Fighters Who just Shut you up/proved you wrong

logistix

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm talking about fighters that you gave them no chance to win,
or fighters that you just can't wait to see them get KTFO/SUB but just shut you up.

For me, just a couple that I can think of now

1) Kid Yamamoto vs Genki Sudo - not discrediting Yamamoto, but I was pretty sure Genki would win

2) Brian Bowles vs Miguel Torres - absolutely shocked at this one

3) Fabricio Werdum vs Fedor Emelianenko - Also shocked, although in hindsight seemed kind of careless of Fedor to escape an attempt and just go right into it again.

and little more recently...

4) Conor Mcgregor vs Eddie Alvarez - I really thought Eddie would win by decision, but was completely utterly raped instead. I was really looking forward to see Conor's sad face again (just like when he got choked by Nate), but man did he shut me up with that flawless performance.

5) Cody Garbrandt vs Dominick Cruz - I really thought Cody would swing at air all night long, but what a fight and what a performance. Was also looking forward to see young Cody get humbled by Cruz, but also got shut up.

Garbrandt vs Cruz. Even though garbrandt is a douchebag

For Sherdog as a collective, a majority of Conor's fights. It's ironic because the first Diaz fight is really the only one that everyone unanimously agreed that Conor would win. And he lost that one. Then in the second fight it was like, "he has no way of winning, he will retire by the end of the year."

Bisping vs Salt-hold.

Before that fight I always referred to Mike as the "Gatekeeper of Gatekeepers".

Teh Count socked Luke AND myself straight in the mouf and shut us the F up.

giphy.gif

Didn't shut ME up since I was already a fan, and still hasn't managed to shut up a lot of his doubters (as recent and soon-to-come threads will testify)...but i love this quote from Stipe Miocic too much to let pass the opportunity to post it:

"“No one ever thought I’d be the champ and look where I’m at now. I’ll keep shutting people up and that’s what I love doing. I love it. I strive off it. I get high off of it. I want you to tell me how bad I suck and how I’m going to get knocked out and how I’ve been lucky my whole career. That’s fine. All day. I’ll take it and I’ll keep shutting you up and pissing you off and then onto the next.”

http://www.mmamania.com/2017/2/21/1...-you-remind-him-he-sucks-will-get-knocked-out

Bisping vs Salt-hold.

Before that fight I always referred to Mike as the "Gatekeeper of Gatekeepers".

Teh Count socked Luke AND myself straight in the mouf and shut us the F up.

giphy.gif
I never imagined him as being champ. I now believe anything is possible in mma.

Conor proved me wrong 3 times.
Mendes
Aldo
Diaz 2

All of them.On bet365,bwin,will.hill,betfred,...all of them,all the time.every fucking weekend.

Garbrandt vs Cruz. Even though garbrandt is a douchebag

This....I made all sorts of wild claims that Cruz was going to beat this fatherless prick in embarrassing fashion. Stayed off sherdog for a couple days after. I didn't want to read or answer the over 100 replies mocking me.

Cody vs Cruz was a recent one. I always thought that Cody was legit but didn't think that he could dominate Cruz like he did.

Conor vs Alvarez too. I don't like the guy but that was a great performance by Conor.

Jones X Machida

Especially after the first round, I thought Machida was going to tko him by the 3rd.

Also correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but I think boys chin got exposed to ( ). I believe he was planted when Jones caught Machida with the punch that dropped him. Jones isn't known as a power puncher.

Pretty much most of Carlos Condits earlier fights. The guy cost me cash a couple of times in his fights at the beginning of his career.

I don't run my mouth much, so I wasn't "shut up" but I was very surprised when Overeem KO'd JDS. I was certain JDS was going to KO Overeem.

Dos Anjos vs. Cerrone - I thought Dos Anjos' win over Dunham was a robbery and looked forward to his getting comeuppance from Cerrone.
Dos Anjos vs. Pettis
Rua vs. Machida - Rua got his shot coming off wins over faded greats (and had to stun Mark Coleman with an illegal blow before he could TKO him). Machida had looked unbeatable.
Like many posting here, I expected McGregor to lose to Mendes, Aldo and Alvarez but beat Diaz.
Is Holm vs. Rousey too obvious to mention?

Mir vs Big Nog (the first fight). I was convinced Nog would beat him having very few losses on his record and Mir not looking amazing prior to that since his motorbike injury.

Chuck Liddell vs Rampage 2. Although I knew Rampage was a tough fight from seeing their first fight, Chuck was on top of the world and Rampage's last fight was a win over Marvin Eastman where he didn't look that spectacular. Rampage even commented about being fed to the wolves too early in his UFC career which made me have even more confidence in Chuck.

Back