Fighters from Dagestan seem to do really well in the UFC, on average...

Isn't the place basically the national equivalent of a D1 NCAA team? Makes sense they'd do well.
Well yes, but in freestyle. There is a lot more talent that have a better chance in the worlds and olympics/euros etc, than in the USA to freestyle. There are too much of them though, so many of the high level wrestlers don't get the chance to represent Russia.

I just said the top 10 at LW. That’s simple.

(C) Conor McGregor: 90% (9-1)

1) Tony Ferguson: 93% (13-1)
2) Khabib Nurmagomodov: 100% (8-0)
3) Eddie Alvarez: 57% (4-2-1)
4) Edson Barboza: 80% (16-4)
5) Justin Gaethje: 50% (1-1)
6) Nate Diaz: 61% (14-9)
7) Dustin Poirier: 74% (14-4-1)
8) Kevin Lee: 75% (9-3)
9) Michael Chiesa: 70% (7-3)
10) Michael Johnson: 53% (9-8)

71% average for top 10 (excluding Champ - 80% including)

Based off UFC's ranking system, with all percentages rounded to nearest whole number.

It's because they fight bears as children.

(C) Conor McGregor: 90% (9-1)

1) Tony Ferguson: 93% (13-1)
2) Khabib Nurmagomodov: 100% (8-0)
3) Eddie Alvarez: 57% (4-2-1)
4) Edson Barboza: 80% (16-4)
5) Justin Gaethje: 50% (1-1)
6) Nate Diaz: 61% (14-9)
7) Dustin Poirier: 74% (14-4-1)
8) Kevin Lee: 75% (9-3)
9) Michael Chiesa: 70% (7-3)
10) Michael Johnson: 53% (9-8)

71% average for top 10 (excluding Champ - 80% including)

Based off UFC's ranking system, with all percentages rounded to nearest whole number.

So exactly the same as the Dageatani average, thanks for proving my point that UFC fighters mostly have wins.

So exactly the same as the Dageatani average, thanks for proving my point that UFC fighters mostly have wins.
That's only the top ten....

What Dagestani fighters had losing records? Who was cut?

I think it is obvious that the majority of Dagestanis are successful in the Octagon.

That's only the top ten....

What Dagestani fighters had losing records? Who was cut?

I think it is obvious that the majority of Dagestanis are successful in the Octagon.

They don't get the opportunities I feel they should. Everyone fighting on Fight Pass, rarely even on FS1. Mairbek (who's not Dagestani but Chechen/Austrian) isn't even being given a ranked opponent, nor is Rustam, despite being on 5 fight winstreaks each.

Its a problem with UFC as a whole, they just don't promote their fighters right. For a star driven org, its absurd how they don't promote their potential stars. How are fans even supposed to know who they are if they've never seen them fight? The Russian fighters seem to get the worst of it. Meanwhile they have a fooking bum like Artem Bumov as a headliner!

I made a list of all of the fighters in the UFC, that I could think of, from that region and decided to compile the UFC records of these fighters. Please let me know if I am missing anyone (I know that I am).

Shamil Abdurakhimov (3-2)
Ruslan Magomedov (3-0)
Gadzhimurad Antigulov (2-0)
Omari Akhmedov (5-3)
Ramazan Emeev (1-0)
Sultan Aliev (1-1)
Muslim Salikhov (0-1)
Rustam Khabilov (8-2)
Khabib Nurmagomedov (8-0)
Islam Makhachev (3-1)
Magomed Mustafaev (2-1)
Zabit Magomedsharipov (2-0)

For a win percentage of 77.6%. It's definitely weighted problematically with Khabilov and Khabib, but if you remove them that still leaves a winning percentage of about 71%. I know that this is a totally meaningless thread but it'll be interested to see how a lot of these guys end up doing long-term.

Hey genius that is not any higher than the average win % in the UFC of the average active UFC fighter. Horrible thread.

Hey genius that is not any higher than the average win % in the UFC of the average active UFC fighter. Horrible thread.
Forget about win percentage.

Look at all those guys with good records.

No Dagestanis are getting cut for losing too much.

It is a small area with a tradition of combat sports and all of their fighters seem to be successful in the UFC.

Average record of all UFC fighters you say? People who lose get cut you say? Well, where are the Dagestanis getting cut?

They seem pretty damn successful to me.

This might very well be a horrible thread but it's not for the reason that you are claiming. The average UFC record, of UFC fighters, definitely isn't an 80+% win percentage.

Yeah, that's totally fair. Can you think of a fighter from Dagestan who has been cut from the UFC due to a losing record/poor performance?
I can remember Azamat Gashimov, Gasan Umalatov (but I think he was born and raised outside of Dagestan), Ali Bagautinov (fight out his contract and UFC didn't offer him a new one).
Also from your list you are missing Safarov.

5 undefeated in the UFC Degastani's.

9 undefeated or only bested once from that region.

Thats pretty scary considering a handful of them are pretty young.

Russia is tough, but dagestan is tough part of russia.
Yeah, they're in combat sports since childhood, wrestling, boxing, in gym and outside. There'd be even more of them i guess, ufc is their national sport now.

They don't get the opportunities I feel they should. Everyone fighting on Fight Pass, rarely even on FS1. Mairbek (who's not Dagestani but Chechen/Austrian) isn't even being given a ranked opponent, nor is Rustam, despite being on 5 fight winstreaks each.

Its a problem with UFC as a whole, they just don't promote their fighters right. For a star driven org, its absurd how they don't promote their potential stars. How are fans even supposed to know who they are if they've never seen them fight? The Russian fighters seem to get the worst of it. Meanwhile they have a fooking bum like Artem Bumov as a headliner!
Maybe they think they do it for Russian fans. If you wanna watch FP prelims you can just watch them around 1-2 hours in the morning. And if you wanna watch main card - in Russia you need to stay (at average) until 4-5 in the morning. I think at LW guys like Prazeres, Leonardo Santos has like an indentical winstreaks (and I can't remember last time they fought a ranked guy), Trinaldo had a longer winstreak (if I'm not wrong) when they gave him a ranked guy.
About Mairbek - not so long ago there were news that he was kicked from an Austrian org that prevent Muslim kids from joining terrorists (because on his Instagram he posts photos with Kadyrov and seems like people from that org doesn't think that Kadyrov is much better than terrorists). So it's kinda hard to promote him. If you look at Lobov - worked as a Russian commentator for UFC, friend of McGregor, known in Russia, I think he commentated some fights for EFN/FNG and they (TV crew) talked to him/made an interview with him between fights at EFN/FNG events + I think he was on mma related TV show or made predictions before some mma events.

I have the impression MMA became some kind of national sport over there, escpecially with Kadyrov promoting it.
They have a high level infrastructure, they have the know how (or import it) and a lot of talents/people trying to escape from their poor existence with fighting.

There are a lot of big promotions like ACB,Akhmat,M-1,FNG there giving a lot of young fighters the oppurtinity to show theirs skills (a lot of fighters are probably better than half of the UFC rooster)Also all of this promotions have a dubious business model.

I also noticed that the UFC is not promoting them or giving them the equal chances.
On the one hand it's a waste of talent but on the other hand I understand it, because muslim russians aren't very marketable in the rest of the world. And if they would give every dagestani fighter the same chance/would take every talented fighter from the caucausus region. In 5-10 years half of the ranked fighters would have a name ending with -ov.

Also a lot of dagestani fighters startet to doing their training camps in America/Thailand.

Back