Fight with the most serious long-term injuries suffered followed by KO

death_by_teeps

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just saw the thread talking about Marc Diakiese injuring Teemu Packalen's knee with a sidekick, then knocking him out stiff. Reportedly, his MCL requires surgery. So this poor guy sustained two serious injuries.

Makes me wonder what the record is of the most injuries a fighter has sustained in a match. Broken orbital bones, joints, concussions, retna's, etc, serious injuries. Excluding death.

Does anybody have any information as I have searched on that. Is it two injuries? Three? Five? What is the worst damage? Has anybody blown both knees? Or a knee, an orbital, an eye, and a KO?

I'm going to just throw out the first fight that came to mind:

Igor Vovchanchyn vs Enson Inoue

Torn ACL's seem to cause the longest time out, just look at Cruz.

I think Palhares tore two peoples ACL's consecutively a few years back, Dave Branch was one of them of I'm not mistaken.

As far as I'm aware, that used to be a career ending injury for a sports person 30+ years ago, but now they've got it down to 8-12 months.

Also had a torn MCL myself, not nice and causes knock on injuries which I still have.

Connie McGoober broke nate's nose, then skull then spirit forcing him to panic clinch.

I'm going to just throw out the first fight that came to mind:

Igor Vovchanchyn vs Enson Inoue
The beating Enson took was brutal. Broken Jaw, brain swelling, Major concussion, and a burst ear drum. the whole nine yards. He was fucked up, and a seemingly clueless ref/doctor staff didn't do a thing to intervene until the round ended to which he had to be drug back to his corner, where he collapsed and doctors finally examined him.

The beating Enson took was brutal. Broken Jaw, brain swelling, Major concussion, and a burst ear drum. the whole nine yards. He was fucked up, and a seemingly clueless ref/doctor staff didn't do a thing to intervene until the round ended to which he had to be drug back to his corner, where he collapsed and doctors finally examined him.

I think it was because watching it as it unfolded nobody really thought he was THAT hurt until he tried to get off the ground. It wasn't until he had to literally be dragged/carried to his corner that the realization set in just how much damage had been done. It's not like Igor was in full mount raining shots down, Inoue was covering up and defending pretty well for a guy who probably would have died in the ring had it gone on for another few minutes.

That said, the sheer viciousness Igor was able to put behind punches in that position is pretty goddamn terrifying to think about. How many guys almost killed another pro fighter while landing shots from in their guard?

Remember when Uriah Hall hit Chris Leben so hard he retired while laying on the canvas. that one was particularly brutal to me lol

I'm still emotionally hurt from the first Chuck v Rampage fight. And my boy Chuck can barely talk still to this day.

I think Bader said he woke up in Titos guillotine, so a KO + choke out. I'm sure it's not the worst but it came to mind.

I think it was because watching it as it unfolded nobody really thought he was THAT hurt until he tried to get off the ground. It wasn't until he had to literally be dragged/carried to his corner that the realization set in just how much damage had been done. It's not like Igor was in full mount raining shots down, Inoue was covering up and defending pretty well for a guy who probably would have died in the ring had it gone on for another few minutes.

That said, the sheer viciousness Igor was able to put behind punches in that position is pretty goddamn terrifying to think about. How many guys almost killed another pro fighter while landing shots from in their guard?
I dunno. The way they had to drag him to the center of the ring for the reset when they ended up in the ropes, and he was just looking up at the refs helplessly as they did. There were signs I feel, they just often let guys get absolutely wailed on.

The answer you're looking for is Jens Pulver vs John Lewis. It wasn't a prolonged beating like Igor vs Enson. It was a 1-punch KO, and it ended Lewis' career. Pulver was pretty injured coming in and knew that punch was his only chance, and landed it. It shattered Lewis' jaw, knocked out a whole bunch of teeth, and caused some other problems I believe.

Michael Venom Page
Vs
Evangelista Cybog Santos

Worst I've heard about in combat sports is Jack Dempsey v Jess WIllard

F.Shamrock vs I.Zinoviev
Cal Worsham - Zane Frazier

Back