will probably help out, as well as doing reactionary drills.

The really creative and finer motor skill stuff is done with the front hand and the front foot---i.e. various jabs, hooks, pivoting on your front foot, etc. The rear hand is just doing a cross motion, uppercut, or different types of overhands. Basically, you gain pretty much everything by having the dominant hand in the front except having a powerful rear hand. To answer your question, you will just have to do more of the regular work in the gym

It wont hurt but Sano's drills + just practicing the rear hand like above said is probably better than switching stances for now. If you have extra time after practice do southpaw but thats about it imo.

You can do a lot of cool drills with a tennis ball as well. Throwing it against the ground and letting it bounce up against a wall and back at you, then throwing your jab or cross and catching it, while keeping a good stance. Another variation of that is having it in your hand, throwing a punch and releasing it against the wall and catch it directly as it recoils back.

You can bounce it around while keeping stance and shadowbox around it or catch it. Or even have someone throw it near you and trying to catch it.

Otherwise just being aware of precision and trying to work it into your other drills will probably help out, as well as doing reactionary drills.

Dude I am so doing that next month after the pain meds wear off from my hip resurfacing and I'm crawling up the walls not being able to do any standing training, LOL!

Gonna drive my lady crazy teaching myself how to control that, Haha!

Love it!

Dude I am so doing that next month after the pain meds wear off from my hip resurfacing and I'm crawling up the walls not being able to do any standing training, LOL!

Gonna drive my lady crazy teaching myself how to control that, Haha!

Love it!
Haha yeah those are some cool drills right? Hope you feel better soon.

Rest a coin on the back of your hand. Flick it up and then snatch it out of the air. Add an extra coin for added difficulty

Rest a coin on the back of your hand. Flick it up and then snatch it out of the air. Add an extra coin for added difficulty

I've always liked this one. Work up to 3 coins for speed and precision.

Good stuff!

I know Sinister likes to have his guys play handball.

Good stuff!

I know Sinister likes to have his guys play handball.
Handball? Haha, cool.

Did you know that the Danes, more or less, invented modern handball? :D Fun fact.

Thank you for all your replies you have helped a lot. I've had to settle with a ball and string that i've put up on a door frame. Then I just try to jab it as fast as possible while still hitting with the right knuckles. Its going alright if I don say so myself.

Not tried the coin one yet but I'll see if it helps.

P.S I don't think there is a handball squad anywhere remotely round my area haha.

Hope you're doing a lot of training in your head. Vivid training in your head is proven to fire the same neurons and pathways as real movement. It's a great way to maintain coordination and skill.

There was a POW during the Vietnam war who spent several years in a small cell. Every day he played his favorite golf course. When he finally got home he played and shot as well as he did years earlier.

Your brain cannot tell the difference between something real and something vividly imagined. Try the old imagining biting a lemon trick. Your body will react like it's real. It's no different for physical activity.

Just want to help you maintain your skill while you heal.

Best of luck.
Thanks man going to pre op appointment....right after I get off Sherdog, LOL!

Surgery on the 27th.

I'm studying everything @MuayThaiHigh's broken down a hundred times while I'm limping around on crutches and making one of those practice balls.

Gotta fill that down time somehow!

Back