Fighter Kevin Lee : next steps?

I don't like him and was happy with the result but he is very young and could still be elite. Al is one of those very tough underrated guys.

Work on gamelan, use wrestling more his striking has come along well but his base is wrestling and strength.

Mental game needs work, lose the attitude and understand he's not the uncrowned champ yet.

Better camp?

He has all the tools just not the fight iq, he's too trigger happy and checks out when things get tough. i'd take him to some remote mountains and leave him there

His only hope for improvement is humility, hence, no hope...

Funny how up to just prior to this fight there were many posters here on sherdog that were talking about Lee being a future champ and how he would beat khabib etc.

Now the talk is about how he can change to stay relevant

Funny how a dose of reality will have that effect on clueless fans

he looked better in his previous fights
something was off this time, it looked like he gave up or something, as you said ts, very slow and unaggressive
Yeah he had staph infection again or maybe Al just has Kevins number.
Something only looked off because Iaquinta was kicking his ass. Kevin Lee was expecting to easily submit Iaquinta once it went to ground like first dight Kevin can not submit Al. He gave Al his best and thats pretty much it Iaquinta just shrugged off his sub attempts and destroyed him in the 5th.

He gassed in 2nd round after TD and wrist war. He didnt show it but gassed and he also scared in the 1st round when AL was picking him apart. He was suprised how technical and precise Al was

Go up. Claimed in post fight interview he could put on even more mass since he doesn't have to worry about the cut nearly as much. So may not even be a small 170 lber. And might have a huge positive result on his gas tank which clearly has been an issue. I can't stand him right now but if he went up I would gain a lot of respect for him

Winner of Hernandez vs Cerrone

He needs Greg Jackson at this point

How many Kevin Lee threads do we need?

He has peaked in the UFC. He can be a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond (Bellator).

Bellator is full of small fish in small pond

They are Kevin Lee status thinking they or their boring talent can compete with UFC. Another set of people who believe their own hype

He should move up to 170. The road to the title at 155 is gonna be hard now and the weight cuts will only get harder

Funny how up to just prior to this fight there were many posters here on sherdog that were talking about Lee being a future champ and how he would beat khabib etc.

Now the talk is about how he can change to stay relevant

Funny how a dose of reality will have that effect on clueless fans

He is still a bad matchup for Khabib

Needs to let go of his ego, work on his striking and have a proper gameplan. He did take Al down at will before he gassed in the later rounds, yet he barely attempted to do so and chose to stand with him. He must've really thought he was going to walk right through him.

Also, this doom and gloom on Sherdog after a fighter loses needs to stop. Lee's young. He'll be back.

I felt like his main problems were striking defense, gas tank and lack of confidence/ferociousness. Al clearly wasn't scared, but Kevin seemed a bit scared and shut down his offense. He won Rounds 2 & 3 and should have prioritized the takedowns and GNP. He's good when he does that.

How he adjusts and performs next time will say a lot.

He is still a bad matchup for Khabib

You are actually dumb enough to believe that?

Wow...

How is he a bad matchup? Please tell me because I need to hear this one.

Khabib has better standup, better chin, better cardio, better wrestling. Lee has one less sub win than Khabib but lets say for the sake of argument his sub game is slightly better. His sub game is predicated on ground control. There is simply no indication that he has superior ground control than Khabib. Hell he struggled to take Al down last night while Khabib took him down at will.

His only hope for improvement is humility, hence, no hope...

This spot on. If he takes this loss as a learning experience and becomes humbled, he might just make it in 155. Likely going to act like he won the fight and carry it with him till he retires.

New camp, new nutritionist, less cocky talk.
Training with floyd mayweathers people is probably horrible for mma fighters. Those dudes dont know shit about mma striking.
Mayweather Gyms training style doesnt seem to translate well to MMA. Mo Lawal trains there as well and he's constantly getting knocked out.

Back