Fighters who fight plan the best

FireKidWS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know this like every other thread has propably been done before, but am curious your guys thoughts.

If I had to name the top 4 off the top of my head I’d say:

DC, Cruz, MM and TJ

But I don’t reallt know if that’s fair to some fighters who plan well but don’t have the same extremely high talent level as the above guys

Who would you guys say are the best fight planners?

GSP is the GOAT at fight preparation for an opponent

As of now I think TJ has really done well with the mental aspect of fighting. He seems to always game plan really well. Of course your game plan always looks good when you are one of the greatest fighters on Earth Haha.
On the opposite end, my guy Justin Gaethje could really benefit from a better game plan

I know this like every other thread has propably been done before, but am curious your guys thoughts.

If I had to name the top 4 off the top of my head I’d say:

DC, Cruz, MM and TJ

But I don’t reallt know if that’s fair to some fighters who plan well but don’t have the same extremely high talent level as the above guys

Who would you guys say are the best fight planners?
Like Bas would say: "U Grappler? Him Striker? Take him down!"

lolol.png

Tribute to the OG Marco Huas:

"If My opponent likes to strike, I take him down. If he likes to grapple, I keep punching and kicking him."

On other side, how many Cowboy type are there?
I don't watch any film, don't know anything about him

Fedor before he fell in love with his striking was a really good strategist. I remember when he spent one fight in Nogueira's guard, so in the rematch Nogueira had obviously trained for that and Fedor used his take down defense to keep the fight standing. I think that was the first real mind fuck I saw in MMA. Fedor beating up Crocop standing before eventually taking him down, proving he was superior everywhere was psychologically crushing to Mirko I think.

In his prime?
His gameplanning was always terrible; grapple with Nog. Strike with Cro Cop. He was just so good that it didn't matter.

Same with Jones. He in-fights with Glover. Grapples with DC. People think he's some tactical genius. He's dumb as fuck gameplanning -- though his ring IQ is actually some of the best I've ever seen -- but he's just that good and it's going to cost him just like it cost Fedor when he's slightly out of his prime.

Fedor's terrible gameplanning was why he started losing when he did. Jump into Werdum's guard. Bang with Hendo. He should/ could have still won those fights.

GSP is a guy with great fight planning.

His gameplanning was always terrible; grapple with Nog. Strike with Cro Cop. He was just so good that it didn't matter.

Same with Jones. He in-fights with Glover. Grapples with DC. People think he's some tactical genius. He's dumb as fuck gameplanning -- though his ring IQ is actually some of the best I've ever seen -- but he's just that good and it's going to cost him just like it cost Fedor when he's slightly out of his prime.

Fedor's terrible gameplanning was why he started losing when he did. Jump into Werdum's guard. Bang with Hendo. He should/ could have still won those fights.

Fedor fought in Nog's guard the first fight but not the rematch which was great game planning. It threw Nogueira off both times. Striking with Crocop also threw Crocop off his game. All 3 of those fights had a psychological element to them which was key to Fedor winning. I agree with you about Jones fighting inside with Glover, that shit was just dumb. Fedor's game planning wasn't the reason he lost to Werdum he just got over zealous in the heat of the moment. GSP's game plan is the same every fight, if they're a grappler strike with them and if they're a striker take them down, he just takes the easiest path to victory every time which is why his fights are always lopsided decisions with very little resistance.

One of the keys to applying a successful gameplan is to catch your opponent off guard and to surprise him. Fedor didn't just simply "strike with Crocop". He applied constant pressure to negate the space Crocop needed to land significant strikes and then took Crocop down when he tried. NOBODY expected Fedor to pressure Crocop standing and it worked brilliantly. Fedor also didn't simply just "grapple" with Nog. Nog notoriously had a "loose" guard (to bait opponents) and Fedor capitalized on the space to drill Nog's head through the mat. Nog also didn't have takedown defense which Fedor capitalized on. Fedor wasn't playing the submission game with Nog. It was strike >>takedown>>gnp>>stand and repeat. A perfect gameplan to defeat Nogs style.

Couture was one of the greatest game planned this sport has seen. Master strategist.

Woodley's had success sticking to some game plans and so has Bisping

overachievers tend to plan well

Worst game planners... Roy Nelson, Justin Gaethje, Carlos Condit, Diego Sanchez hahahaha

Georges St-Pierre... his team is comprised of the best minds in every discipline.

He beat so many guys at their strengths... It's insane legendary!

Cruz, GSP, Randy, Josh Barnett, Frankie Edgar, Justin Gaethje(sike), hate to say it but Conor's pretty good at game-planning too.

I thought all fight plans go out in the window in the first couple seconds of the fight

In his prime?

I don't think Fedor had the best fight plan tbh he engages people everywhere and beats them because he was just faster and had better fundamentals.

GSP is someone who plans meticulously

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back