Final Fantasy Appreciation/General Discussion Thread

X and XIII were boring as fuck to me because you were basically glued to train tracks

I don't get the direction they took FFXIII in, after what was a well received re-invention of the franchise in FFXII. They went from breaking the series wide open, to as linear as fucking possible. I still don't get it.

I don't get the direction they took FFXIII in, after what was a well received re-invention of the franchise in FFXII. They went from breaking the series wide open, to as linear as fucking possible. I still don't get it.
Nobody really does. The creators basically fed a load of "only the North American fanbase thinks that", but then made 13-2 which was quite a bit more open, but still shit.

I wonder how sales would have been if all games were available across multiple consoles from the get go.

A lot of people did not have both a Playstation 2 and Xbox360. Much like the early days of "trading your Nintendo for a Sega" to a friend for a week, it split the audience.

12 sold 5.6 million. 13 sold 6.71 million, but was the first also available for Xbox360 as well as Playstation upon release. It definitely inflated the numbers. 13 and its sequels are a pile of shit, but sales are everything.

I wouldn't say 12 was all that well received. It did good numbers, FF games always do, but it seems to be around where FF8 is in terms of long term recognition.

That being said 13 looked like garbage to me, didn't buy it even when the price dropped super low.

I wouldn't say 12 was all that well received. It did good numbers, FF games always do, but it seems to be around where FF8 is in terms of long term recognition.

That being said 13 looked like garbage to me, didn't buy it even when the price dropped super low.

The combat was fun, it wasn't perfect but I would say they did a good job on it. But the game outside of combat was so laughably bad it's hard to even imagine who thought it would be a good idea. No towns, no exploration, no treasure, no real need to upgrade, just walk in a straight line, cut scene, straight line, cut scene, boss, cut scene, repeat. And that's it. It was total garbage. And the story was a lot of whining like always and it was just convoluted garbage. Good music, good combat, pretty good graphics, garbage everything else. I thought 10 got boring but 13 brings on a whole new level of suck.

The whole thing reminds me of the developer who made the Devil May Cry character have the same look and style of himself lol. Someone over at Square just wanted to masterbate to his own perceived genius. "They want gameplay? No, they will play MY VISION Muahahahahaha".

http://www.danbirlew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/dante-antoniades.jpg

The combat was fun, it wasn't perfect but I would say they did a good job on it. But the game outside of combat was so laughably bad it's hard to even imagine who thought it would be a good idea. No towns, no exploration, no treasure, no real need to upgrade, just walk in a straight line, cut scene, straight line, cut scene, boss, cut scene, repeat. And that's it. It was total garbage. And the story was a lot of whining like always and it was just convoluted garbage. Good music, good combat, pretty good graphics, garbage everything else. I thought 10 got boring but 13 brings on a whole new level of suck.

The whole thing reminds me of the developer who made the Devil May Cry character have the same look and style of himself lol. Someone over at Square just wanted to masterbate to his own perceived genius. "They want gameplay? No, they will play MY VISION Muahahahahaha".

http://www.danbirlew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/dante-antoniades.jpg

Yeah I had a friend that was into it, that would try to get me to play it. Watching him play it just looked like a lot of linear corridors. That's not FF to me

Just got FFVII on PS4 and man the nostalgia. Haven't played it in over 10 years and it takes me right back.

Just got FFVII on PS4 and man the nostalgia. Haven't played it in over 10 years and it takes me right back.

'Dat soundtrack...

Immediately hits you right in the nostalgia feels. I get goosebumps every time I start it up. The whole Midgar section is a game all by itself.

Turn random encounters off if you want a real challenge.

I never played the early FFs, but I bought IV and VI for Android. Let's see how I do.

I heard nothing but bad things about the android versions
I think a lot of that is due to the port not being quite as good as the originals. They might be pretty good if you've never played them on snes.

It's because they changed the art style and smeared Vaseline on the character sprites.

IMG_2096-900x450.jpg

It's because they changed the art style and smeared Vaseline on the character sprites.

IMG_2096-900x450.jpg

Yeah this is the same port that's on steam. Really wanted to play through ff4 and ff6 again, but not like that. Might have to figure out an emulator. There's no crono trigger on steam too which is insane.

Does anyone know when the soundtrack for XV will be released? Really liked the song in this video.

Last edited:
So the mobile port of FF9 has gotten nothing but praise so far but one thing that concerns me is it auto-saves after every screen transition.

I used to leave it until 5 or so sphere levels each then do it instead of doing it every time, was a pain in the ass.
Yeah. I was known (not really "known") for stacking up to about 9-11 spheres before touching the grid. That also made it so much more satisfying. Oh my attack went up 4, speed 2, learned a new attack etc all in one sphere grid session

Back