Fighters from other combat sports who have crossed over into Boxing

A fair number of Thai guys got the fundamentals of the sweet science and then dominated Muay Thai. Vitali was a kickboxer then a boxer.

With Vitali (both brothers, I think) the lines are a little blurred. I'm fairly sure they both trained boxing since they were kids, but also trained kickboxing. Vitali competed at a high level in kickboxing before boxing, though.

Matt Skelton. Fought Hoost in the K1 gp final in 2000 iirc and fought Anthony Joshua two years ago

This Matt Skelton guy sounds old, I can't believe he fought a relevant heavyweight boxer in Anthony Joshua not too long ago given the fact that he fought Ernesto Hoost in 2000.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree as I believe that yes while MMA fighters do train MT and kickboxing they put a lot more emphasis on the boxing element because 80% of what they'll be throwing in the cage will be punches. There are many fighters who barely throw a single kick in a whole fight but name me one that doesn't throw a single punch?
I'd agree that you get some high level kickboxers in MMA but certainly not MT fighters. Name me one ex-MT champ who competes in MMA. It's a shame really that the Thais don't get into MMA as then we'd really get to see some high level MT for a change as opposed to Matt Brown level MT.

Check out ONE FC, they're based out of Singapore and hold shows all over asia. The interesting thing about them is they showcase a lot of fighters with different backgrounds associated with Asian martials arts. I've seen a couple of Muay Thai guys who crossed over there and they look phenomenal on the feet.

Check out ONE FC, they're based out of Singapore and hold shows all over asia. The interesting thing about them is they showcase a lot of fighters with different backgrounds associated with Asian martials arts. I've seen a couple of Muay Thai guys who crossed over there and they look phenomenal on the feet.
Yeah I've seen a couple. Yodsanan and Dejardmong I think.

This Matt Skelton guy sounds old, I can't believe he fought a relevant heavyweight boxer in Anthony Joshua not too long ago given the fact that he fought Ernesto Hoost in 2000.
Matt Skelton was old and way past his prime when he got obliterated by AJ. He used to be really resilient but I guess he lost that with age, pretty crude fighter who just tended to bulldoze forward.

Alexander Ustinov is another kickboxer that is doing very good in boxing lately.

He was scheduled to fight Tyson Fury and Luis Ortiz, but both fights fell off.
Those are big fights.

Back