Final Fantasy Appreciation/General Discussion Thread

I never noticed.

Watch a lot of anime?

I can see that. If you're used to the angsty, whiny dub in a lot of anime shows, then Tidus' voice probably isn't that big of a deal.

When is the last time you played it? I didn't notice it much when I was younger, but going through it now, oh' yeah, it's brutal.

Watch a lot of anime?

I can see that. If you're used to the angsty, whiny dub in a lot of anime shows, then Tidus' voice probably isn't that big of a deal.

When is the last time you played it? I didn't notice it much when I was younger, but going through it now, oh' yeah, it's brutal.

Several years ago, and no on the anime.

Tides was a tragic character though.

And he was relatable because he was all alone in a world he didn't understand.

And you have to remember as far as he knew his father walked out on him and his mom. Nothing wrong with him being bitter.

10 was a lot of fun to play, to bad people get wrapped up on tidus.
The stranger in a strange land gimmick did not adhere him to me. Not when his character whines all game about Daddy issues. I actually empathized with his dad trying to toughen him up because he was such a wimp.

His dad disappearing was not what he disliked most about him. His flashbacks to being a kid while his dad kicked the blitzball at him to get him to toughen up because he was a bit of a wimp, and his "living in Daddy's shadow" because Jecht was an alpha male and Tidus a supreme Beta male who does not quite measure up.

At one point in the flashbacks, it flat out tells you he resented Jecht because Mommy wasn't paying attention to him while his dad was there.

I can't stand him. I see people complain that Squall was the king Emo of Final fantasy, but Squall was a quiet brooding fuck who...(emote)....nonstop, but at least he was a quiet brooding fuck as opposed to a cry out loud for attention sissy fuck.

Tidus to me is that annoying guy at work who whines about life not being fair non-stop instead of just sucking it up and bulling through hard times to make your own good times. Squall was just the quiet guy in the corner.

Auron was the guy I liked in that game.

Shame 10 was such a linear game. Good mechanics at times, but until late game, it is literally a straight line with little open freedom. That is my main complaint. 13 was incrementally worse after they hit a homerun with 12's freedom.

In fairness, there was a bit more to the daddy issues than Tidus just being a whiny little bitch, who wanted more attention. It's hinted at that Jehct's "toughening up" of Tidus was abuse brought on by horrible alcoholism. His dad was a selfish piece of shit, and Tidus had good reason to resent him. It's just the way he goes about it, and that voice....that fucking voice, that makes it hard to sympathize with him.

Auron was bad ass though. I like Lulu too.

The stranger in a strange land gimmick did not adhere him to me. Not when his character whines all game about Daddy issues. I actually empathized with his dad trying to toughen him up because he was such a wimp.

His dad disappearing was not what he disliked most about him. His flashbacks to being a kid while his dad kicked the blitzball at him to get him to toughen up because he was a bit of a wimp, and his "living in Daddy's shadow" because Jecht was an alpha male and Tidus a supreme Beta male who does not quite measure up.

At one point in the flashbacks, it flat out tells you he resented Jecht because Mommy wasn't paying attention to him while his dad was there.

I can't stand him. I see people complain that Squall was the king Emo of Final fantasy, but Squall was a quiet brooding fuck who...(emote)....nonstop, but at least he was a quiet brooding fuck as opposed to a cry out loud for attention sissy fuck.

Tidus to me is that annoying guy at work who whines about life not being fair non-stop instead of just sucking it up and bulling through hard times to make your own good times. Squall was just the quiet guy in the corner.

Auron was the guy I liked in that game.

Shame 10 was such a linear game. Good mechanics at times, but until late game, it is literally a straight line with little open freedom. That is my main complaint. 13 was incrementally worse after they hit a homerun with 12's freedom.

That would be his complaint because those are his only memories because his father was gone after that. And it was the hypocrisy of saying be tough then walking out on your responsibilities.

Fact is he loved his father, that's why it kept coming up.

And add to that he didn't get a chance to experience life and grow out of it, he was just a dream of the fayth.

In fairness, there was a bit more to the daddy issues than Tidus just being a whiny little bitch, who wanted more attention. It's hinted at that Jehct's "toughening up" of Tidus was abuse brought on by horrible alcoholism. His dad was a selfish piece of shit, and Tidus had good reason to resent him. It's just the way he goes about it, and that voice....that fucking voice, that makes it hard to sympathize with him.

Auron was bad ass though. I like Lulu too.
No doubt. But it does not change the fact that he is the visibly whiny guy at work that cries about his problems instead of getting over them and moving forward. He finally did at the end, but we were given a character who shrieks like a girl most of the game and apparently has since childhood. He is mostly a beta male and those kind of characters just don't appeal to me. If he were a secondary character and the game centered on Auron's quest to free Jecht, while Tidus' was flavoring it would have been better. Auron was at least a guy I could get behind.

Jecht's abuse of Tidus at its peak was kicking the blitzball at him when he was saying "No". Aww shucks.

Tidus might as well spend most of the game stomping his feet loudly like an angry girl and jumping up and down saying "Not fair, not fair!". In a fight, I'd picture him being the type to jump on your back and pull your hair.

Alpha male lead characters are always better than whiny beta's.

No doubt. But it does not change the fact that he is the visibly whiny guy at work that cries about his problems instead of getting over them and moving forward. He finally did at the end, but we were given a character who shrieks like a girl most of the game and apparently has since childhood. He is mostly a beta male and those kind of characters just don't appeal to me. If he were a secondary character and the game centered on Auron's quest to free Jecht, while Tidus' was flavoring it would have been better. Auron was at least a guy I could get behind.

Jecht's abuse of Tidus at its peak was kicking the blitzball at him when he was saying "No". Aww shucks.

Tidus might as well spend most of the game stomping his feet loudly like an angry girl and jumping up and down saying "Not fair, not fair!". In a fight, I'd picture him being the type to jump on your back and pull your hair.

Alpha male lead characters are always better than whiny beta's.

Japan gonna Japan.

For some reason, they like their male leads to be as feminine/emo/juvenile as possible. Just wait until the FFVII remake comes out with voice acting, and shatters your childhood.

Japan gonna Japan.

For some reason, they like their male leads to be as feminine/emo/juvenile as possible. Just wait until the FFVII remake comes out with voice acting, and shatters your childhood.

Japan gonna Japan.

Cloud's Japanese voice actor (Takahiro Sakurai) in Advent Children and various game appearances actually sounds pretty good.

Here's my ranking of my favorite FF games:

1. FF6 - best story, best character development, the mini puzzle games were great, too many useless characters, though. Locke was my favorite. Genji Glove + Master Scroll FTW!
2. FF5 - great story, the job class system rocks, why the developers decided to kill off Tellah, to be replaced by his granddaughter is beyond my comprehension
3. FF4 - You spoony bard! Enough said.

Everything else is eh...

Remember how awesome it was to get Cloud in Final Fantasy Tactics only to find out how much he sucks?

He wasn't that bad. But it sucked that he had to have the pre-requisite Materia blade in order for him to be anything better then mediocre. His Limit Breaks were only available with that and it was annoying to get with that Find Item command.

I was more disappointed with Mustadio. He was awesome in his AI form but pretty meh as a party member. Oh and you couldn't use Olan but Galaxy Stop was OP as fuck and would break the game more then TG Cid and Calculators combined. So it makes sense they would leave him out.

Beowulf was pretty bawse though but was convoluted as fuck to get him and his GF Dragon Reis back to human form.

Last edited:
Best battle system?

FFXII - I don't think this is a popular choice, but I loved the shit out of it. It made grinding fun, and they successfully got rid of the random encounters, and all of the enemies on the map really made the world feel alive. One knock against it though, would be the "auto battle" commands. Once you figured it out the right combination, the game basically played itself. I tried to use it as little as possible, but some bosses practically required it.

FFX - Might be favoring it because I'm playing it now, but I think it's the best system of the bunch. Being able to switch between all of your characters during a battle, and change weapons and armor on the fly were great innovations. Having access to all of your party members at one time also made it easier to level them all up together. I always hated that about past FF games, where you would spend so much time with one group, only to get thrown into a scenario where you have to use all of your characters, and half of them would be so under-powered that you'd have to grind them up. This system eliminates that shit. It also helps the story a bit too, with all of them being involved in the quest. Always thought it was funny how in past games you'd choose three or four characters for your main party, and the others would just chill at an inn or whatever, while you're out saving the world.

Love the old-school systems too, but they're all basically the same with some minor tweaks.

Worst one was easily FFXIII. I can't believe they made a trilogy of that shit heap.

FFXII had those sweet esper battles but fuck Cuchulainn The Impure. Probably one of the hardest side bosses I fought.

He wasn't that bad. But it sucked that he had to have the pre-requisite Materia blade in order for him to be anything better then mediocre. His Limit Breaks were only available with that and it was annoying to get with that Find Item command.

I was more disappointed with Mustadio. He was awesome in his AI form but pretty meh as a party member. Oh and you couldn't use Olan but Galaxy Stop was OP as fuck and would break the game more then TG Cid and Calculators combined. So it makes sense they would leave him out.

Beowulf was pretty bawse though but was convoluted as fuck to get him and his GF Dragon Reis back to human form.

Eh Olan was cool but just a gimped calculator honestly. Calcs break the game. Oh look their whole team is at prime height, ct x5, etc. Ok flare time gg enemy team

FFXII had those sweet esper battles but fuck Cuchulainn The Impure. Probably one of the hardest side bosses I fought.

Those were balls when you unexpectedly walked into a battle with them

I never found any of the Espers that hard. but was that the one in the sewers? With all the damn floodgates? Getting to him was annoying as fuck that's for sure.

Second fight with Gilgamesh caught me off guard. Loved the musical homage to 5 during. His difficulty ramped up the 2nd time.

Not as Hard as grinding out those Ninja Yagru Darkblade Swords from the Bombs in the same area lol.

i did about 30 hours in 12 before my save got erased and I said fuck it. What I remember most about that game is my roommate at the time would periodically walk by while I was playing, and it was always the same exchange "That looks boring as fuck, is it actually fun?" "No, not so far"

i did about 30 hours in 12 before my save got erased and I said fuck it. What I remember most about that game is my roommate at the time would periodically walk by while I was playing, and it was always the same exchange "That looks boring as fuck, is it actually fun?" "No, not so far"
The storyline was not compelling to me. but once the world opened up and some better hunts were available, I loved it.

Like most final fantasy games, it takes awhile to break out of the story to truly explore. Building super weapons, hunts, exploring the Zertinan caverns waaaay too early before you were ready for it, or the Barheim Passage the next time around, and going after secret espers.....that is the sort of thing that appeals to me.

That and challenge. But FF games have been lacking in challenge since 1, 2 and 3

X and XIII were boring as fuck to me because you were basically glued to train tracks.

X at least had some decent stuff near the end, and Jecht was actually a terrific final Boss(Yu Yevon doesn't count)
13 really had no redeeming qualities. 13-2 was much better, but still way behind. 13-3 was a glorified fetch quest all game.

Last edited:
Back