Fightmetric for GSP - Hendricks

Fight Metric doesn't mean shit.

GSP's power shots are nowhere near as damaging as Hendrick's power shots.

Hypothetically speaking, GSP could land 100 weak ass strikes in the fight and Hendricks could land 90 bombs in the fight. Does that mean GSP was more impressive? No. 90 powerful strikes > 100 weak strikes.

The point is that Fight Metric is a flawed system. It doesn't take into account the difference in power, damage, aggression, etc.

hope this ends 10000 threads about Hendricks winning

Fightmetric scored the fight for Hendricks.

Specifically, rounds 1, 2, and 4.

What anybody with 2 eyes and a brain between them has been saying.

fightmetric has become a joke

You can laugh all you want and stomp like a three year old but you can't change the facts.

Anyone that saw the fight and really think GSP won is not a fan of the sport.

Stats mean absolutely nothing in this kind of fight and everyone knows it.

GSP had his moments but in three of those rounds he was put into worse positions or seriously hurt.

If you land 1 more "strike" due to a grazing jab but are wobbled repeatedly and knocked down, that jab didn't win the round for you to anyone that has the benefit of cognizance.

Hendricks landed the much more powerful strikes and controlled the fight with his wrestling. There's a reason fights are judged visually and not by statistics.

and fights are scored by rounds

just causeyou land 100 bombs in one round doesnt mean you win the fight

I love hearing people flip flopping on Fight Metric depending on who they thought won. It's a decent analytical tool and usually shows what the majority of people watching thought.

In this case: it showed a very close fight that should have gone to JH. That's pretty much what I saw. People forget that each round needs to be scored as a discrete unit. JH won his rounds by a wider margin than GSP, but GSP still won rounds.

lol @ the people who actually changed their opinion because of this

you dont believe your eyes ? you believe this shit more then your actual brain ?

Your actual brain tends to be biased and easily influenced and different brains have different criteria for what scores in a fight. So you said very little just now.

Good thing MMA isn't like baseball where statistics are the core part of the sport.

This is a fighting sport. When one opponent looks like he got run over by a car and other looks like he just got back from a light jog, it's not rocket science to tell who won. GSP did not really land any power shots the entire fight and nearly got himself knocked out.

FightMetric statistics are AT LEAST as biased and useless as the judging in Nevada is. For instance, do you really believe that a solid straight left from Hendricks is merely equivalent to a similar right hand from GSP? I think not.

yep, ty for the fightmetrics. gsp had more strikes landed, had full octagon control from beginnin to end. i based his win off those 2 alone, completely forgot he had 2 sub attempts in there too. gsp won.

LOL at gsp landing only 2 less significant strikes in rnd 2

The same round where he went wobbly,

the same round where he got fucked up pretty hard

crum laughs at your fightmetric

Serious question:

Do you actually understand the difference between numerical statistics and overall damage?

No, seriously. We all really need to know if you get the distinction.

While you're pondering that, I have a question for you. Can you imagine two guys standing in front of each other, and each of them hitting the other guy one time? If you score that in terms of strikes landed, it's 1-1, even if one of the guys was wobbled by the punch and the other wasn't.

Please reply when you've thought this through a bit.

mad rednecks up in here

You should be mad at your golden boy, he just stood with GSP for 25 minutes and didn't knock him down once.

GSP lost tonight and his fans will cling onto anything for comfort, many even going as far as to put up scores like 4/1 GSP or just simply say "GSP won, deal with it". hilarious really

well we have a new WW champion anyway. Would of been nice for it to be official and for Hendricks to have a belt but he won, he showed he is championship calibre over 5 rounds and will probably be significantly better in his next fights.

Those stats prove that the fight could've gone either way...just like watching the fight proved.

People on here take the word "robbery" and go absolutely bananas with it. The fight was extremely close.

It's dependent on context, amigo. And let's not forget the angles from which the fight is scored by the judges.

I'm a huge GSP mark and I had it 48-48. But I got to see it all on a big TV with lots of commentary that probably nudged me more toward Hendricks than GSP. (That's not a complaint, by the way. Rogan thought Johny won the fight and I can see how a reasonable person might think that.)

Bottom line is that no system scores a fight the same way that the judges at ringside do.

Maybe it's time to hook those suckers up with some Google Glass.

Your actual brain tends to be biased and easily influenced and different brains have different criteria for what scores in a fight. So you said very little just now.

Either you think Fightmetric numbers are created by magic and fairies or you said very little just now.

Because I'm pretty sure people enter those numbers so "significant" strikes are 100% subjective.

Back