fighting how your built

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im a ww fighter 6 foot 1 my wing span is 75 but i have super wide shoulders my boxing coach since 2009 has had me fight with range but i always come up short vs good guys and have to counter more once day i got a few friends to measure jab to chins standing straight and i notice my reach is crap lol

alot of guys at 5 foot 7 had my reach even when i got down to there height and stuck my arm out shoulder to fist i dont have a long arm at all its pretty bad i hate how they measure reach by wingspan cause on paper im suppose to have a great reach

Im a ww fighter 6 foot 1 my wing span is 75 but i have super wide shoulders my boxing coach since 2009 has had me fight with range but i always come up short vs good guys and have to counter more once day i got a few friends to measure jab to chins standing straight and i notice my reach is crap lol

alot of guys at 5 foot 7 had my reach even when i got down to there height and stuck my arm out shoulder to fist i dont have a long arm at all its pretty bad i hate how they measure reach by wingspan cause on paper im suppose to have a great reach

you measured chin to chin, down at their level, thats not taking into consideration that they will have to punch up and you are punching down. This will shorten their reach, and give you and advantage.

Kick more ;)

you measured chin to chin, down at their level, thats not taking into consideration that they will have to punch up and you are punching down. This will shorten their reach, and give you and advantage.

Kick more ;)

yeah but ill be fighting guys my size though i have more of a boxing base that i like to use to set up my takedowns

yeah but ill be fighting guys my size though i have more of a boxing base that i like to use to set up my takedowns

pretty tuff to say without watching you fight, also didnt know it was mma. Maybe your more of a ground fighter than? For myself, I am/was primarily a knee fighter. I knew this and for the last like 2 years had really been focusing on improving my outside game, which it has. Were only as strong as our weakest link, who cares about your reach dude. So you have short arms, oh well, learn how to slip and counter and stuff than. I would suggest talking with your coach about it.

i'm also a relatively tall boxer and people are always surprised the i don't fight further out. i am using the reach, but to punch further through the target. i am punching at maximum force when they are just on the end of the punches. for this reason i tend to win exchanges and beat them to the punch with the counter right. i enjoy sparring people that punch out of range, just because you pressure them. this makes it easier to open up with the right.

this is me sparring with a friend of mine, he is a good MMA fighter with a handfull of MMA fights. He is also much taller than me and has a huge reach on me. Hes about 6'2" i believe. Because he trains MMA rather than muay thai, and croushes (mma) rather than fight tall (muay thai) it takes alot of his reach away. i dunno if you do this as well, but it might be something to consider.

this is me sparring with a friend of mine, he is a good MMA fighter with a handfull of MMA fights. He is also much taller than me and has a huge reach on me. Hes about 6'2" i believe. Because he trains MMA rather than muay thai, and croushes (mma) rather than fight tall (muay thai) it takes alot of his reach away. i dunno if you do this as well, but it might be something to consider.

luv the gym. no room for running there.

Looks like you're fucked.
<Fedor23>
Be dynamic? Maybe you will have to be more balanced with your infighting and outfighting capabilities. Since you're not comfortable with either(from the sounds of it).

Last edited:
Don't fight how you are built-- it is who you are and always remember you are a beautiful bro regardless

Kicking is great as a wrestler; if he want's to stop you that means he'll either have to grapple you, or start standing more square to block with his own raised leg, which opens up you grappling him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back