Fighters that you simply can't appreciate skillwise

WarDronx

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I don't really know how else to say it so i hope you get my meaning. There are fighters that are considered great (overall or in one area) but you simply can't see it, even though you want to. You don't hate them, you might even enjoy their fights or some of them but you simply can't see that "something" everyone is talking about.

For me Stephen Thompson, Santiago Ponzinibbio and Dominic Cruz are prime examples of this. I know they are good fighters but i can't see what is THAT great about them. There are probably more but these guys come to mind easily for me.

Any fighters that fit this description for you? Also, feel free to talk about the ones mentioned above, why they might come off like this and what should i look for to change my mind.

what is it about wonderboy and cruz that makes you doubt what's great about them? they are arguable top 20 P4P fighters that have been in some wars the last few years

Anderson, i think most of his skills were ped driven to start off with.

Woodley and Thompson are very good fighters, and yet I don't want to watch any of their fights.

Bendo

What happened to the Serra "fuck-em" emoji?

Tony Ferg always takes a beating before he wears people out with his chin. Hell, even Kikuno schooled him standing for the first minute and landed huge shots. Once that chin is gone, so is he. Let the shitstorm begin, lol

Out of those dudes TS mentioned, I can appreciate the skill of Wonderboy and Cruz, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. I think it's just more of a style or personal preference thing. Don't even get me started on Eyepoke McGee...

Anderson, i think most of his skills were ped driven to start off with.

You honestly think ridiculously pinpoint accurate striking (Andersons best skill) is PED driven? Jesus Christ man.

Everyone is/was on roids. Doesn't diminish what he did. Why didn't sauced-to-the-gills Bonnar, Sonnen, Vitor, and Henderson beat him (just to name a few, most of his opponents used PEDs) if all it takes to be good is PEDs?

You honestly think ridiculously pinpoint accurate striking (Andersons best skill) is PED driven? Jesus Christ man.

Everyone is/was on roids. Doesn't diminish what he did. Why didn't sauced-to-the-gills Bonnar, Sonnen, Vitor, and Henderson beat him (just to name a few, most of his opponents used PEDs) if all it takes to be good is PEDs?

I think he's just saying it makes it hard to appreciate his skills. No one is denying the fact that he is skilled.

what is it about wonderboy and cruz that makes you doubt what's great about them? they are arguable top 20 P4P fighters that have been in some wars the last few years
I really don't know and it's a shame. I simply can't appreciate them as much. Maybe their style? Cruz is considered one of the BW greats and Thompson has proven he was/is a contender but... I can't figure it out.

Great addition

Out of those dudes TS mentioned, I can appreciate the skill of Wonderboy and Cruz, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. I think it's just more of a style or personal preference thing. Don't even get me started on Eyepoke McGee...

Probably this about Thompson and Cruz. Eyepoke McGee?

I really don't know and it's a shame. I simply can't appreciate them as much. Maybe their style? Cruz is considered one of the BW greats and Thompson has proven he was/is a contender but... I can't figure it out.

Great addition

Probably this about Thompson and Cruz. Eyepoke McGee?

Ponzinibbio.

Gunnar-Nelson-Eye-gouge.png

I don't really know how else to say it so i hope you get my meaning. There are fighters that are considered great (overall or in one area) but you simply can't see it, even though you want to. You don't hate them, you might even enjoy their fights or some of them but you simply can't see that "something" everyone is talking about.

For me Stephen Thompson, Santiago Ponzinibbio and Dominic Cruz are prime examples of this. I know they are good fighters but i can't see what is THAT great about them. There are probably more but these guys come to mind easily for me.

Any fighters that fit this description for you? Also, feel free to talk about the ones mentioned above, why they might come off like this and what should i look for to change my mind.
People keep writing about Artem Lobov being the GOAT on here....what do they see that I don't?

*holds chin, scratches head*

Rockhold could have the skills of Anderson, GSP, Jones, Fedor, Mike Tyson, Bat Man and Chuck Norris....I'd still hate him for his personality<{clintugh}>

Rin Nakai.... actually i can see what everyone else sees, but it's got fuck all to do with fighting

Back