Fighters that you simply can't appreciate skillwise

I’m not a huge GSP fan, but I think he does a lot more to break his opponents than Cruz.

So I have some appreciation for GSP’s style and interest in his fights.
I have zero interest in watching Cruz “fight”.

Thread getting slowly derailed. :D
We should be talking fighters that seem great, are widely accepted as great but deep down you can't feel that they are what everyone else claims they are.

As an actual fan of MMA, an increasing rarity it seems, I appreciate skill without exception or caveat.

Only idiots don't.

I’m not a huge GSP fan, but I think he does a lot more to break his opponents than Cruz.

So I have some appreciation for GSP’s style and interest in his fights.
I have zero interest in watching Cruz “fight”.
For me it's the other way around. I think cruzs footwork is a thing of beauty and the unique style is pretty impressive even tho he's not a finished in a traditional sense. Gsp is wayy to boring for my taste and I come from a grappling base myself.

Hendo,vitor, Shogun,Fedor,cro
Cop, wandy, rampage all juiced up overrated bums who fought by swinging haymakers and hoping they landed first.

Lawler, Romero, Ortega (despite enjoying his fights, I just don't think much of his skillset, yet I'm always shocked when he gets the finished.)

I don't really know how else to say it so i hope you get my meaning. There are fighters that are considered great (overall or in one area) but you simply can't see it, even though you want to. You don't hate them, you might even enjoy their fights or some of them but you simply can't see that "something" everyone is talking about.

For me Stephen Thompson, Santiago Ponzinibbio and Dominic Cruz are prime examples of this. I know they are good fighters but i can't see what is THAT great about them. There are probably more but these guys come to mind easily for me.

Any fighters that fit this description for you? Also, feel free to talk about the ones mentioned above, why they might come off like this and what should i look for to change my mind.

Cain!

Always injured!

Jeremy Stephens.

I don't know why, really. I just don't like to watch him.
He's a cool guy personality-wise though.
It's quite the opposite for me lol. He's a fun guy to watch but seems like an asshole, not a fan really.

Never really been a fan of the reem. I get why ppl like him but they must have dealt w alot of dissapointment in life. Its like anytime he beats some over the hill fighter,as long as he doesnt lose,his fans are like "title shot!"

I'll be honest, I was expecting a post like this straight off the bat. That it took until the third page to show up is heartwarming to this Stipe fan. The times they are a-changin'...
He's a meat and potatoes fighter really. Very basic yet very effective. he's a complete mma fighter tho. Good wrestling, good striking. Stipe's reign goes to show the lack of technique at hw.

Rin Nakai.... actually i can see what everyone else sees, but it's got fuck all to do with fighting
She isnt that good but geez miesha should have put her away. Shes just way too small for 135...but shes too muscular to go lower lol

He's a meat and potatoes fighter really. Very basic yet very effective. he's a complete mma fighter tho. Good wrestling, good striking. Stipe's reign goes to show the lack of technique at hw.

"Meat and potatoes" can make for a sublime (and expensive!) meal at a fine steakhouse, though. Quality of flesh and skill in preparation counts for a lot! :D.

Last edited:
Joanna. I never liked her fights, she is just a point fighter that goes to 5 round point fighting decisions. Everyone seemed to be making out like she was some killer and amazing fighter, but for me all I saw was dragged out point fighting 5 rounders. I didn't enjoy any of it until she was tapping out too punches from Rose, and then it was more enjoyable.

Gsp, fitch, and askren. And others with the same style of fighting.

Back