Fighters need to work language into their contracts to prevent the UFC from giving interim titles

Woodley has been out for 8 months and defended 4 times in 12 months prior. All against the top contendors at that.

It's a slap to the face and a devaluing of your title when they can hand out additional ones without rythme or reason and to give it to two fighters who aren't obviously overdue a shot makes it all the more ridiculous.

I think language to further protect champs against this stuff is something we will see in the future.

I think ridiculous is to have a champion who will be out for a year and complain about it.

IMO the cutoff should be one year and we get an interim champion, so the division can keep moving. Unless, of course, if the champion have already a fight scheduled (beyond the one year).

Pretty sure they all have the same contract at core which will enable the ufc to basically do what they like because they can.

The ufc have the power in this one.

I'm pretty sure the UFC insists on having language in agreements that allows them to do that.

I’m really thinking this leak is just to make a point to Woodley. Really just to say if your trying to sit out and holding out for a money fight/not fight a contender then this is what we’ll do to either make you or have a reason to strip you. Showing him it’s no about his brand, it’s about theirs

One day after winning the title from Robbie Lawler, Woodley called out Nick Diaz and GSP, both retired fighters, despite Woodley himself complaining about the rankings not meaning anything when he was coming up in the Welterweight division.

I examined the timeline and origins of "The Woodley Hate" in this thread here, if you want more information on how Woodley turned the fans against him with his words and decisions, and not his skin color, check it out.
People started going Woodley because he got the TS over WB.

Then people got their jimmies rustled because Woodley was calling WB's fans racist. People didn't take kindly to this despite the fact many of WB's fans called him all types of derogatory things over social media. This all includes the ducking WB allegations where Woodley explained he knew he and WB knew within a week of winning the title but the UFC wanted to keep everything hush, hush for the New York card and didn't want any fights slipping until they could announce it when they wanted too. WB kept up the act that Woodley was ducking him and the already rustled fans ate it up.

Then people got mad at Woodley for say the UFC was under promoting him. They basically wrote him off as cannon fodder for WB and had WB come out with the flag despite Woodley being a US citizen.

This is just for starters. I could keep going on....

Just rename interim titles to the more appropriate intercontinental titles and everyone is happy.

“Fighters should” lol... I’m completely confused as to why one thinks the fighters can say anything. This is a monopoly. You don’t sign it you sit on the sidelines, get bad matchups in far away places, or get cut. There hasn’t been a guy who gets to negotiate much more than pay, and even that is relegated to only the top 10% (top 10).

Shut up OP! I heard they're giving out interim belts to the first 1000 people at every event and you're not stopping me from getting one.

Back