Fighters that you simply can't appreciate skillwise

Mighty mouse. I know he's exceptional but i just cantc see past his stature, i find it so distracting and confusing.

I don't really know how else to say it so i hope you get my meaning. There are fighters that are considered great (overall or in one area) but you simply can't see it, even though you want to. You don't hate them, you might even enjoy their fights or some of them but you simply can't see that "something" everyone is talking about.

For me Stephen Thompson, Santiago Ponzinibbio and Dominic Cruz are prime examples of this. I know they are good fighters but i can't see what is THAT great about them. There are probably more but these guys come to mind easily for me.

Any fighters that fit this description for you? Also, feel free to talk about the ones mentioned above, why they might come off like this and what should i look for to change my mind.

jones.. its basically just a huge reach advantage

I can't appreciate TS sherdogging skills

Anderson, i think most of his skills were ped driven to start off with.
Add Jones in front of him. Jones went from getting beat by Matthew Riddle to an undefeated UFC champ and The GOAT. He benefitted from PED's more than (c)Anderson

Cruz without a doubt.

People talk about his great footwork, yet the reality is he just randomly shuffles around without any real thought or reason behind the footwork. And his punching technique is like throwing a handbag, atrocious. The fact that he's an atg bw says more about his level of opposition that it does him.

FreshHeftyAmericancurl-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

EX4Z45C.gif

His footwork isn't really any better than this, but his opponents are generally too crap to punish him for it.

aosECR9.gif

GSP, Wonderboy, Cruz, Mighty Mouse, Guida, Diaz brothers.

One common thing that is not appreciated about the majority of responses here is the cardio edge that each of these guys brings into their fights.

I think what you're "not seeing" is them being able to fight closer to 100% of their abilities for a much longer period than their opponents, and not having to pace themselves. I don't think any of these guys have ever gotten tired first in a fight(unless they were fighting one of the other guys obviously).

Robin Black, I know he was a great Musician and a great fight, just never saw or heard what made him so unbelievable.

I don't really know how else to say it so i hope you get my meaning. There are fighters that are considered great (overall or in one area) but you simply can't see it, even though you want to. You don't hate them, you might even enjoy their fights or some of them but you simply can't see that "something" everyone is talking about.

For me Stephen Thompson, Santiago Ponzinibbio and Dominic Cruz are prime examples of this. I know they are good fighters but i can't see what is THAT great about them. There are probably more but these guys come to mind easily for me.

Any fighters that fit this description for you? Also, feel free to talk about the ones mentioned above, why they might come off like this and what should i look for to change my mind.

Tito Ortiz...... The only notable good thing I can say is that he could inflict a good bit of damage on some fighters from the guard.... Other than that he really did not stand out skillwise for a guy that was a champion with many defenses.

Cruz without a doubt.

People talk about his great footwork, yet the reality is he just randomly shuffles around without any real thought or reason behind the footwork. And his punching technique is like throwing a handbag, atrocious. The fact that he's an atg bw says more about his level of opposition that it does him.

FreshHeftyAmericancurl-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

EX4Z45C.gif

His footwork isn't really any better than this, but his opponents are generally too crap to punish him for it.

aosECR9.gif
cruz was better before his injuries to be fair, and Cody is very good himself

Cyborg. I know she's talented but she needs to shed 10 pounds.

Clay Guida. I don't see how judges award him points for getting on top and flailing like he is having a seizure. His movements can barely be considered "striking" and against most opponents seem to cause zero damage whatsoever. It's almost like he is trying to LOOK like he is punching rather than really trying to land. As if he was punching in a movie or WWE.

And yet still he has beaten some very talented fighters with this frustrating strategy.

Blaydes.. Im not sold on him atm but maybe he rounds out and becomes something

I'll tell you what Stephen Thompson and Dominik Cruz do that make them great with a simple analogy:
To be successful in anything in life, you have to put yourself in the position to be successful.

The fight game works the same way.
Stephen Thompson and Dominik Cruz LITERALLY do that in the stand up. They position themselves with their footwork so that they have an easy target, and so that their opponents dont have an easy target. Positioning is everything.

TS, when you watch fights, dont only look at the strikes that are being thrown. The transitions in the standup (and the ground) are more important then anything.

Back