Fighter Contracts in UFC Since WME

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by nfffffku, Oct 22, 2017.

1. nfffffku Blue Belt

nfffffku
    Does anyone know if fighter contracts have changed for UFC fighters since WME took over?

It seems like a lot more guys who want to get out of their contracts are being successful. Whereas Zuffa UFC had that shit on lock.

Once you entered you never left, unless you went on a really severe downward spiral.

I’m wondering if this is due to WME’s management style, or if the contracts now are easier to get out of/are more lenient.

DaPunkMinowaMan likes this.
  2. elbowsandwiches Brown Belt

elbowsandwiches
    You're asking with some really hard questions

pick999 likes this.
  3. SCTwins Brown Belt

SCTwins
    I don't think the questions are that hard if you bother to read them, which I did not.

4. elbowsandwiches Brown Belt

elbowsandwiches
    You would have to have copies of both contracts before WME and after...., and then compare them both.

P4PSHERGOAT likes this.
  5. Drain Bamage Green Belt

Drain Bamage

Why do you care, are you a prospective fighter?

6. RampageFaction Purple Belt

RampageFaction
    Name some fighters....just name 1.

7. rjmbrd Silver Belt

rjmbrd

Pursuant to litigation, we have the complete Eddie Alvarez Zuffa fight contract entered in the public record. You can google and read it in detail, or find various articles with law professors and sports agents commenting on it.

Its been confirmed that much of it is standardized boilerplate, so we should expect it to broadly represent all Zuffa contracts of that time.

TS is asking if anyone has discussed, openly or as a rumor, what the recent contracts contain compared to what we already know was previously included.

Black Paladin, nfffffku and UhHuhSure like this.
  8. elbowsandwiches Brown Belt

elbowsandwiches
    I think it all boils down to the UFC's discretion

9. thobra Black Belt

thobra
    I doubt they have changed contracts.
    Bellator is just paying more now.

Pumphrey94 likes this.
  10. Munnings242 Green Belt

Munnings242
    I would say since sponsorships are taking away fighters are realizing how shitty their contracts are or just jealous of conor

11. Only Here for Attachments I'm on the prowl... for sexy attachments!

Only Here for Attachments
    Only thing that has changed IIRC is that all champions are required to sign a movie/reality TV deal with WME. Ever wonder why there are so few title defenses anymore?

12. Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

Myrddin Wild
    I don't know how their contracts have changed, but Tito & Couture used to give the UFC major fits regarding their contracts. They stuck around cause they ended up getting paid though so maybe not the best examples for this topic.

Belfort & Nick Diaz was in & out of the UFC (pre & post Zuffa). Hendo Split for strikeforce after a UFC Zuffa run. Karo Parisian had a pretty impressive record when he left zuffa. Tim Silvia & Arlovski both split as top contenders etc....

So it's been going on for a very long time.

You gotta think the Rebok deal ain't helping fighters stick around though either.

13. TheRassler ---- L E G E N D A R Y --------- p4p GOAT poster

TheRassler
    USFC

U Still Fight Cheap

JimmyJumper and myjohnson9 like this.
  14. RampageFaction Purple Belt

RampageFaction
    Tito and Randy might have tried to give the UFC fits, but neither one of them could "get out of their contracts." Randy spent tons of money in court before finally giving up. BJ penn's contract expired which allowed him to fight in K-1 before being stripped of the WW title. Tito wanted out but fought out his contract and left. Dan and Vitor, same thing. Dan went to strikeforce because his contract had been satisfied and, according to Dan, Anderson was ducking the shit out of their rematch. Karo parisyan didn't "leave" Zuffa, he was cut because he had a drug problem and pulled out last minute from the Dustin Hazelett fight. Nobody has ever "left" the UFC while under contract unless they were simply released. I'm still waiting to hear from the OP about all these fighters recently getting out of their contracts because I'm pretty sure it isn't true. The UFC isn't stupid and their contracts are pretty restrictive. You can spend a ton of your own money fighting it out in court with the UFC's attorneys....you'll just end up broke and still under contract.

Myrddin Wild likes this.
  15. Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

Myrddin Wild
    I was answering more to the 3rd line in the OP that suggests that Zuffa didn't allow anyone out of the "UFC"...
    so my examples of people like Hendo, Belfort, Nick, Silvia, Arlovski etc... was to show that yes people did leave the UFC while they were on top... or still doing well.

I didn't know that about Karo. :oops:

To your point... the OP did suggest in the 2nd line, that people were currently "getting out of their contracts."

I agree that I don't see anyone getting out of their contracts. Unless you fullfill your contract... the only way out... is to never fight professionally again. As long as you retire & never fight again... you are legally allowed to void the remaining number of fights in your contract.

16. nfffffku Blue Belt

nfffffku
    Thanks, dudes. You guys basically answered my question.

Sounds like fighters are not “getting out of their contracts” per se, but that the UFC is simply letting them out their contracts early, or are not pursuing fighters that have satisfied their contract.

This seems to be more of a cultural/business change. Rather than fighters willfully getting out of these contracts themselves.

If I remember correctly though, Zuffa UFC would aggressively pursue fighters like Mousasi, Rory Macdonald, and even Uncle Creepy through contract negotiations and utilizing built in advantages like their matching clause, which allowed them to keep matching any offer from another organization.

It does seem, to me at least, that there has been a shift, and fighters are finding it easier to be released from their contracts, or pursue free agency.

RampageFaction and Myrddin Wild like this.
  17. FrankieNYC RIP SHONUF!

FrankieNYC
    its not that they are let out of a contract
    It is once the contract is over, UFC are not matching some offers to keep a fighter
    if UFC matches an offer, they can keep the fighter or the fighter has to sit out a year.
    Bellator has that as well in their contracts

18. Metallicalabran Don't be scared homie!

Metallicalabran
    zuffa somewhat intended to maintain legitimacy of the sport keeping the best fighters under contract

New administration doesn't care at all about sport and only care about money, that's why only champions and stars have their jobs secure, everyone else, talented but not a big draw doesn't care for the new administration and will be gone to Bellator because UFC doesn't care to make those guys happy with better contracts, no money for UFC there

We had a golden era for the sport, when the Fertitas wanted to keep all the talent together. Now UFC I just all about money, big draws = big contracts. Everyone else, fuck off

Sad but true

19. nfffffku Blue Belt

nfffffku
    Thanks, yeah I see that now.

FrankieNYC likes this.
  20. RampageFaction Purple Belt

RampageFaction
    Are you taking about champions? I know that's what Zuffa tried to use against BJ Penn. But Mousasi, as far as I know, the UFC matched the bellator offer and exceeded it but Gegard still walked. Champs have the added clause once their contract expires but as far as I know if you're not champ you can leave regardless once you've fought out your contract.

FrankieNYC likes this.