Fighters that you simply can't appreciate skillwise

Derrick Lewis

He has A LOT more skill than most people give him credit for, but his obnoxious image and fighting style just makes me refuse to accept it lol.

My baby faithful i'm goin deep

In that case I suggest watching his fights with your eyes open.
That's challenging: his style makes me sleepy.

I like fighters that always go for the finish. Point fighting makes MMA look like Olympic Tae Kwon Do, it butchers the spirit of MMA.

Awesome to see Machida in prime fights from the outside. When in scrambles, he loses everything.

Ngannou, Mike Perry. Gotta be more if I sat and thought about it.

Eddie Alvarez. I dont know hes a allrounder-wrestlerboxer-brawler with nothing special. I like the Cormier wrestler-boxer style much more, because he can box well and wrestle very good.

Tony Ferguson partly. I like his crazy babarian style (one of my favorite fighters) but what me bothers is that he won his biggest fights with a questionmark. Eyepoked RDA, illegal upkick against Barboza and won against a gassed out Kevin Lee after he got full mounted in the first round.

Maia, overrated AF
He struggles getting anything done on the ground besides holding people down. He is given huge windows of boredom stalemates without being stood up. Way more than others are allowed and still can't get a finish with hooks in and back control round after round.

I don't really know how else to say it so i hope you get my meaning. There are fighters that are considered great (overall or in one area) but you simply can't see it, even though you want to. You don't hate them, you might even enjoy their fights or some of them but you simply can't see that "something" everyone is talking about.

For me Stephen Thompson, Santiago Ponzinibbio and Dominic Cruz are prime examples of this. I know they are good fighters but i can't see what is THAT great about them. There are probably more but these guys come to mind easily for me.

Any fighters that fit this description for you? Also, feel free to talk about the ones mentioned above, why they might come off like this and what should i look for to change my mind.
GSP king of L n Pray. Greg Jackson: "Take him down!, do not attempt to pass mount!"

Stipe, can't see it, but the fucker wins fights

I'll be honest, I was expecting a post like this straight off the bat. That it took until the third page to show up is heartwarming to this Stipe fan. The times they are a-changin'...

Back