Fights to Make After UFC 299

Man, Gaethje and Poirier have recieved so many fucking title shots, enough is enough. I need to see a four fight win streak at least before I'd like to see them fight for the belt again. Book Chandler versus Islam, it's going to be fun. But I love these posts Dennis Siver.

let's call it brawler privilege lol

Dustin Poirier vs Islam Makhachev (c)

As a Dustin fan, I say - Oh fuck no.

He's my favorite fighter and great grapplers are his kryptonite, and its not far from the truth that he got lucky AF last night. As exhausted as Dustin got, getting up from the ground and landing those KO shots were like a game-winning Hail Mary.

That frenchie made mistakes that Islam wouldn't.

Maryna Moroz vs. Brogan Walker - Loser leaves UFC
Joanne Wood - Enjoy Retirement
CJ Vergara vs. Azat Maksum - It maybe a case that CJ has to move up on missing weight again. If he doesn't I like this fight.
Asu Almabayev vs. Jesús Santos Aguilar - Solid debut for Almabayev. I like this bout as his next venture. A win in this could then earn him a name opponent.
Josh Parisian - Cut - He's not getting another fight.
Robelis Despaigne vs. Waldo Cortes-Acosta - Good showing for Robelis. With his age I don't think he can be built slowly. A win over a heavyweight on a win streak should get him a ranked opponent.
Michal Oleksiejczuk vs. Roman Kopylov - Two strikers who have been finished as of late. Good rebound for both men.
Michel Pereira vs. Gregory Rodrigues - This fight promises carnage. Winner of it gets a top ten opponent.
Ion Cutelaba vs. Modestas Bukauskas - Think this fight makes sense for both men coming off tough losses.
Phillipe Lins vs. Dominick Reyes or Vitor Petrino - Lins has earned a ranked opponent. Give him either the #14 or #15 of the division.
Pedro Munhoz vs. Ricky Simon - Loser falls out the top fifteen. Must win for both
Kyler Phillips vs. Dominick Cruz - Great showing for Phillips. I would be interested to see how his movement style goes against a fighter who also uses that style.
Rafael dos Anjos vs. Benoît Saint-Denis - Both of these men fought well tonight before being defeated. I'd like to see this fight.
Mateusz Gamrot vs. Dustin Poirier - Two lightweight contenders who overcome rough starts to pick up wins albeit in different fashion. This could be a title eliminator.
Katlyn Cerminara vs. Tracy Cortez - Tough loss for Katlyn who is now on a two fight losing streak. I think her next fight should be against the unbeaten Cortez who is on the rise.
Maycee Barber vs. Jéssica Andrade - Both women coming off impressive wins. Potential title eliminator clash.
Jailton Almeida vs. Serghei Spivac - Two grapplers coming off stoppage losses
Curtis Blaydes vs. Tom Aspinall II - It's far from ideal. But with Jon hurt and Stipe not fighting. Plus Pavlovich and Gane coming off losses. I can see Blaydes being next in line.
Song Yadong vs. Marlon Vera II - Both men came up short tonight. They had a fun fight last time they clashed. Let them have at it again.
Petr Yan vs. Umar Nurmagomedov - Good win for Yan tonight. Umar nearly fought a top contender previously and is coming off a win. I'm not against this.
Gilbert Burns vs. Geoff Neal - Must win for both to stay in the top ten.
Jack Della Maddalena vs. Shavkat Rakhmonov - I'm all in on this fight. Jack called for it so let's do this.
Kevin Holland vs. Rinat Fakhretdinov - Kevin did not look good tonight. If he loses this he's out of the top fifteen.
Michael Page vs. Stephen Thompson - It may not make sense in the rankings but we know this needs to happen soon.
Sean O'Malley vs. Merab Dvalishvilli - Great win for Sean tonight. Merab earned his shot. Let's do this

As a Dustin fan, I say - Oh fuck no.

He's my favorite fighter and great grapplers are his kryptonite, and its not far from the truth that he got lucky AF last night. As exhausted as Dustin got, getting up from the ground and landing those KO shots were like a game-winning Hail Mary.

That frenchie made mistakes that Islam wouldn't.
Yeah agreed I like DP and he is still very good but no way he beats Islam. Give someone else a shot. Was impressed by DP last night thought he was gonna lose that one.

Sean O'Malley vs Merab Dvalishvili - You need champions fighting clear number 1 contenders. After Vera and Covington have been dominated, the UFC has to come back to number 1 contenders fighting for the titles. The same goes for the double champs. Don't try to sell us that Joe Rogan, we don't want that

Chito Vera vs Petr Yan - I think Vera is roughly top 10 in the BW and was #15 not that long ago and should fight guys like Jonathan Martinez but Petr Yan called him out and the matchup seems good for both fighters, especially given that they lost to the current champ so no need to rush them to title contention

Dustin Poirier vs Charles Oliveira 2 - The first fight was good and he will not fight another up-and-comer. The fan favorite Charles Oliveira could be a great opponent, especially if he loses to Tsarukyan

Benoit Saint Denis vs Dan Hooker in Paris - IMO, he looked good but slightly dumb vs Poirier. The warrior should work on his striking defense and fight another all-out fighter like Dan Hooker. It could be the main event or co-main

MVP vs Wonderboy - this fight has to be made as soon as possible. Main event of an FN, maybe in the UK. By the way, I don't know why MVP does not have a flag by his name but a gray globe

Kevin Holland vs Michel Morales - He didn't like to fight wrestlers, now he's pissed at counter strikers. Let him fight a strong brawler and it will help build Morales' name and awareness in the MMA audience

Giacomo Della Maddalena vs Shavkat Rakhmonov - He wants the fight. That's ballsy and it could make sense. When is the next card in Australia?

Gilbert Burns vs Sean Brady - Brady wrestle-fucked Gastelum but struggled vs Belal. Both are good grapplers and lost to Belal. It could be a great test to see what Brady could do against an elite grappler

Song Yadong vs Dominick Cruz - Dominick Cruz vs Team Alpha Male has to continue

Blaydes vs Aspinall 2 in Manchester in July - There is only Gane and Blaydes to fight Aspinall. Gane refused the fight last year while Blaydes and Aspinall already have a history. However, I think it's an easy fight for Aspinall who seems crisper standing and more mobile on the grappling side. Funny if Blaydes gets a TS after a fight where he had been dominated

Almeida vs Spivach - Spivach needs a fight. Winner of Tybura vs Tuivasa could be an alternative if it's Tybura but I don't want to see him lay on a fighter that cannot grapple

Maycee Barber vs winner of Fiorot vs Blanchfield - She is ranked high and didn't look decisive. Her striking is weird in terms of distance and her grappling seems limited. The clinch could not be enough vs Blanchfield and her distance management could be a bit too easy for Fiorot

Chookagian vs Lipski - Good striking match-up

Gamrot vs Jalin Turner - He trains with Poirier and Tsarukyan. He is not enough flashy or enough dominant to jump the line and fight Makhachev. Gaethje and Oliveira might refuse. He already fought Fiziev and Dariush. He could try to match him with a tall striker in a pure striker vs grappler fight and test Jalin Turner vs the elite

Rafael Dos Anjos vs Paddy Pimblett - I think the UFC will try to have Pimblett fight a ranked opponent in Manchester. It could be RDA. An alternative could be Grant Dawson but maybe a little bit too close to Gamrot

Kyler Phillips vs Rob Font - Rob Font lost lots of fights and is now the gatekeeper to the top 10

Pedro Munhoz vs Farid Basharat - Mario Batista is from the same gym as Phillips and I am not interested in Munhoz vs Ricky Simon. Pedro should fight a rising unranked fighter. Let's see Basharat to avoid having someone with similar style as Phillips

Filipe Lins vs Murzakanov - who pulls out the faster?
Ion Cutelaba vs Jimmy Crute - I expect it to be a tune-up fight for Crute
Michel Pereira vs loser of Craig vs Borralho - He needs to fight someone ranked
Michal Oleksiejczuk vs Abusupiyan Magomedov
Robelis Despaigne vs Derrick Lewis - Just book it before Lewis retires and we ask ourselves why this fight never happened
Josh Parisian cut
Asu Almabayev vs David Dvorak who is 0-3 and should fight unranked prospects, in a European or Middle Eastern card
CJ Vergara moves up and fights Carlos Vera. The loser leaves the UFC
Jojo Calderwood retired
Moroz vs Petrovic in a European card

By the way, Dustin, Arman, and Gamrot are teammates. Same for Curtis and Pereira

Back