Film Genre Politics

Tarantino's movies were hits because they were made by him. And he kind of made them parodies. The original Django was amazing, the remake was just alright in my opinion. The Hateful Eight was straight garbage.

The best Westerns used to be minimalist, nihilistic and packed with masculinity. Maybe that's why they don't make em anymore. Same reason movies like Predator wont be made in this age.

The Dollars series was probably the best series of movies ever made. Sad that people can't seem to capture the same cinematic brilliance they did back in the 60's, especially since they were pretty cheap movies to make.
Yeah Tarantino could get away with making Westerns because he's a a star and he understands what made them great.

But unfortunately as I said, the era of Westerns is just gone. Sometimes the culture just shifts away from certain genres and conventions

I don't get superhero movies, nobody I know ever read comic books. They're were the stuff of geeks of the lowest kind. Now all of a sudden everybody is a fan of Batman or even some obscure superheroes like Deadpool or that slut with a baseball bat.
Comic book characters are present in other mediums and are a part of the culture in a deep way. I grew up on the Batman animated series of the 90s so I had a connection to the character without ever picking up a comic. And the MCU had an ingenious marketing plan; use films to market other films. And it paid off bigly. More generally, nerd culture became fashionable.

But I think the films are mostly overrated garbage.

New question.

What are your reasons for putting the Fantasy genre on the left?

I'm certainly open to the idea that I missed something. I really loved Inception and had high hopes for Nolan. BB was solid, and I liked the Prestige a lot. So I think there's talent in there.

I'm certainly open to the idea that I missed something. I really loved Inception and had high hopes for Nolan. BB was solid, and I liked the Prestige a lot. So I think there's talent in there.

I'm with you when it comes to TDK, but I think all the rest of the movies you listed are snore/eyeroll fests too.

Admittedly the fight scenes are complete garbage and Bale's Batman is abysmal. I could see those two things dragging down the film for someone. But like most people I just really liked The Joker as portrayed by Ledger. When rewatching the film I've also come to appreciate Gary Oldman's performance as Gordan. As a kid Gordan was one of my favorite Batman characters and Oldman does him justice.

are you crying?

american sniper? act of valor? lone survivor?

American Sniper is an interesting pick...

on my initial viewing, I dismissed this film as simple, Derp derp, American fu*k yea Propaganda...

however,....after my second viewing...I realized that this film had much more depth that I initially forwarded it.

The film isn't necessarily a "Pro America" film...this film is more about how war can ravage a man's soul....and how deeply it can affect someone....

Bradley Cooper's performance in this was very underrated.

Tarantino's movies were hits because they were made by him. And he kind of made them parodies. The original Django was amazing, the remake was just alright in my opinion. The Hateful Eight was straight garbage.

The best Westerns used to be minimalist, nihilistic and packed with masculinity. Maybe that's why they don't make em anymore. Same reason movies like Predator wont be made in this age.

The Dollars series was probably the best series of movies ever made. Sad that people can't seem to capture the same cinematic brilliance they did back in the 60's, especially since they were pretty cheap movies to make.

I'm probably the biggest Tarantino fan on Sherdog...

and yea...I was not fan at all...of Hateful 8. There were some beautiful shots...but this was probably his worst film.

Django Unchained, I give a solid B.

Another thing that is fascinating is if the horror genre is so right wing, then why does it bring in such a liberal audience?

I'm sure there are plenty of conservatives who like horror but I guarantee it's enjoyed more by liberals. (generalisation, but I think true)

Magnificent 7 ...the remake?

Django Unchained...

only 2 that come to mind...

prior to that was Open Range with Kevin Costner. which is grossly underrated.

True Grit and 310 to Yuma but those might be older than I think they are

Some people made a decent argument for horror being right but aside from that, I think genres aren't inherently beholden to either side. Any genre can serve to critique the other side and thus represent one.

Robert A. Heinlein was a fascist. He wrote starship troopers and created the scifi concept of "power armor" and space marine, prevalent in Starcraft, Fallout, Doom and Warhammer 40k.

No he wasn't. His political views moved around a lot over his life. Despite the authoritarian nature of Starship Troopers (and his love of the military), he explicitly started out as a counter-culture, leftist "new dealer" (evident in Stranger in a Strange Land) and shifted towards libertarianism with the John Birch Society and Barry Goldwater (spelt out in The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress. You could accuse Goldwater and JBS of fascist tendencies, but that wasn't what Heinlein was attracted to and wrote about).

I'm with you when it comes to TDK, but I think all the rest of the movies you listed are snore/eyeroll fests too.

Oh, shit. Just re-read my post. I meant to say that I really loved Memento. I did NOT like Inception.

Martin Scorcese's Silence about Catholic Missionaries being tortured in Japan was a really good movie.

Oh, shit. Just re-read my post. I meant to say that I really loved Memento. I did NOT like Inception.

My primary issue with Inception was that the movie seemed more impressed by it's own premise than I was. While watching I felt like the movie itself was sitting right next to me, and every time something "dramatic" or "epic" happened it pointed at the screen and yelled "Man, that was awesome! I'm such a great movie!" into my ear.

If a movie actually wants to convey a high-level concept in an intelligent manner, it needs subtlety and grace. Inception had that as much as a drunk elephant would've, and among the blockbusters of the modern era it's not exactly alone in that regard. Trying to "Wow" the viewer into submission with over the top-ness is such a blight on film making.

True Grit and 310 to Yuma but those might be older than I think they are
Not old enough to exclude them as examples of the Western genre not being dead. It's certainly past it's prime, but not gone completely.

Back