Fights between top 5 lb for lb fighters

done85hot

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
fights between two fighters that were ranked in the top 5 lb for lb before their match
Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor - 1990
Felix Trinidad vs. Oscar De La Hoya - 1999
James Toney vs. Roy Jones Jr. - 1994
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao - 2015
Sergey Kovalev vs. Andre Ward - 2016

can you guys help me out by listing more

Last edited:
Where were Mosley and Marquez ranked when Floyd fought them?

Hatton was #6 in Ring magazine.

Where were Mosley and Marquez ranked when Floyd fought them?

Hatton was #6 in Ring magazine.

Mosley was #3 when Mayweather fought him. Marquez moved down to #5 by the end of 2009, but in October 2009 he may have been higher. I'm pretty sure both Hopkins and Winky were top 5 when they fought each other. Pacquiao and Marquez would have both been top 5 in 3 of their 4 meetings, I believe. Calzaghe and Hopkins were both top 5, as well. McGirt and Whitaker were top 5 when they fought each other the first time.

Mosley was #3 when Mayweather fought him. Marquez moved down to #5 by the end of 2009, but in October 2009 he may have been higher. I'm pretty sure both Hopkins and Winky were top 5 when they fought each other. Pacquiao and Marquez would have both been top 5 in 3 of their 4 meetings, I believe. Calzaghe and Hopkins were both top 5, as well. McGirt and Whitaker were top 5 when they fought each other the first time.
I thought Mosley was up there but wasn't sure. He shot up there after he rolled over Tony.

Duran-Leonard X2, Leonard-Hearns, Hagler-Hearns, De La Hoya-Whitaker, and Mosley-De La Hoya are a few more.

How far does this go back? Obviously there is no official P4P list, but Frazier-Ali 1 would probably be the highest ranked fighters ever to face each other, you'd have to say they were tied for the #1 spot and it was as 50-50 as you could get.

How far does this go back? Obviously there is no official P4P list, but Frazier-Ali 1 would probably be the highest ranked fighters ever to face each other, you'd have to say they were tied for the #1 spot and it was as 50-50 as you could get.

I've never seen a published top 10 pound-for-pound list before 1980 myself, although I have ran across a few "pound for pound best fighter" polls that the AP used to conduct going back to the early 1930's when the "pound for pound" term first started to become used with some frequency by the sports writers of the day. It was used before that with fighters on occasion (earliest reference I saw was with Fitzsimmons right after he lost to Jeffries), but it was around the days of Kid Chocolate, Tony Canzoneri, Barney Ross, Jimmy McLarnin, etc., when the term became more commonly used. If going back that far then fights like Canzoneri-Chocolate, Ross-Canzoneri, Ross-McLarnin, Armstrong-Ross, etc., would fit the bill of both fighters being considered top 5.

Pac - Marquez II and III, Hopkins - Calzaghe, Whitaker - McGirt, Norris - Taylor

Last edited:
Pac - Marquez II and III, Hopkins - Calzaghe, Whitaker - McGirt, Norris - Taylor

Was Calzaghe Top 5 P4P? I don't remember, all i know is he didn't sniff my Top 5

Was Calzaghe Top 5 P4P? I don't remember, all i know is he didn't sniff my Top 5

It's certainly questionable. But I think he was in semi-official stuff, tough.

With Loma-Rigo finalized for December 9th, it'll be the next Top 5 P4P fight according to The Ring's ratings. Loma is currently #4 and Rigo is #5. https://www.ringtv.com/ratings/?weightclass=251

Raise da roof !

200.gif

Back