Fighter Badly Misses Weight at UFC Japan Weigh-Ins, Stumbles off Scale

i agree totally. Spend more time training technique and pushing your cardio and not counting calories and feeling hungry for weeks tryin to grind thru training and you havnt even started cutting weight yet.

and ask anyone who has ever had to cut weight multiple times. They always dont go easy peezy and sometimes your body just doesnt want to get with the program.
Very good point. Anyone remember Benson Henderson vs Brandon Thatch?

I still don't understand why fighters choose to cut so much weight.

Man,I've taken dumps that weighed more than that.

I know, I know, I really got start eating better.

Ahead of the promotion’s most recent attendance in Japan, to be headlined by a fairly uninteresting fight between Ovince Saint Preux and a returning Yushin Okami, drama unfolded on the scale.

Featherweight Mizuto Hirota, 1-3-1 in the UFC, arrived as the last to weigh in among athletes slated for the card and looked off from the moment he appeared from behind the curtain. Swaying slightly as he met the public, he shuffled to the scale and climbed on.

150 pounds.

It was an egregious miss in its own right, four pounds above the non-title featherweight limit, but it got worse from there.

Hirota, badly drained and looking a little aloof, resignedly took a second to ponder his miss before making a move to exit the scale. When he did, he quite evidently became temporarily overwhelmed and stumbled from the scale, saved from falling only by a pair of UFC overseers who caught him.

Hirota is the most recent example, coming but a few weeks after Ray Borg was pulled from a title fight due to complications arising during his weight cut and after superstar Paige VanZant announced moving up in weight after passing out cutting to 115 pounds.

Adding insult to injury, Hirota will forfeit 30 percent of his purse to his opponent. Check out video of his weigh-in below.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ght-at-ufc-japan-weigh-ins-stumbles-off-scale

They need to reinstate Iv usage to rehydrate after a weigh ins...like they've always done...this is only going to hurt the fighters health...they are always going to fight below the weight they should...

I don't disagree that weight cutting is dangerous but have you ever competed in combat vs someone who is equally skilled and bigger? It's not a good combo plus a lot of guys do it properly and are recovered by fight day.

There's no such thing as "properly". Severely starving and dehydrating yourself and then reintroducing that water weight over a 3-4 day period is bad for you no matter how you slice it.

I only knew him as the cocky fighter that got dismembered by Aoki. Still amazes me how he got into the UFC in the first place.

Damn...30 percent

And I know they pay Asian fighters like him literally nothing. After taxes and the 30 percent cut he will be lucky to walk away with like 1000 bucks...literally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back