Fighters need to work language into their contracts to prevent the UFC from giving interim titles

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Meathead Jock, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

Meathead Jock
    Woodley has been out for 8 months and defended 4 times in 12 months prior. All against the top contendors at that.

It's a slap to the face and a devaluing of your title when they can hand out additional ones without rythme or reason and to give it to two fighters who aren't obviously overdue a shot makes it all the more ridiculous.

I think language to further protect champs against this stuff is something we will see in the future.

2. Zefram Cochrane Red belt in warp theory and practice.

Zefram Cochrane
    I'm fine with it. As long as they also work language into their contracts that prevents them from calling out Nate Diaz as a challenger for a title defense. It's a slap to the face and a devaluing of their title.

3. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Aegon Spengler
    Fighters want money. They don’t care about toy belts.

4. Unheralded Truth Blue Belt

Unheralded Truth
    When you're on top you can't afford to sit out on fights.

Specially not when you just broke the record for least number of punches landed in a UFC fight. In a fucking title fight!

One MMA Fan, cmw43 and Sonny Qc like this.
  5. DLX Athletic and Explosive Belt

DLX
    I don't care at this point. If this is what's gonna get people to fight, then let'm bang, bro.

Aegon Spengler, TDD and elwoood11 like this.
  6. Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

Meathead Jock
    No arguement about that, but the sports pay structure is in need of being remodeled over the fact you have champions wanting fights against Nate because it will pay them more money even though it is the easier fight.

Not sure of the exact answer but when you fix the pay system, I think we will get less ridiculous call outs.

Aegon Spengler and TDD like this.
  7. BoD 2.0 Brown Belt

BoD 2.0
    Interim titles are good for fighters. Allows them to make more money.

reddhelium likes this.
  8. Jackonfire Senior Moderator

Jackonfire
    Woodley had planned to return in June/July anyway and the UFC makes this interim match for May.

Totally ridiculous.

9. Kumason MMA freak!

Kumason
    These interims are ridiculous for sure,but he does only have 4 fights in over 3 years not that that should have anything to do with whether there's an interim or not,there just shouldn't be one.For me it's kind of odd though he's often called the most active champ when he's super inactive minus a year of good activity.4 fights in over 3 years is pathetic.I don't really have a point but the 4 fights in 12 months thing is misleading considering the time that surrounds that.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  10. Bend NvR Break Standing still is actually moving back

Bend NvR Break
    He didn't call out Nate. He was offered Nate from the UFC (one of their attorneys if you listen to DW) and he just jumped on the opportunity.

To him it was an easy fight, another title defense and another paycheck.

11. Spacelord13 Switchin to Glide

Spacelord13
    He sat on his ass for a year and a half until he got his shot. He’s been angling for a money fight since then. It’s going to be at least a year in between defences. The division was stagnant at the top. Nobody wanted to risk fighting and losing a possible TS. It’s only since word of the interim title leaked out that these guys are signing for fights again.

It’s not an insult to Woodley. That’s just wrong. It’s keeping the division moving forward.

He’s still the champion.

12. TDD Orange Belt

TDD
    No Interim Champion is considered the real Champion its a Number 1 Contender Fight just with more assurance that you will get the shot. The only might be Whitaker taking out one after another while Bisping was ducking real Contenders. As a fan i want the interim Titles because its the only way to see top ranked 1 to 3 fight when there is no belt around fighting.

13. SuperNerd Playoff Mode.

SuperNerd
    It's the UFC's title.

I don't see how the fighters can have any weight in this matter, but tell me why I'm wrong.

14. Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

Meathead Jock
    Some good points but part of that inactivity was due to Hendricks pulling out of a number 1 contendor fight and Dana saying that T-Wood would be fighting for the title next.

Woodley wasnt an obvious case to be given a title shot but the boss said it and he got lucky his 'sit out' to cash in on it didn't backfire. I'm less bothered by inactivity from defenders than champs though.

15. Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

Meathead Jock
    I get the point but just call them "Guranteed next title shot" to the winner.

One MMA Fan likes this.
  16. acannxr Green Belt

acannxr
    One day after winning the title from Robbie Lawler, Woodley called out Nick Diaz and GSP, both retired fighters, despite Woodley himself complaining about the rankings not meaning anything when he was coming up in the Welterweight division.

I examined the timeline and origins of "The Woodley Hate" in this thread here, if you want more information on how Woodley turned the fans against him with his words and decisions, and not his skin color, check it out.

One MMA Fan likes this.
  17. Meathead Jock WAR ASKREN

Meathead Jock
    Obviously they can't have any say in it currently which is why I'd advise fighters to try and get it worked into their deals so they can have a say.

Creating additional champs at your division takes the focus off of the real champions. I'd assume at this rate the champion perks of finding endorsement deals outside of the cage will become even harder when companies can just endorse whichever champion has the most twitter followers at a weight class.

18. SuperNerd Playoff Mode.

SuperNerd
    Why would they have any right to have a say? UFC isn't going to hand over booking/promotional powers to fighters, and not for nothing.

I can't fathom how this process starts or gets done.

That's never going to change. Companies are always going to favor the more popular fighter/individual when it comes to promotion.

19. TDD Orange Belt

TDD
    Should be yes but its not like anyone considers them champs and it gives them champ money dont see the downside to this.

20. quantiqus Purple Belt

quantiqus
    Woodley only defended twice and retained once. He nevee defended 4 times.