Fighters who have the skills but still lose first or second rounds in world events

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I sparred this dude yesterday who is 18 and already a seasoned TKD fighter. Tagged him with a hook kick actually but mostly just kicking and blocking in our sparring.

What I don't get when I feel his kicks (very powerful, fast, and technical) and his speedy footwork, (never in range for me to punch him) why he is still trapped in mediocrity and constantly loses first or second round?

Have you guys experienced these paradoxes who have it all technically yet don't make it as fighters?

He is not mentally weak or anything like that. I don't get why he doesn't do better?

I sparred this dude yesterday who is 18 and already a seasoned TKD fighter. Tagged him with a hook kick actually but mostly just kicking and blocking in our sparring.

What I don't get when I feel his kicks (very powerful, fast, and technical) and his speedy footwork, (never in range for me to punch him) why he is still trapped in mediocrity and constantly loses first or second round?

Have you guys experienced these paradoxes who have it all technically yet don't make it as fighters?

He is not mentally weak or anything like that. I don't get why he doesn't do better?
Perhaps he's reading patterns.

He loses first or second round in kata as well. Has won only national events with very few participants

I Guess he gets disqualified or points deducted too often in
Sparring. He kicked a dudes mouth piece off once and lost a national championship for it.

I have seen guys at world events and there's no way he's worse

Uh, maybe you're bad at recognizing talent? I mean, it takes skill to know skill.

I'm not really familiar with karate rules so can someone explain to me how many rounds their are in competition?

And to answer your question @dudeguyman probably has the most likely accurate answer. He is probably reading your patterns, so are you doing an obvious pattern? Explain what your doing in the sparring.

He kicked a dudes mouth piece off once and lost a national championship for it.

Sounds like some stupid fucking rules if you ask me. He should get style points for that one...

Have you guys experienced these paradoxes

There are all kinds of paradoxes I encounter while reading your posts.

Reminds me of this "European Karate Championship" that a gym in our small town always does.
Back then it was one gym from London versus their gym to determine the European champion in Enshin Karate<Lmaoo>

I don't really know dude. If you have the skills you're going to whoop ass and that's that.

He loses first or second round in kata as well. Has won only national events with very few participants

I Guess he gets disqualified or points deducted too often in
Sparring. He kicked a dudes mouth piece off once and lost a national championship for it.

Kick a guy's mouthpiece out as in, you kick so hard the mouthpiece flies out?

Kick a guy's mouthpiece out as in, you kick so hard the mouthpiece flies out?

No, they don't cut their toe nails for months then they use them to hook the opponent's mouthpiece out with a well timed kick to the face...........he knocked it out instead, so he lost on style points........true story....

No, they don't cut their toe nails for months then they use them to hook the opponent's mouthpiece out with a well timed kick to the face...........he knocked it out instead, so he lost on style points........true story....

Toenail fish-hooks - hate when that happens!

No but in seriousness I find getting penalised for the other guy's mouthpiece flying out...odd...

Toenail fish-hooks - hate when that happens!

No but in seriousness I find getting penalised for the other guy's mouthpiece flying out...odd...

It was in Sweden. Judges are pussies over there. In fairness though, he doesn't seem to hold back. Very technical still..Never any blind rage. He's a great sparring partner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back