Fighting tips for Southpaw (Boxing)

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
Can you guys share any tips for a Southpaw, fighting an orthodox opponent in Boxing?
We all know the basics, like your lead foot should be outside of his lead foot.

Post here.

this is a pretty rare situation and it shows when southies fight orthodox guys. there just aren't enough orthies out there so the angle off can throw off southies when a gym might have 9 southies and one orthodox guy. I am an northie and its a pain going to a gym and having the coach trying to say i should just switch southie for convenience of the gym.

this is a pretty rare situation and it shows when southies fight orthodox guys. there just aren't enough orthies out there so the angle off can throw off southies when a gym might have 9 southies and one orthodox guy. I am an northie and its a pain going to a gym and having the coach trying to say i should just switch southie for convenience of the gym.
Why would a gym have more southpaws than orthodox?

I'm not a boxer (and everyday I wake up, I praise the lord for that), but since I fought lots of times as a SP, and I've done some training in Boxing as a SP, I will give my 2 cents.
But others will give a lot more better advice.

We all know the basics, like your lead foot should be outside of his lead foot.
Post here.

It's not an obligation, it's just an advantage you can have if you know why.

Anyway, for basic strikes I think learning to counter the jab with a rear straight is a must. Lead hook check is also nice to have.

Learn and understand your foot work, and if you're a fast mover, learn to disappear on their left side. Learn why and how to move counterclockwise. If you find your self with the foot inside theirs, just use your front hand. Jabs and lead hooks.
Train how to pivot quickly when they take your right side, train how to pivot and what combos you like when you take their left side.

Disrupt their jab with yours. Either its a distance finder or a regular one, just annoy it by mirroring it. When they get used to jab on jab, counter it with rear straights.

Learn the right uppercut. My SP friend beats the hell out of ne because he has way better righ uppercut than I have a left one.

Jab cross uppercut cross is an amazing combo. I actually realized that against my SP friend who uses this combo against me often and likes to mix it up. It can easily start with a hook and get a body cross somewhere there.

But yeah man that right uppercut combined with a good cross is something that beats the heck out of me.

<{walkerwhut}>

Back