Fighters who had overrated punching power and were exposed

A fighters' power is only overrated by fans. The fighters aren't exposed. Their fans' had opinions are exposed.
That said:

Conor hits hard. Ask Eddie or Aldo.

Rumble hits damned hard - look what he did to Gus, who has taken clean shots from some hard hitters.

Ngannou hits very hard. That's why Stipe fought the way he did when they faced each other.

Cutelaba

kbZyVBpn3hzos.gif

There's nothing that casuals overrate more in fighting than "power". They see some new up and coming guy knock out few guys in a row and already go on and on about his supposed "power" that could KO anybody and see these guys as elite based on their power alone.

Then when these supposed power punchers face a solid opponent with a solid chin and defense, it turns out that their power wasn't anything special.

Francis Ngannou is a great example of that. They made him out to be some monster power puncher and even brought up some punching machine stats in the UFC institute. He knocked out two notoriously chinny guys and was suddenly the favorite against the HW champ Stipe Miočić based on his punching power alone, despite displaying obvious flaws in technique and never having his grappling and cardio tested.

When he finally fought Stipe his power turned out to be nothing special, he connected on Stipe few times but it didn't have much effect at all.

Any similar examples of fighters whose punching power was massively overrated?
Actually Ngannou has scary power, Stipe has a hell of a chin and he didn't get hit 100% clean

Is it fair to list Rumble here?

He had legit power but the casuals and some hardcores made him out to be some killer puncher that destroys everyone he touches.

I think he was the favorite going in the second DC fight despite losing the first encounter.

DC took his best shots like nothing and choked him out. Twice. Rumble then quit the sport.
Yeah but no human in the world destroys everyone he touches, not even Tyson did it turned out.

Disguised Ngannou hate thread. The guy obviously packs a tremendous punch. Same with Rumble.

About 99.99% of the roster. The vast majority of knockouts in MMA happen due to fighters having poor defense technique, unlike in boxing

Because they have more shit to worry about like takedowns

Good call.

People legitimately thought he had a "touch of death" and punched harder than elite boxers and could KO Floyd in 1 round.

Then when he fought Floyd it turned out that under boxing standards he punches like a wuss. Floyd was literally laughing at Conor's girly punches that probably felt like tickling. He even asked him "when will you show me your power?" in between rounds.
Anyone with half a brain knew Conor isn't some monster power puncher.
He has good pop in his punches and is very accurate and precise.

The 4 oz gloves help his style a lot

How could I forgot Bethe "The KO Artist" Correia... Rogan hyped her as the female version of Julian Jackson before the Ronda fight.
What ronda did to davis a very durable & strong chinned fighter is what really sparked the ko power conversations

No fighters power is overrated if they knock out fighters "chin or no chin" clean & this thread is stupid

Actually Ngannou has scary power, Stipe has a hell of a chin and he didn't get hit 100% clean

i think mark hunt hits harder.
anyway ... lets say ngannou hits a bit harder --> hunts power + technique >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ngannous power.

I hate to say Dan Hardy..I really wanted him to be champ lol at least the buffalo wings were good

Cyborg? They hyped her as some killer but she couldn't put Holm away despite hitting her flush with several right hands over a 5 round fight. She has underrated technique though.

Ngannou's cardio and wrestling were "exposed" (not really, since many expected this). His punching power was not.

Back